Phillips DVP642 playing .VOB files on CD-R

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by BettahD, Sep 8, 2005.

1. BettahD

BettahD Guest

Ok.. i'm having a tiny issue here.

I recently purchased the new Phillips DVD player that plays just about anything. I'm not familiar with the exact model name, but I could find it if needed. Anyway, I was experimenting with files that it will play. I don't have a DVD burner, only a CD burner at the moment. I burned a cd-r with 2 .vob files on them, and the player played them. I downloaded some larger .vob files that I wanted to put on a cd-r for dvd use. For some reason, the first track starts for a second then stops, the second plays but skips heavily, the third plays a bit better but does skip. HIGHLY ANNOYING!

I did burn the cd at 52X as I thought it wouldn't matter, but is that the reason why these aren't playing correctly? When I experimented with smaller .vobs, they worked fine. So, should I burn at a slower speed? Any help would be appreciated!!

Also.. are there any decent FREE programs that convert vobs to vcd? Or any kind of smaller file, without losing too much of the quality?

Again, ANY help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks a ton. :)

ps I posted this in the playback forum also. I figured I would try here because I have all these .vobs on my computer, and if I can't work with them.. I need to delete them

2. catfreak

catfreak Active member

Try this link, hopefully this is what you are looking for ...

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=55

Good Luck to you

3. BettahD

BettahD Guest

Thank you for that! I really do appreciate it. I will definitly try it out after work.

But one more question... does this mean that this supposed 'universal' DVD player I have will not be able to play .vob files burned onto CD-R? If not.. that is kind of odd, since it plays everything else.. but I can deal with it. ;)

Thanks again for the tip!

4. catfreak

catfreak Active member

I have a DVP642, also. I've been able to play everything that I've put in it .. sometimes pretty poorly. To be honest with you, my LiteOn LVW-5005 DVD recorders do a better job of playing everything.