Philips DVP-642 Subtitles

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by guruuno, May 19, 2005.

1. guruuno

guruuno Member

Combined on CD, movie.srt (pure ASCII in required format) with movie.avi file, when put in player, .srt file shows ICON with "?" (question mark) instead of "TEXT" as indicated it should (as per manual, forums) on the menu, and will not play the subtitle with the AVI/DIVX file..

Tried 1109, 1112 firmware, no difference.

Philips tech support says, buy a new one.

Any solutions?

BTW Media Player Classic plays the AVI file on my PC displaying the subtitle.

2. tayna4u

tayna4u Member

It looks like a lot of people who need subtitles have this problem. Vast majority of folks do not need/are not interested in subtitles at all and that's why the topic is left aside.

I too have a problem with subtitles. Tried every possible recommendation found on the web:
    1. Having both movie and subtitle in the same folder
    2. Movie and title have to have the same name (different extension though)
    3. Names should be less than 12 characters long
    4. Use .srt and not .sub

But nothing really works. What I suspect is that maybe my firmware can not play character set that I have for my subtitles. My player is bought in Canada and need to display Serbian subtitles. I will repeat the test with subtitles in English.

At one place I found that 630 is in fact 642 counterpart, made for European market. 630 officialy supports subtitles for the countries/regions that I need, where 642 does not provide such support.

3. tayna4u

tayna4u Member

Don't waste your time trying to get even subtitles in English, cause it does not work. I guess, if your player does not play subtitles (for whatever heavenly reason) you are doomed.

4. mosca33

mosca33 Member

i've had the same problem and a couple of people have said that if you are on a MAC burning the srt files with Toast the 642 will not recognize it. Those same people took the same file and burned with Nero on a PC or virtual PC and it worked fine. Somewhere in these boards there was a thread also saying that they had success on a mac using Discribe to burn the files. I tried it myself and it only worked one time and I can't figure out why it won't work again. My player just spits the CD out after it tries to load. I'm back on the boards trying to see if there is another fix on burning .srt files on the mac. Frustrating.

5. ukraine01

ukraine01 Member

I couldn't play English subtitles on my 642/37, 1109. I tried srt, smi, sub. Turned out there is a separate page inserted in my manual with instructions for subtitles.

1. On the Disc Menu use UP/DOWN keys to highlight the subtitle file.
    2. Press SUBTITLE button. "DIVX SUBTITLE SELECTED" appears on TV screen.
    3. Press UP/DOWN to higlight the movie, press OK to play.

During the playback press SUBTITLE to select available font: SUBTITLE1/1, LATIN 1 (ISO 8859-1), LATIN 2 (ISO 8859-2), CYRILLIC (ISO 8859-5).
    Subtitle files with following filename extensions srt, smi, sub are supported.

Everything works now. Using 8+3 filenames. Tried only plain English subs.

6. guruuno

guruuno Member

Problem solved.

I was burning with Copy2DVD/CD.
    Use NERO.

Settings=
    When recording, always add ISO file version extension (;1) in the file
    names. If you use Joliet, add this to joliet names also. Nero Burning
    ROM does it right.

Meaning, No multisession, Data Mode=Mode 1, Filename length 8+3=11 (Max of 11)(Level 1), Character set =ISO 9660 (Standard) and Relax Restrictions NO CHECKMARKS

Burned movie.avi and movie.srt, played fine in my DVP-642.

However, I have another movie, that quits after about 10-15 seconds and goes back to the menu, I'm assuming it's something different.

Anyone got the 1223 Firmware???

7. ukraine01

ukraine01 Member

Actually, it works for me with Multisession ON in Nero. I even added another two sessions on top of the first one.

8. nostrand

nostrand Member

i have a philips dvp 642 and my .srt files show up as a question mark.

i'm burning them using toast and i think that could be my probelm but i'm not sure.

any help would be appreciated.

9. renatom

renatom Member

I usually watch my AVI movies with subtitles (SRT) in DVP-642, it plays fine (ISO9660)

Now I got some movies with MPEG / MPG extesions and I did all the same procedure for the AVI.
    . Subtitle with the same name of the movie, movie with less than 8 characters, burn with ISO9660.

The movie runs fine but subtitle is not displayed. Does anyone can help me ?

10. mosca33

mosca33 Member

I am using a Mac I found the only thing that has finally worked for me is:

-Open .srt file with TextEdit
    -Go to "File" then "Save As..."
    -Change "Plain Text Encoding:" options to "Latin-US (DOS)"
    -Add ".srt" extension to name before clicking "Save"
    -Click "Use .srt" and then "Replace" the existing file with your newly encoded .srt.

I almost gave up and thought I tried everything on this and other boards and I finally figured out something that works for me. Other threads have said to make sure that it is in plain text format which I thought I did but changing it to plain text with the Latin-US (DOS) was the only specific setting that worked for me! Those of you still getting the question mark may want to look at the encoding of the text file. Hope this helps someone!

11. renatom

renatom Member

But this will work with MPEG files or only with AVI ? I mean I know that AVI + SRT in ISO 9660 mode works fine, but my question was MPEG + SRT

12. mosca33

mosca33 Member

I haven't read anywhere that it would work with mpeg. Only avi is what I've seen being discussed with SRT subtitles. Have you ever heard differently?

13. sfgsg

sfgsg Member

i found that sometimes files created in different operating systems cause problems. for the longest time, i couldn't get subtitles to display. however, when i converted the line endings from unix to dos line ending by using this website, the srts started working perfectly.

http://www.software-path.com/cgi-bin/line_end.cgi?justconvert=UNIX2Dos

a way to test if your srt file is using unix line endings is opening it up with notepad. if you notice that all the text is jumbled together with no separation between differently timed subtitle lines, then it is using a unix ending. if you do the conversion and open the file, you will see that the subtitles become much neater and properly segregated. i hope this helps.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2005
  14. Lazworks

Lazworks Member

After working with this tonight (purchased the 642/37 this afternoon) I finally figured out a way to get subtitles to work. My apologies if this has already been posted but I must have sifted though most of the topics on a number of forums to finally piece it together:

Rename the video and subtitles the same with their respective extensions "Movie" or "Movie1"/"Movie2" so it looks something like this:
    Movie1.avi
    Movie1.srt

Then you can do what others have instructed - highlight subtitles and then press the "subtitles" button on the remote, highlight the movie file and play.

I burned DVDs with multiple movies in their own folders named after the movie so I know what's what. After doing this I was finally able to view the subtitles. I hope this works for all of you who are at your wit's end.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2006
  15. tayna4u

tayna4u Member

The key thing to get subtitles working with Phillips 642 is to follow directions provided by "guruuno"

16. gmtfan

gmtfan Member

Thx [bold]Lazworks[/bold]
    After a while figuring out how to deal with AVI w/ sub, I am tired to try new method w/ DVP642/37.
    With your tips, I finally get AVI and SUB working...
    I will no longer have to spend thousand of hours for converting AVI to DVD any more.

Thank bro

17. IlMare05

IlMare05 Member

Does anybody know how to change the font on the subtitle files(.srt)?
    My font is so small on the screen and very difficult to read. I've open the .srt file in the notepad and tried to change the font to larger size or bold but it does not take any effect when I play the disc....
    Thanks!

18. gmtfan

gmtfan Member

I think it could not be changed.