Phillips DVD622 won't play all backups

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by burninguy, Jul 24, 2005.

1. burninguy

burninguy Guest

I just bought a Phillips DVD622 from Best Buy and it doesn't play my backups. It says it plays dvd-r and dvd+r formats. The backup will load but then break up when it starts to play. I am using 8x dvd-r RIDATA discs. I want to know which dvd player to buy that will play anything I throw at it. I also have a GE dvd player model GE1101P that has played eveything so far, but it is an older model that I can't find anymore.

2. ecafe

ecafe Member

None, of my DVD's will play in Philips 622/37. error "Bad Disc". I have this same Phillips DVD622/37. I use DVD Shrink & Nero with Sony DVD-R or Staples DVD+R; neither have worked. The philips website has an update to this player labeled Cheetah17-2V1.23-DVD622-37-W0-F180-A1E0-050509A.bin, but have been un-sucessful in updating by CDR following the exact instructions. All the DVD backups have worked on my old RCA dvd player perfectly. What's up, new copy protection technology in the players?

Theory:
    player realizes no encryption is present.
    shrink size problem?
    removed languages (Spanish/French?)

Anyway sure would like to get past this. Any tips or suggestions would be helpful. I am thinking a setting in DVD Shrink or Nero would solve the problem.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Here's some reviews on the philips dvd622 player:
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDnameid=749&Search=Search&#comments

It sounds like a picky player.

burninguy and ecafe, What is the brand name and model # of your dvd-rw drive?

Some burners can booktype the plus format to dvd-rom,making them more compatable on standalones.

4. ecafe

ecafe Member

My DVD writer is the new I/O Magic DVDRW 16x using Nero 6 burning software. I recemtly watched 4 different burned DVD's on an Emerson DVD/VHS Combo player and again it works there. Here is the latest count on hardware that will/won't play my DVD's:
    plays: (RCA, CYBERHOME, EMERSON, I/O MAGIC DVD & IBM Laptop DVD)
    no-play: Phillips DVD622

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Last edited: Aug 27, 2005
  6. ecafe

ecafe Member

All is says is firmware version "A074" vendor specific "/". Also, used Nero Info Tool (nice tool by the way - can download from I/O Magic website) and it says the same with the serial number.

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Is that an external burner?
    I've posted to several threads a few months ago and that firmware version sounds like the same ones members listed on their external I/O magic 16x.

8. ecafe

ecafe Member

It is an internal drive..Don't do the externals. Like the semi-permanent drives.
    Tried something different with a new burn. Removed Region-Free and just put Region 1, no change. Works on RCA, but not on the Philips player.

Question: is there anyway to burn the VIDEO_TS folder contents instead of just the files? All the burning programs seems to just want the files to write, not the folders.

9. ecafe

ecafe Member

update:
    I used DVD Shrink to a folder then manually used Nero 6.x Express "Red Folder" to burn (w/ DVD-R & +R) as in this example to backup the AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS folders. See Item 15
    http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=221453

Confirmed the folders existed after the backup, then tested: The DVD works on my PC DVD rom and an Apex DVD Player unit I purchased for a relative 2 years. Albeit, not on the Philips 622 DVD player..

thinking about scrapping this 622 player, never to use Philips dvd products again!!

10. ecafe

ecafe Member

11. ecafe

ecafe Member

used DVD Shrink, then NERO burn at 4x via the following website suggestion:

next steps:
    burn a 4x max DVD (any format) and it will play using Nero Vision Express, anything above 4x produces a bad disc error
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/234582

It works!!!!!Philips DVD 622/37 can't play any DVD burned at 6x speed.