philips DVP630/02 (US 642) won't read Verbatim DVD+R DL

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by caldus, Oct 12, 2005.

1. caldus

caldus Member

Hello

I burned a film on [bold]double layer dvd+r (Verbatim) [/bold]successfully with the NEC 3540 writer - it works fine on my computer.

But when I insert it in my [bold]Philips dvp630/02 [/bold]player it shows PLAYING command, but on my TV there is a blank screen.

I am using the latest version of firmware: 0603.

Did I burn the disc wrong or should I use different firmware?

Thank you for your HELP.
    Dusan

2. gear79

gear79 Guest

does the dvd player have a menu for mpeg output? try fooling with the menu options for playback, ie; bitstream, pcm, mpeg, whatever options you have.
    my guess, hope it helps

3. caldus

caldus Member

I played a lot with my menu, but unfortinately nothing has changed!

:(

4. gear79

gear79 Guest

try another disc to see if it plays normally, (a burned one) then run your disc that does not play through an error proggy, see if the disk has errors..
    what speed did you bur at by the way? always do 4x or less to begin with until you know you can go to at least 6x, even 8x, but all will lead you to do 4x or less. but some do, i have done 6x successfully on verbatim and fuji...
    if you do 4x already, good on you then...
    but try that above..

5. caldus

caldus Member

other burned discs DVD-R & DVD+R play normally.

DVD+R DL: I burned it with DVD Decrypter with the 2.4× and they are without errrors.

It is strange, because when I insert DVD+R DL into my DVD PLAYER 630/02 I can see it, that is recognized as DVD and it shows command PLAY??
    But unfortinately that is all.
    The movie never starts.

6. catfreak

catfreak Active member

I have burned several Verbatim +R DL discs at 8x (booktyping them to DVD-ROM) and they played without any problems on my Philips DVP642. I've also burned DL discs at 6x, 4x and 2.4x and they have all played just fine in all but one (POS) player. ALL of the discs have been booktyped ... Are you booktyping your copies?

7. gear79

gear79 Guest

@catfreak
    he did mention using dvd-r as well as plus.....

but yes, try to booktype to dvd-rom
    see if it helps.
    could just be that it does not recognize a burned d/l disk
    unless you have others and those play.
    or try the burn again and see if it plays, could be just an error on the disk that the pc does not see but the dvd stand alone does..
    just a guess...

8. caldus

caldus Member

I already burned 4 of the DVD+R DL, all of them were burned with [bold]booktype[/bold] to DVD-ROM. All of them have the same problem - they don´t play on my standalone DVD PLAYER :(

Tomorrow I will contact the technical help for PHILIPS in my country!

I was told that DVDP-630/02 should support Double layer dvd.

Thanks to both!

9. gear79

gear79 Guest

maybe the player has a firmware update for it then. i know my old LG did, they sent me countless cd's to update and change my firmware, and every one of them made some other problem, fixed one and created another. then i gave up, returned it and bought another newer version. just caught it by 2 days too, otherwise i would have been screwed.