1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pc just doesn't seem right

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mrcapdown, Jul 15, 2021.

1. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

So as the story goes my bulid was as follows.

Intel I5 6600k OC to 4.8GHz
    (ID Cooling 240mm aio water cooler with 2x upgraded fans Enermax T.B. RGB Advance 120mm )

4X Enermax T.B. RGB Advance 120mm fans

MSI z170a krait gaming motherboard

Corsair Vengeance ddr4 28GB mixed speed ram.

Asus Strix RX580 8GB graphics card.

Samsung SSD 960 EVO 256GB nvme

Samsung SSD 970 EVO 256GB nvme.

2x Kingston SATA SSD In RAID 0

2x Weston digital 1TB SATA 2.5"
    mechanical drives.

Corsair RM750 80 plus gold certified PSU.

NZXT S340 ELITE CASE.

It was getting a bit dated and had a missmash or Ram so I decided to upgrade the mobo CPU and ram.

Went for

AMD RYZEN 5 3600X 6 CORE CPU OC to 4.4GHz

ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F MOBO.

Crucial Ballistix RGB BL2K8G32C16U4WL 3200 MHz, DDR4 16GB 2X 8GB

So after I install them i formatted my main Nvme drive and installed a fresh install of Windows on it.

But it just seems sluggish, seems that the upgrades have had the reverse affect.

I currently have Ubuntu 20.04 installed to see if it's the same and it is.

Not sure what's going on.

Possibly a bios setting?
    I must say that the bios are overwhelming after using my old ones.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The images you posted show neither an i5 nor a Ryzen CPU. It's show a Core 2 Quad Q6600, and I see only 3GB of RAM installed.The operating system is Vista? Could you run a CPU Z again and show shots of of the main board and ram tabs? I think you're show an old CPUZ as well because the new version also has a tab for graphics cards.

3. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

Hi,

Thank for your reply.

My Afterdawn profiles pc spec has not been updated in a very long time.

The specs I have posted in this thread are correct.

4. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Have you benchmarked your system to check for bottlenecks? Something appears to be dancing out of step. So let's isolate the parts that can cause that. You might want to start by checking the main drive and then your RAM. Your build isn't that dissimilar to my current 2017 build (Ryzen 7 1700, Samsung EVO 850, Asrock Fatal1ty x370 gaming x,Nvidia GTX1050, CORSAIR Vengeance LED 16GB), and it's quite snappy. Note Samsung has a tool.

Attached Files:

6. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

ok kool. i'm just installing windows 10 and ill bench it. Any benchmarking software recommendations?

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

For your hard drive you can use Samsung Magician like in the image a left above. Let's start there.

8. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Your EVO 960 seems to be faster and runs cooler than your 970?
    I think your issues lies with your hard drives or your RAM. You're obviously an experienced builder, so I'm not going to insult you by suggesting that you check to insure that your firmware is updated. Why is Samsung Magician giving the message no volume found with your EVO 960?

Attached Files:

10. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

Its split in to two partitions. One for Windows and one for Ubuntu, so I'm guessing it can't read the Ext4 file format.

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Have you tried unplugging one of the drives to see if that helps?

12. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

So right is before and left is current.
    Very odd this bios. There is no X.M.P setting to simply turn it on or off so I had just set the ram speed to run at 3200mhz but didn't realize it was only running bat 2666mhz in windows.

After a quick Google I found that there is a setting in A.I overclock tuner in the bios that was set to auto and it need to be set to D.O.C.P Standard to enable X.M.P.
    So I have reset bios to default and enabled this setting and cpuz is not showing ram speed of 1599mhz (3200mhz) so I'm guessing X.M.P is now enabled.

1626640284284_xmp.JPG

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Good for you! Configuration is probably the most common issue. Does your system still feel sluggish or has this resolved it?

14. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

I'm just going through the system and have a good few apps open and lots of file transfers going on and it don't seem to bad actually.
    You see what you said about the Evo 960 you was right with what you said. I have the Evo 970 split in two for Windows and Ubuntu install only and use the Evo 960 to install all my windows programs and apps on and the Kingston ssdd in raid 0 to install windows games on.
    For some reason the 960 with the windows programs on has currpted it's partition.
    Just secure erasing it now.

Also not sure if you know much about rysen overclocking but hopefully you can help me learn abit more as this is my first AMD CPU.
    You see in the before I have it over clocked to 4.4ghz and after once I had reset the bios back to default and run the beachmark again I see it hitting speeds of 4.4ghz (I'm guessing some AMD auto overclocking).
    Do you think there is much gain from me over clocking it manually to 4.4ghz or just leave it as is?

Thanks for all your help by the way.

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You seem to know how to overclock, in my view it's best done in your mainboard bios, but Ryzen Master is a good place to start testing your settings. Go incrementally and keep an eye on your temperatures. It would be best if you purchase an aftermarket heatsink/fan cooler.

16. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

I have a IDcooling 240mm AIO and I've have upgraded both rad fans to Enermax T.B when it was clocked at 4.4GHz before idle ranged between 26*/30* and on a full load I see it at most get to around 68*.

So cooling should be more than sufficient.

The reason I ask is after having only intel CPUs the last 15 years and over clocking only them the last 10 or so years Intel CPUs overclocking bios setting seem very basic and only a few settings to tweak but the RYZEN settings in the bios seem to have a vast amount of different settings to tweak.
    Is there any settings I should look out for to better an overclock or something I should set to help with stability?

I'm just use to upping the multiplier and adding more voltage with Intel's CPUs. IMG_20210718_222434.

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If you're familiar with overclocking then the best thing to do is just sort of jump in and move things up in increments. If you push too hard and the system fails to boot, then pop out the motherboard battery, let it rest for a bit, reinsert, and start over. Ryzen Master software will allow you to overclock and test settings, but as I've mentioned I'd previously mentioned, I prefer to do it all in bios. One caveat is the make and model over your motherboard. I have a moderately aging Ryzen 1700 system.