Philips DVP642--solution to red/blue color problem?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by mrchub, Nov 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

Hi, I've seen several threads elsewhere pertaining to the occasional red/blue inversion problem on the DVP642 while playing DivX or Xvid files, though no final solution. Has anyone found one?

Example: 22 files of a TV series ripped using Decrypter in IFO Mode, all identical at 200MB after encoding using AutoGK with Xvid. Burned with Nero using DVD-ROM UDF mode (I've found that ISO mode--at least with Nero's default settings--was hit or miss, sometimes creating burns where good Xvid files generated a "?" on the DVP's menu instead of the MP4 icon).

Anyway, each spins up on the DVP642, each has the common initial color blurring problem that Xvid files often have on this player (fixed by simply toggling back and forth with the System Menu button), but two of them (episodes 6 and 9 in this case) have the red/blue inversion. Norm Peterson looks like an enormous blue smurf. Curiously, as one user noted, the problem goes away when you zoom--though watching the whole episode at 2x zoom is no solution. The other 20 files are consistent and of very good quality. A similar project with 22 episodes each at 199MB didn't have the problem.

I tried one user's advice to switch between NTSC and Multi in the Video setup, but that didn't work. Also, not my media since I've tried several. The files in question play flawlessly on my PC, of course.

I have the player connected via s-video. Is there a true fix for this? Also, why would AutoGK seem to randomly spit out a couple of files which are seemingly different from the others in the batch?Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.