Please help with safe computing

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by DarkmanX, Jan 25, 2004.

1. DarkmanX

DarkmanX Regular member

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with a good backup program (hopefully freeware) that could be used to backup "My Documents" folder? I have Norton Ghost 2003, but it doesn't seem user friendly and it doesn't have the flexibility to allow me to backup just folders. It has to backup the whole drive. I have my install disks for my other applications, so all I need is a program, with a scheduler, that will routinely backup my personal items and documents located in the my documents folder. I know that XP Pro has this option, but it seems that most people; like myself, probably have XP home, because that's the OS pre-installed on newer computers. Is there a reason for computers with windows XP to run Norton ghost? Seems like it has the same "restore" capabilty that XP has? I have been trying to use restore to create a point prior to any installs-just in case. The computer will not allow me to restore at the computer saved checkpoints. I have manually created checkpoints to be safe, but the computer is not allowing me to use "any" of the manual checkpoints I created. Is Norton Ghost software clashing with XP's retore function?

2. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,

The program you want is Second Copy 2000:
    http://www.centered.com/

It is pretty cheap ($29) but best-in-class, I have it running on all my systems.

You can download a 30-day trial.

I have never seen a clash between Norton Ghost 2003 and XP Restore, so I think the problem is elsewhere.

If you don't need Ghost, then remove it, it is very handy for a FULL SYSTEM restore, but lousy at what you want.

Have Fun...

3. DarkmanX

DarkmanX Regular member

The great one appears!!! You do get around don't you???? I was just curious about the function of Ghost and System restore, they seem to have the same capabilities and since my system restore has not been working, by using the computer generated checkpoints or my own points, I was wondering if that was possibly why? I am trying to be conscious of good habits and what I see now that I am lacking in is backing up. I have Norton and Firewalls-Router and Zone Alarm.

4. drchips

drchips Active member

Careful, I have been "promoted", so show some respect you young whipper-snapper; I don't know, the "yoof" of today, what is the world coming to, no respect.... ;-)

Ok, serious time now:

In some respects Ghost and Sytem restore are similar - the major difference is in WHERE they can store the "backup".

Imagine this:
    ONE hard-drive, where does System Restore save its "backup" - on the hard-drive.
    What happens when the hard-drive dies, the restore is gone too....

Ghost is normally used to image a complete drive to ANOTHER location (another hard-drive, network drive, CD-Rs, DVD-Rs etc. etc) - when the hard-drive dies, a new one can be installed and restored from the Ghost image from the OTHER location.

See the difference?

They are both handy, but different purposes.
    Nice to see, good on ya mate.

Byeee...