pop up ads

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by aXidburn, Apr 12, 2004.

1. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

they are pissing me off....can they be caused by programs that are installed on my computer, like when i installed the programs the extra things that were with it....and if so is there anyway to delete them like with a program..(ex "HijackThis") or do i need to get a pop up ad stopper/blocker?

2. duffyr83

duffyr83 Guest

usually adaware or spybot can delete the extra things that cause these popups, deletes everything off to stop the popups, adaware did so for my brother's computer and now no more popups.

if you want to look into a popup blocker, i believe both google and yahoo have one for free to use.

alright

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

HijackThis is a good one as well as SpyBot S&D and AdAware. I suggest using all three regularly :)

You can try popup stopper programs and such, but personally I hated every one I tried - they either didn't stop enough or stopped too much making it a pain in the butt.

The solution I found (in addition to SpyBot and AdAware) was to use a different browser. I've been using Firefox for quite awhile now and would be lost without it. It has a built-in popup stopper that is the best I've used and has so many other cool features it puts IE to shame. Plus it's free :) Here's a link if you're interested:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

4. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

thx, i tried the thing that preator said to do in the file sharing forum saying to disable the messanger thing. i use spybot regularly but with hijackthis i dont know if some of the files are imprtant. ill try that internet that your talking about

by the way Nephilim congrats on the promotion :)

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You can install Firefox alongside IE to try it out. It'll let you import your IE favorites as well.

As long as I've used Firefox, I've never had a single unwanted popup plus it has tabbed browsing which is way cool, tons of extensions, and themes to dress it up if you like - great stuff!

6. OzMick

OzMick Guest

I use AdsGone Popup Killer, been pretty good to me. It gives a quiet buzz noise when something is blocked (either ads on a webpage from known ad-servers), or a blocked popup. If it does kill a window you need, you can go through and add the said window/server to a safe list with just two clicks, or just hold Ctrl and click to override it.

7. Xian

Xian Regular member

I will have to agree with Nephilim. I use Firefox at work and Opera at home and *maybe* see one popup ad a week, and that is usually a java script thing floating in the current window instead of the usual popup. By not using IE you fix the popup problem as well as a host of other problems - browser hijacking, spyware programs that easily install themselves, and the security hole of the week inherent in IE.

8. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

yeah i started using firefos and its sooo much better

9. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

A handy little popup stopper is available for free and works flawlessly at this URL :..

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network.htm

Scroll till you see Browser Addons and download POW

-- this will stop any popup you may encounter in your web surfing !

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper !

Take Care.[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2004
  10. alseides

alseides Guest

I use spybotS&D to get rid of the nasty stuff that causes popups (use the immunize feature also on this program).

For further protection, I use spywareblaster which prevents everything that spybotS&D tries to delete, so it won't get on the computer in the first place.

And in a rare case that a popup manages to bypass these protections (since S&D and spywareblaster arn't solely popup blockers), I use admuncher which blocks the popup from... well, popping up. Admuncher is good because it has a ton of options and even blocks ads inside of webpages. Everything is freeware except for admuncher (unless you can find a way around that).

I havn't had a single popup in ages. So pretty much a 100% success rate for me. ZERO popups forever, nice huh? Well, I did once, but that was becuase I accidently disabled admuncher.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]http://students.washington.edu/ptn
    PM me if you need a slick lookin website.[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2004
  11. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Firefox is the better one btw FFox n IE...
    use Spybot and adaware if it's annoying u
    cuz it helped me a gr8 deal from being annoyed...

Hoped this helped...

12. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Firefox is the better one btw FFox n IE...
    use Spybot and adaware if it's annoying u
    cuz it helped me a gr8 deal from being annoyed...

Hoped this helped...

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Some pop-ups are a result of spyware installed on your PC and others are there when you enter certain sites. You've already been given the suggestion to download spybot search and destroy and HijackThis. Another application that I use that almost guarantees no pop-ups is the freeware verion of FreeSurfer which you can download from this site(.http://www.kolumbus.fi/eero.muhonen/FS/fs.htm) It even stops spyware pop-ups. Take care if you use spybot and you've recently downloaded software with bundled spyware, because not only does it disable the app but it also prevents you from inintalling it. If you should use spybot first then you would have to reinstalll the app again and then uinstall it.

14. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

thx for the repond's but i stoped the pop up ads like 10 days ago when Nephilim told me to get firefox....and by the way i have had spybot since it came out...

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Time has a way of quickly moving forward. Often by the time we receive a notification of a new post the original is already dated. I'll have to watch my dates closer.