Philips DVP642/37 DVD Player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by gnitso, Aug 21, 2005.

1. gnitso

gnitso Member

I have done alot of reading and I have learned quite a bit. I thought I would finally post about a few things hopefully you guys can help me with.

I bought this DVD player about 1 week ago. August 13, 2005. Now, I don't know if I needed to do it or not but I flashed the firmware to 1109.

lol Did I flash it to an older version? I forgot to check and now I don't know if I did or not. I'm a techie so I pretty much know what I'm doing most of the time.

Ok, so. VirtualDob and Gspot are must haves when you are messing with DivX files. So GET EM.

My question is for subtitles. I know you have to convert it to .srt as I read. I got this movie that has subtitles and comes with .sub files. I used Virtua something (I got from videohelp.com) and now they are .srt files.

So I read that they have to have the same names. Do I have to put them both in a folder together when I burn it as a data cd? Does it instanteously work when I put it in the player? Should I shorten the file name?

I burned a divx movie with .srt subs as a data cd. I didn't put it in a folder or anything and they were named the same. However it doesn't work, i just plays the movie perfectly but no subs. So, how can I get it work? My firmware is now 1109 and I don't know if I downgraded or what.

Thanks!

2. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... My opinion about upgrading firmware on set top DVD players and recorders is if it ain't broke, don't fix it ... Sorry I can't be of any more help than that ...

3. gnitso

gnitso Member

I figured out how to work subtitles when i updated the latest firmware.

you click on menu, highlight the .srt file and hit the "subtitle" button. Then go to ur divx mvoie and hit ok so it plays. They will play and just hit the subittle button while the movie is playing just in case.

How