1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please close this thread

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by larrylje, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evnflow

evnflow Guest

not sure..can't check that link..at work right now..i had fw 3.4..i installed hbc(using bannerbomb), and usb loader..then patched with IOS60 from yafaze.com..then updated through the wii..and my hbc, usbloader, etc. all worked afterwards..

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2009
  2. JParkes

JParkes Regular member

Yo! I did the softmod using your old guide, worked great! However, I want to upgrade to 4.0. I followed the link to the guide at the begining of the guide and I'm confused. My Wii is not connected to the wifi so I cant do method 1. Method 2 says for trucha and I'm slightly confused. Will method 2 work the same as method 1 but without the need for wifi? Sorry but the trucha thing is confusing.

3. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I'm almost positive both methods use WiFi.

Trucha signing is a Homebrew exploit. Nintendo attempted to block it but there are fixes out there that will bypass the block Nintendo attempted to place on the IOS's.

You can do method 1 and still patch the IOS using IOS Downgrader to downgrade and patch the lower IOS with the thrucha fix. So method 2 is kind of pointless now. But again I am almost positive method 2 still connects to Wii servers to download some files via WiFi.

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  4. JParkes

JParkes Regular member

So I need wifi. How can I do the update without wifi?

5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You can't you need the Wii connected to a high speed connection.

Either by using WiFi or a USB LAN Adapter.

6. Gamorrah

Gamorrah Member

You haven't got a wifi connection. I did this step without wifi myself. Everything works, but wondering whether need to do over. I've done the mod properly on another wii and the downgrade IOS35 bit downloads files when connected to wifi.

7. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

For some damned reason even I am stuck! Right at the second half of the tutorial at these steps starting from the here...

I am stumped as to what it could be? I can't install the damned IOS60.wad using Wad Manager ran from HBC to finish the steps! I think I know (guessing) what step I am missing and it has to (maybe?) do with the selfbooting ISO disc image.?.?.?

Anyone want to clear up how to get Wad Manager on the Wii itself first (if possible)? Links to downloads for properly setup folders, files etc. are okay to then go from there so as to avoid any more confusion.

Also I have to honestly say that the tutorial kinda does suck as it is not exact nor clear as to the correct steps in certain parts and at the end basically says "do this" without any info on how to do so...

I dunno, call me a stickler or whatever ~ but as an example I'm currently writing a tut with pics and exacting steps so there is no missed portion to be confused! When you write a tut it should be exact and clear for all the steps not just parts.

8. nuke1105

nuke1105 Regular member

ONER.... I very much so agree that both portions of this guide (3.4 and under already softmodded going to 4.0 and virgin wii softmod to 4.0) are very difficult to follow. I think we should get some screen shots, pictures or links to videos on how the sd card should look with all the folders in it for a virgin wii etc. It doesnt give suggestions or it doesnt give errors that others have had in the past (example needing 300 blocks open for update). I appreciate the help that larry has done for the site but i believe it should be re typed with screen shots etc.

9. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I have updated the SoftmodPack files to include the extra steps (IOS60Patched/cIOS36_rev10/IOS Downgrader).

Just redownload the softmod pack I have linked and run the WAD Manager from the Homebrew Channel. This will allow you to install the IOS60Patched file. Also I have included cIOS36_rev10 and IOS Downgrader for those that want to do those steps as well. I will also update the guide to include those extra steps.

I am not going to add screen shots or video. For the most part this is not complicated if you follow directions. However I do agree that the extra steps section of the virgin 4.0 tutorial that i have linked to could have been done better. That is why I am going to add that section to this guide.

@nuke1105

If you still feel it isn't good enough then feel free to make your own guide with the screen shots and video. Always remember that we do not get paid to do this. We do it on our free time.

10. Oner

Thanx Larry, I'll take a look at it now. For those who need a good video to go along with the tutorial I used this one ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fXyxzeimUs

Edit: K, looks like I got it. I narrowed it down to either an improper folder setup or a bad file on my SD card so I formatted it and used yours Larry ~ worked like a charm. Thanx again.

11. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I linked the video to the guide. So hopefully the first part of the linked guide will be easier to follow with the linked video.

I just don't want to take or paraphrase anyone else's guide. That is why I have it linked. So hopefully the updates I have done to the guide now will make it more smoother for users to get the job done.

12. Oner

Hope you don't mind but I adjusted 2 items.

1) I highlighted this step in red ~

2) added an "or" and bolded RIGHT for ~

13. Kelon

Kelon Member

Just wanted to say thanks for the guide, it helped me quite a bit. I was (before today) completely new to Wii softmodding. The only real issue I encountered was the initial, linked tutorial not mentioning how to structure the folders on the SD card to get something to run (mainly the IOS downgrader). A quick Google search resolved that, and beyond that it went smoothly - also from the looks of it there was some editing between now and then to address basically the problem I had.

Everything is installed and seems to be working, now I just have to rip everything and get the USB Loader set up properly.

14. kensoy

kensoy Member

ok my turn to say thx and point a little problem i have
    xD!!!

well thx a lot! for this guide
    far off the simple one i could find
    ^^

also im having a little problem whit Gc games
    more exactly whit SSB Melee
    the game runs, i can tell couse i ear it
    but is all in black
    i can't se a thing
    but i can ear the opening video
    and i can go furter in options but i can't see a thing
    hope you can help me

15. Oner

Hey Larry, got a question that I probably already have the answer to but I would like confirmation...is there any way to install/convert VC & WiiWare wads directly to the SD card without having to install them first onto the Wii to bypass the 1 or 2 lengthy steps (probably not as the files need to be tied to the console for it to convert them right?).

Edit: Also when installing wads to the Wii via the Manager which would be the correct IOS to use 249? 60? ???

Edit 2: Just remembered something ~ Have you tried the LU64 fix yet? It is supposed to only allow the booting of backups but nothing else. Is it good? does it work and if so I think you should add it to the first post but clearly marked.

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  16. Seewolf78

Seewolf78 Member

Well I've modded 4 wii's now, using Larrys delightful guides. I've not had a problem come up, until now. I'm trying to get USB Loader to work properly. I got it installed and it seemed to go fine. However, it keeps locking up on me. I got a game to install, but every time I restart USB Loader GX it has cleared my settings(including the unlock password).When I try to unlock it using the ab121b password it seems to work, but once again after going back into uloader it's all back to default settings. Also, if I try to clear out the password, the entire loader freezes and I have to hard reboot my wii. Any ideas where I may have gone wrong? I haven't notice anyone else having this happen, so I'm assuming it's me somehow.

17. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Try deleting the config folder (delete the folder not what is inside) on the SD card to clear the settings and try loading it again.

@Oner

No I don't mind.

18. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You need to install WAD files to the Wii system then move them to the SD card. As you stated the games need to be tied between the SD Card and Wii System.

Use IOS249 when installing WAD files.

The LU64 fix that is out there is not an official release. It will only work on LU64 3.4 systems. Some users have bricked there system using it so it is not recommended at this time. So since it isn't official and since it doesn't seem to be 100% stable I would rather not risk it by putting it in the guide.

19. Freitag

Freitag Member

thank you so much for he guide but there is one main question i have

i followed the other guides further steps before u updated your post so i didnt know u didnt have to do the ios downgrader unless you want trucha.

i need or want trucha but ive already done it. and because it downgrades the wii my main wii channel asks for updates for my store-bought games. I know i can just load them using gamma but iw would perfer i could just load them the regular way.

so my question is: can i somehow undo the last step IOSdowngrader so i dont have trucha but my wii plays owned games without asking for update?

20. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I don't think IOS Downgrader effects updates. You probably have an IOS that isn't installed and the game wants to install it. Do the update on the game disc. If you have issues with WAD/VC games playing from SD Card you might have to run the IOS60Patch again after the update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.