playing mkv file

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by rihgt682, Jun 24, 2009.

1. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

I can play 720p no problem on my computer but having issue with 1080p file. Is it the hardware??? this is what i'm running.
    ATI X300
    intel P4 3.2ghz with hyper thread

2. elliott

elliott Regular member

Is this chipset on a laptop or desktop and by what means are you connecting the pc to the tv is it s-video, dvi, hdmi, or vga. You may need a driver update for your chipset on the other had it may be that any higher resolution is not supported.

3. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

desktop. connected to a monitor with VGA. my question was will my hardware run 1080p file? with the right codec and right tools??? or is it not possible with what i'm running?

4. elliott

elliott Regular member

I would say maybe but to acheive 1080p you will need to acheive a screen resolution of 1320x1080 it will not be progressive as vga is not progressive scan to get that you will need to be connected via HDMI, DVI, s-video may look ok and vga will still look good it just won't be progressive it will be interlaced at least to my knowledge. The video card I couldn't find much info on, here is a link from cyberlink.com makers of the PowerDVD9 Ultra for Blu-ray and the system requirements per thier suggestion and most of what they list is fairly standard requirements from other sites. http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd/requirements_en_US.html

the lowest ATI card supported is the X1600 the best low budget card and the one I use is a 3450 and it has hdmi not very expensive if you have pci-e video card slot if you have agp you could go with a ATI 2400 pretty sure that's available in agp. Your processor is fast enough and I would suggest minnimum 2gb ram.

5. Chiamos

Chiamos Member

Sorry rihgt682, but if that is the entry version of P4 and not the D, then you will never have much success playing 1080P, and certainly not Blu-ray with that core, and to even make matters worse, that ATI 300 with only VGA just probably won't hack it with even a D or Dual Core, Those 720P play okay, but probably puts a load on the System and will ramp up the fans to keep things from over heating. 720P video look great, also sound great with Digital Audio tracks, but 1080P is forging along to a media standard, so a tad of an upgrade is required to fit your liking of 1080P.

All the very best.