1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please close this thread

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by larrylje, Jun 19, 2007.

1. tubebar

tubebar Member

Install Preloader, configure the hacks.ini to block updates from discs.

In the event your Wii bricks (from a bad WAD file, discs will be no issue) you can reload the FW via the HBC.

Best protection for any hacked Wii.

2. AEngland

AEngland Member

Thankfully today there are already a number of precautions you can make to insure 1. your Wii doesn't get bricked, and 2. in case anything goes wrong, you can get your system back from a backup.

CAUTION: these steps tap into how the Wii works and boots up, use at your own risk -- even though there is only a very very small chance of something going wrong, there is a chance.
    STEP 1. Get and install BootMii from bootmii.org . There are two ways to install it, the better way is to install it to "boot2" if your Wii is capable of doing so (the BootMii installer will tell you if you can). Then, the program will install to a part of the Wii that no brick can harm. This way, even if your Wii gets bricked, you can always boot into the Homebrew Channel. Or, with BootMii you can make a backup of your whole Wii system and load it back if necessary, so you will have a backup.
    STEP 2. Install preloader. With preloader's hacks (loaded from a hacks.ini file that corresponds to your system's region and version number) you can tell the Wii to bypass region settings or to block all updates on any disk that is inserted. This way you can (most of the time) successfully run out of region games, without any risk of bricking because updates are bypassed. I've heard people complain that Preloader adds some seconds to the Wii's boot time, but even if that's true (I myself have never noticed), it's totally wirth not getting bricked.

3. troutman1

troutman1 Member

4. DSWarrior

DSWarrior Member

Like AEngland said, I also use BootMii and it works awesome! And to avoid ANY bricking (update-wise) I use USB Loader GX. I find it easier, faster and cheaper than burning Verbatim DVD-Rs for each game. Not to mention that from the USB Loader you'll get full speed reading, not just 3x like some modchips or GAMMA backup launcher.

Just my 2 cents...

5. troutman1

troutman1 Member

I got my wii chiped and run all games on mine usa and pal the only problem i had with updates i have 2 news and weather channles every thing works fine i am up 2 4e on my wii system.

6. gazza210

gazza210 Member

sorry to repeat the same question but i have a modded pal wii. if i run a update contained on a back up pal disc; e.g. crystal chronicles echoes of time do i run any chance of bricking my wii or making back up discs unplayable. i also have hbc installed

7. erage2772

erage2772 Member

Im new to this and I have 4.0 and im pretty sure that Starfall doesnt work on 4.0 so is there any other way to block disc updates?

8. DSWarrior

DSWarrior Member

You could try WiigionFree on your ISOs before burning them to disc. Check that link out, it has a FAQ, a compatibility list and lots of useful info. Hope this helps. (This worked beautifully for me when I used backup discs.)(Now I just use USB Loader GX, like I stated a few posts ago.)

9. Rouzuki

Rouzuki Member

Is there a way to insert systemmenu v417.wad into the semibrick fix mentioned in the first post?

10. revup67

revup67 Member

11. revup67

revup67 Member

This was an amazing find and self explanatory. Many thanks for this treasure! I've got one PAL "Driver Parallel Lines" playing on an NTSC no probs. All future ISO's for PAL will be patched with Wiigion Free.

12. ricey1986

ricey1986 Member

Are you saying that if i use usb loader gx that it bypasses the update? or is this just a setting in the program?

Ricey

13. iceboi714

iceboi714 Member

Yea, I don't know when i got it cause i played a few PAL games before and can't remember which one needed the update.

Got an error with this
    fix/us/eng/index01.html

Guess i will have to wait for a new game with the updated firmware to see if that will fix my problem.