Please help!!! Default gateway appears offline...

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by myf, Aug 6, 2008.

1. myf

myf Member

Hi there,
    My friend is having some wireless internet connection problems with her laptop. I said i'd have a look for her. I am not a computer wizard or anything but not bad at solving problems via forum's such as this..
    Anyway i have her laptop here with me and it is connected to my wireless, signal strength excellent yet it will not connect to any internet page. When i trouble shoot it says the default gateway appears to be offline.. I know it can not be my internet connection as my laptop is working fine (as i am on this website now leaving this post, lol) So it must be something with her laptop as the same things happen to her when she's home with her laptop. (wireless connection connected, yet no internet) Also i should mention this problem seems to be inconsistent. Some days the internet works others it doesn't..
    Look forward to your replie's, many thanks.
    Charlie :eek:)

2. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

make sure the DHCP server is enabled on the Router and set the Wireless connection on the laptop to DHCP.

try using the PING command to confirm that you cannot PING IP addresses - this may be a DNS issue:

1. PING GOOGLE.COM
    2. PING 72.14.207.99

if you can get replies from 2. but not from 1. then the issue may be that something has messed up the DNS settings on the laptop.

3. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

ps: the 'gateway' is the ip address of your router.... just so you know