1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PeerGuardian VS. Protowall how to secure p2p

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by elliott, Jan 15, 2005.

1. markusk

markusk Regular member

Depends on the legislation, in some countries it's not illegal to download. I guess they are after the sharers. No sharers, nothing to download.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  2. trimelon

trimelon Guest

I've checked the latest versions of both... and don't get me wrong... both are great pieces of software but...

PeerGuardian is now storming past Protowall in terms of features, compatibility and ease of use. I use PeerGuardian but the more detailed blocklists come from the same site that PW comes from...

so I mix and match.

3. wolfport

wolfport Member

The RIAA/MPAA does go to downloaders and uploaders. A 13 year old girl was convicted 2 years ago for downloading music and was charged $3,000. She paid a dollar for each song and she had 3000 songs in total...

So, yes, they go to both downloaders and uploaders.

BTW guys, downloading from mIRC isnt much of a safety. Because if the RIAA/MPAA attack that irc channel, the p2p irc channel will have to hand over all the downloading logs or they will get sued. And guess whats in the log? your ip.

4. arthurpod

arthurpod Guest

I would like to know if you use protowall, your ip address will no be seen by everyone blocked by the PW. And if you will not see the files those blocked ip are sharing in p2p programs.

5. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

The chances of getting sued are like... 0000000000000.1% or something like that, and protowall + PeerGuardian reduce this also.

Also.. does anyone know.. if the MPAA/RIAA have any say in the UK. I know copyright laws apply in the UK, but do the MPAA/RIAA have any power over P2P users in the UK?

-Mike

6. wolfport

wolfport Member

I dont think its that slim to not get caught, lots of people got sued by the RIAA/MPAA, thats how they make their money. I'm pretty sure the RIAA/MPAA already have your ip logged in their database, but they haven't sued. Simply because they know that suing individuals wont work, so recently they are starting to sue the source it self.

And yes, the MPAA/RIAA have a say in the U.K. The rules and copy right materials of the MPAA do not change just because its being traded in a different country. So, any one in the world that use their products and break the agreement would get sued.

7. Laxters

Laxters Member

stupid ques, but how do u use blocklist manager to get a new list of ips for protowall?? i always click check for new sources but dunt get any returns. anyone can help me with this prob?

8. raddish

raddish Member

>Also.. does anyone know.. if the MPAA/RIAA have any say in the UK. I >know copyright laws apply in the UK, but do the MPAA/RIAA have any >power over P2P users in the UK?

No - they don't have any power outside of America.
    However, the copywrite representative in that country does have power (such as recording companies etc . . .)
    So far there hasn't been that much suing outside of America other than in Australia where I understand Sony Music have been doing some suing.

9. jspaldo

jspaldo Member

I would recommend PeerGuardian over Protowall. First of all, anyone who installs Protowall is going to experience the "can't find protowall.sys" error. While it's easy to correct, (instructions below) I have also experienced other errors even after it was installed correctly. After repeatedly experiencing bugs in Protowall I finally gave up and switched to PeerGuardian. PeerGuardian has to this point been flawless. I did experience an error in PeerGuardian that involved loading an empty blocklist. However, I created that list using BLM from the company BlueTack (the same company that created Protowall). It turns out that the bug was in BLM, not PeerGuardian. So now I refuse to use any software created by the company BlueTack. All of their programs have bugs in them. Stay far away from Protowall and BLM.

Instructions for fixing Protowall.sys error:

Open up your network connections folder.
    Right click on your network adapter or modem.
    Click properties.
    Click the networking tab.
    Click on Protowall and click uninstall.
    Open up windows explorer and create a new folder named c:\protowall
    Copy the contents of the c:\program files\protowall\win_xp\ folder
    (your installation directory may be different, try looking under dudez)
    Paste those contents into the c:\protowall folder
    Go back to the networking tab
    Click install
    Click Service
    Click Have Disk
    Browse to c:\protowall
    Click ok

By the way, there is quite a bit going on in Europe regarding copyrights. The company that created macrovision recently forced the creator of DVD Decrypter to take down his website and stop distributing and developing his software. I believe he was located in England. The software is still available for download from a website hosted in Finland since that country has yet to adopt certain copyright laws. However, you may never see a new version of dvd decrypter ever again. One other note, I would suggest not visiting the dvddecrypter website or trying to email them since the website is now in the hands of Macrovision.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  10. mattn1979

mattn1979 Guest

Hey all,
    Funny I use Peer-guardian with no Problams with speed at all. I also have Azureus+Limewire(FYI-Limewire is no longer supporting Copyrighted music, app's ect.) Their are two other program's I use called Tor & Privoxy which work together helping Anonymous web Browsing.
    (Tor)traffic is safer when you use Tor, because communications are bounced around a distributed network of servers, called onion routers. Instead of taking a direct route from source to destination, data packets on the Tor network take a random pathway through several servers that cover your tracks so no observer at any single point can tell where the data came from or where it's going. This makes it hard for recipients, observers, and even the onion routers themselves to figure out who and where you are.
    (Privoxy) is a web proxy with advanced filtering capabilities for protecting privacy. go to http://Tor.eff.org and http://Privoxy.org to find out more about how they both work together to protect you. It can slowdown you Browser speeds so only use them when your browsing for torrents ect...

Thank guys=Cheers

11. mattn1979

mattn1979 Guest

Hey All agian,
    In azureus I always have gotten yellow face problms/NAT!But I recently opened Ports 6881-6889 and ever since then Im getting hits by Sony Corp on my Protowall. Is fast speeds worth being probed by Sony? Did they do it before?

Thanks + Cheers

12. pmaknelho

pmaknelho Regular member

I thought you said you were safe because you're using proxies. Maybe you got sold out to Sony

13. mattn1979

mattn1979 Guest

Hey All,
    it's Like using a condom, your never 100% safe. But if you are willing to take a risk?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2005
  14. ldglance

ldglance Member

hey well if you ever want to be truly out of trouble just spoof your mac address and go to your local stupid wireless user that does not lock their wireless network and just use theirs. and if the authorits get the ip adress they will get the other persons and if you ever conect to the network again just spoof your mac address again so they can not tell that it is you. but that is if your willing to wait for a download in your car next to a persons house and use their high speed internet. also it works better if you do it at night when they are asleep so they do not go look out side when their internet just like slows the hell down.

though you still have the chance of geting hacked in to but hell, long as you know what your doing it is all good.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2006
  15. inaz

inaz Member

iphantom looks good. Totally anonymous p2p, scans all traffic for virii, and spyware. Best of all, it's a little hardware device, so no need to run software on your computer. However, the device costs $80 with a $10/mo subscription.

16. Dwonder

Dwonder Member

i wanna reduce my chances to be seen right so i want to get protowall since i have heard goo things about it but what do i need and how do i install it also i have azureaus and limewire.

<i remember it all when it was all so simple>

17. berger103

berger103 Guest

I heard that iphantom is a scam