Playback Issues - Please Help

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by lrobert, May 21, 2006.

1. lrobert

lrobert Member

I have some tapes of my kids from a few years back when my son was a baby. They were recorded on a Sony Dcr-trv530 camcorder on HI8 tapes.

Recently we had issues with that camcorder as the tape compartment was getting stuck etc. So, in the meantime, we purchased a sony dcr-trv460 camcorder so that I can use the past tapes and edit them in a program in my pc.

But I am having playback issues. The audio (and video) are skipping and the audio sounds as though the tape is in fast forward motion, even though it isn't.

I have put the PB mode in HI8 but it is not working.

Does someone have any suggestions as to what might be going on? Is there a specific setting I am not doing on the trv-460?

Could it be the tapes are not good?

I'd truly hate to lose this video of my kids when they were small.

2. lrobert

lrobert Member

As an addition, my main goal is to get this video footage into my pc so I can edit with a video editing program.

3. stevewg

stevewg Member

Are those tapes recoreded in LP mode? Try LP/SP mode.

4. lrobert

lrobert Member

Unfortunately, I have tried both modes to playback. Nothing is working.

Some tapes are fine but a few others are having audio problems. I downloaded a trial version of Ulead (I usually use Pinnacle).

Funny thing is, one of the tapes captured fine in Ulead but not in Pinnacle - the sound and video in Ulead is fine. If I capture it in Pinnacle, the video is fine but the sound is horrid. The other tape, does not capture in Ulead (file corrupt) but captures in Pinnacle but the sound is like the tape is in fast forward. The video is somewhat jumping too. This is the most important tape of my footage of my kids :(

I wish I hadn't of left this editing so long :(

5. lrobert

lrobert Member

In addition, for both tapes, the sound is almost normal (except for some static and some skipping that shouldn't be there) in the camcorder while capturing the video in my pc.

6. kitisi

kitisi Member

I have the same problem I noticed when i rolled back the protective cover the tape was slightly curled ???is this a problem I would like to copy these asap to keep them for later years