Phillips DVP 642 and ATI MMC record settings

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by lukekb, Feb 15, 2005.

1. lukekb

lukekb Member

Hi I have the DVP 642 and an AIW 9600Pro. I am having trouble getting the Divx/Mpeg4 files I record in ATI's MMC program to play on the DVP 642. I usaully record the files and the remove the commercials using virtualdub. Some files play fine and others don't even with the same record settings used.

One problem is that it has a fixed number of resolutions I can record to. I am also not sure of the best bitrate to use, I can choose a VBR Max and average or a CBR. So for the horizantel resolutions of 720, 705 and 640 what would be the appropriate vertical res and bitrate setting?

Even though the max bitrate is 3000 what is a good average, I want to have good quality and high resolution but I think I may be having trouble because I am getting close to the max. What is a good CBR bitrate to use?

Last question, what setting should I be using for the number of P & B Frames? I heard that having 2 B-Frames is trouble at the higher res. Also should I set "Closed GOPs"? Any advice on this would be great. Thanks!

-Luke

2. lukekb

lukekb Member

I have been playing around with this more. I always edited my recordings in VirtualDub and I think this might be causing trouble. If I check in Gspot it says the Audio is aligned on interleave. After I edit with virtual dub it says it is split over interleaves. Also the default for MMC mpeg4 recording is 59 P frames in a GOP and not closing it. Should I reduce the number of P Frames? Also should I close the GOP?

Thanks,

Luke