PC or Mac

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by zafos, Jan 25, 2011.

1. zafos

zafos Regular member

I want to buy a desktop computer with X amount of money.
    I'm going to use it for gaming and programming.
    X money would net me a great pc. I've heard that macs with lower specs are as good as pcs with higher specs, because they utilize their stuff better. So would X money net me a just as good mac?
    I would to install windows on mac(compatibility issues with gaming), but heard drivers are shitty. Also, would mac still utilize their stuff better? Maybe it's their software that makes the difference and a mac with windows is the same as a pc with the same specs with windows.

2. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Just build a dual-boot hackintosh. Best of both worlds, except for the whole unofficial and unlicensed mac partiton part of it. I built a Mac pro running OSX 10.6 worth $2500+ for about $700.
    You say gaming, unless all you play is farmville and angry birds, you want PC.
    Most professional audio/video engineers swear by Mac. If thats not you, why spend double on something with the same specs as a PC?

3. zafos

zafos Regular member

U mean install mac on a pc, alongside windows, right? Because I'm ordering my pc today(intel cpu, ati graphics card).
    I mean utilizing directX 11, online games, crisis etc. So pc it is!
    I think ur right, thank you! I was skeptical about the performance, I'm not that crazy about mac os, but I don't know much about it. I'll be dual booting kubuntu and windows 7, do you think there is any need for me to add mac os in the mix?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  4. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Really no need, to be able to truly install Mac OSX you need specific hardware. You have the needed Intel CPU but i can't promise the rest of the hardware inside your new machine will work.

5. zafos

zafos Regular member

I have:
    motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R (s1336(socket),DDR3,X58)
    graphics card: Sapphire 6970 (PCI-Exoress,GDDR5,2GB)
    cpu: Intel Core I7-950 (s1336(socket),3.06GHz,8MB)
    RAM: Corsair XMS3 6GB DDR3-1600 Ram Kit (PC3-12800,7-8-7-20,3x2GB rams)
    power supply: CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 800W Modular PSU
    cooler: CoolerMaster V8 CPU Cooler CRR-UV8-XBU1-GP
    hard disks: 2 of: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB HDD (64MB cache,7200 RPM, Sata III)
    case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Black Case
    optical drive: a sony dvd RW, don't remember which one :(
    screen: LG M2380DF-P2 LED-TV Monitor 23"
    mouse: Logitech MX518 Gamers optical
    keyboard: Microsoft comfort curve 2000 Greek

Now, promise! XD

6. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

This may be strange but except for the fact i have a
    ---different PSU, mine is only 500W, but Corsair, and more efficient than coolermaster
    ---a 50 GB Vertex2 SSD as boot and a bunch of 1TB disks for storage
    ---5770 graphics instead of 6970

our builds are the same. Same mobo, CPU, RAM, and thats the important part.

Read this Web page http://lifehacker.com/5672051/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-mac-and-install-os-x-in-eight-easy-steps

if it looks like something you want to do let me know. I can show you how to tailor the instructions to your specific setup.

7. zafos

zafos Regular member

Haha, what are the odds!
    I don't have much time on my hands, but the guide states the steps are easy.
    It doesn't say, however, whether my programs will run any faster with mac os. If it isn't necessary, I don't see y I would put myself through the trouble and u already said there is no need.

Although I have to admit, triple booting windows for compatibility, linux for lightweight open source goodness and mac os for pure awesomeness in a brand new custom made pc seems too good to pass up! Btw, I wouldn't lose accessibility of some of my data, right? I want my data to be accessible by all 3 os's.

Tell you what.I will tell this to my brother and if he wants to do it, I'll ask you...but even if he doesn't want to, I'll prolly do this myself in the future, when I have some more time on my hands(u c I am in an exam period right now). So if you want to give me some guidelines, fire away whenever you want.

Thanks for your help man! These forums' amazingness never ceases to amaze me!

8. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

1. The iboot tool that allows OSX to run is a modified bootloader. you could choose any OS during startup once iboot is installed
    2.I have 4x1TB hard drives in a RAID5 array using a PCI-E add-on card. That big array, is split into 6 partitions all NTFS and created using Windows 7. I can read all of them when i boot into OSX.
    3.You are welcome and good luck with exams. My semester just started, only a few classes left for a network admin degree from local college, and they're not the fun tech classes, its the BS Speech and writing and sociology classes you need to round-out the program.

9. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

WHAT!!!Tentacle PRon?

10. zafos

zafos Regular member

Sounds like a dream machine setup. I'll definitely find the time someday!

Oh man, I hear you. I too have these courses, like teaching computing. It sounds like it could be interesting, but is boring as hell and the only reason of its existence, is that every1 takes it for an easy grade...
    And then there is that course its name I find hard to translate, in which you have to write a scientific document. Luckily, they accept the project you have to do in order to graduate.

I honestly have no idea whatsoever about what you just said. XD

11. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

that is because praveesen was a spammer & he\she\it just got hit by lightning.