Phillips DVP642 and trouble with some DVD -R's

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Tardus, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Tardus

Tardus Member

I've tried about 30 "backup" DVD -R's in my new DVP642. For some time I've been using the Ritek red label wrapped 50 spindles from Newegg.com

In my old DVD player, computer DVD Player and Xbox, the Ritek DVD -R's have always played every time. But out of 30 DVD's I have burned, 5 of them will not play in the DVP642/17 (newest firmware upgraded).

I'm have no idea... Do you guys think that maybe the unit is just a little touchy on this media type? Why would all discs play fine in other units and just be rejected in this new one which should have any easier time reading DVD -R's?

Thanks

2. torpedo20

torpedo20 Member

Dude, it's not just "some".

Philips DVP642 does not play DVD-R disks. If you look at the list of media supported for that player "-R" is no there. I think it's because Philips (the company) is a "+R" player on the market. I mean it's great that you got some of -R playing on that thing -;)

3. vmidget

vmidget Member

Last edited: Jul 16, 2004
  4. bigboneli

bigboneli Guest

Initial releases for this machine did omit the dvd-r. I tried one the night I got it, and it didn't like it. For SOME strange reason, mine started to play dvd-r's after philips updated it's info on their site...(Either that, or I gave it a little bit longer to try and read it...)
    This is where everyone is getting screwed up with this AWESOME player, is that it was NOT labelled as dvd-r originally, but later was. divx compatable, now certified. still a great machine.

Just help me get past that goddarn qpel codec error!!!

5. bigboneli

bigboneli Guest

And if you check their site, their 'flagship' dvdplayer, the dvd963sa, at 499.99$ (US!!), doesn't show dvd-r. They're a playa in the +rw market, but when you get 1,000,000 divx geeks phoning and deciding on whether to plop down $100 canadian on it over the course of 2 days, ya, you'll PROBABLY update your site to admit it plays -r as well. Powah ;)