possibility of 1:1 backup?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by orhor, Aug 21, 2005.

1. orhor

orhor Member

Hi, is there any possibility to backup my miniDV tape 1:1 on my computer and later use it in some video editing software?

I have a camcorder lended from my brother and I must to give it back. So I want to store all my recordings on my PC and later edit them. I have experiences only with audio and digital photos. So I see it in this non-destructive way (1:1). Because I have no experience and I know almost no video-editing software, I would like to do it this kinda audio- or digital photos- -way.

(sorry for my english)

Thanks for any advices

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Yes, in principle it is possible. You only need to transfer the tapes to your PC using a Firewire connection. However, one hour of video will take around 13GB...
    You can compress your video for digital storage, but it will reduce quality.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  3. orhor

orhor Member

Yes, thanks for answering. I know about firewire connection, but how should I transfer the data? I can't see the camcorder in This Computer. Or should I look for it somewhere else?

Please be more concrete.

Thanks

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

If you connect it and turn the camcorder on, you should see it in My Computer.
    But anyway, you need a capture program to actually perform the transfer. You can use Microsoft MovieMaker for that (make sure to use the right settings) or use any of the freeware programs downloadable from here: http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/downloads/freedownloads.php

5. orhor

orhor Member

thanks a lot, i'll try.