Philips dvp5140 (solved)

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by basquiat, Nov 14, 2006.

1. basquiat

basquiat Regular member

ok i bought tghis unit a few months ago, been playing divx dvds and backup dvds fine, so the other day i buy king kong on dvd from a store, go to play it and the colors are being all washed around like theres a giant magnet moving around my tv, and the brightness is like fading in and out and flickering...so i borrowed a bunch of dvds from my neighbor and they all do the same thing,

this is the weird part, i make a backup of kingkong and it plays normal, so next i see all the dvds are region 1 so i do the hack thing to check what region my player is set on and it is region 1, any ideas what is going on here? thanx.

edit: ok i solved this, i had it running through a vcr that has multiple av inputs because my tv only has 1, anyways something in the vcr dosent like original pressed dvds i guess but has no problems with burned dvds,since all my burned dvds and divx discs played fine i never thought to check that it was the vcr till now, so i will be heading to radioshack tommorow to pick up a cheap 4 port a/v selector switch and that should do the trick.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  2. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

The copy protection in the original DVD is what caused the magnet-like thing. If it were hooked up directly to the t.v. you probably would not have noticed. DVD backups usually have the copy protection removed.

3. basquiat

basquiat Regular member

i dont understand why the vcr made it do that....and wondering if a a/v switch will do the same thing.

4. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

When you run the DVD player signal (from a copy protected DVD) through anything like a VCR's inputs it activates the copy protection and it distorts the picture to keep you from taping the movie. A switcher will not have the same effect and can be found relatively cheaply.

5. basquiat

basquiat Regular member

you know that makes total sense to me now, forgot about the days of recording stuff 2 vhs, anyways thanx for the explanations.

6. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Yeah, we're spoiled now with all of our backups! lol!