Phillips DVP642 - Help with Pal-NTSC

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Tardus, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Tardus

Tardus Member

[SOLVED] Sorry, I didn't see a way to delete this post. Just to cover my bases (even though the '0' appeared onscreen) I did the region hack again and after that PAL DVD's started playing on my unit. Maybe you have to close the CD tray before hitting the power button for the reboot or something odd. Anyway, I'm good - THANKS

I just picked up a DVP642 from CompUSA tonight. So far the only things I've done are:
    verified DVD-R's work
    verified SVCD's work
    verified VCD's work
    entered the [tray-open] 7-8-9-OK-0 region hack
    ('0' was displayed on screen which should mean it was successful).

I have not tried to upgrade the firmware.

I have 3 PAL DVD's (actually backup PAL DVD's) that play fine on my computer with WinDVD. But, if I put one of them in the unit it will read the DVD for awhile and then eject it (it just says 'open' and does not list an error message).

It was my onderstanding that this unit will play a PAL DVD and convert the signal to NTSC, so that I can watch PAL DVD's on my NTSC TV with no external convertor.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

(also - I can't seem to find a "test" PAL DVD like the test VCD and SVC cd's).

Last edited: Jun 25, 2004
  2. Tardus

Tardus Member

Well... at least on my unit it seems like that region fix is not permenant. Either that or the unit is having problems reading my media (Ritek x4 -R)

Getting one PAL DVD to start took 2 tries, and another one never would start.

It seemed to work all the time for the good one if I did this:
    -Powered off the unit
    -Powered on the unit
    -Opened the tray and put the PAL DVD in
    -Entered the Code
    -Pressed the Power button (tray pulls in and the unit turns off)
    -Powered back on the unit

Anything other than that, and it was hit and miss on getting it to play.