Phillips DVD Player HDMI

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by beefjerky, Mar 19, 2008.

1. beefjerky

beefjerky Member

I've been recently looking at this player:
    Phillips DVD HDMI

Just wondering if it's a good deal and how it'd look on a 42 in Plasma that only supports up too 720p.

Thanks

PS: would you recommend component or HDMI for a 720p TV?

2. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Hmm, is that thing even an upscaler? They keep coming out with all these new, clever names for them.

You would be better off buying a Toshiba HD-A3, if you can still get one. I think those are retailing for 79 bucks. It will have much better upscaling abilities then that Phillips and you can also watch over 500 HD DVDs and imports. So IMO, I'd spend 10 more dollars and roll with a Toshiba.

Either way you go, they should both look good. Only reason to go with HDMI, would be that it supports higher bits of color, but I think your display is probably only 8-bits anyways. I can't preach this enough, don't pay for those over priced HDMI cables, or any kind of a/v cable you find at those brick and mortar stores for that matter. You can pay 12 bucks for an HDMI cable that will perform just as well as a 100 dollar cable. Check out MonoPrice for your a/v cable needs.

Good luck!

Oh, BTW, some beef or deer jerky sounds REAL good right about now!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2008
  3. beefjerky

beefjerky Member

Wow, the HD-A3 looks really good and the price is pretty much a steal for an HD-DVD/Upconverter Player.

What really caught my eye with the Phillips was the DivX support and USB capability.

Now that you've shown me the HD-A3, I will most likely be investing the extra $20-30.

Thanks

4. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

5. CDubbs

CDubbs Member

I just bought the Philips player at Target for $59 - it's on sale right now. So far, so good. Picture on my 50" Plasma looks great. Supposedly you want to ensure you get the DVP5960 and not the 5900 - there were bugs in that older player.

CNET gives it a thumbs up for best overall quality for the price:
    CNET Review

6. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

where does it retail for 79 dollars?? im looking for one but i cant find any that cheap besides ebay.