1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post Your Bad Media Experiences Here

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by vurbal, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Tralblazr

Tralblazr Member

thanks man, I had just heard abot ritek going out of biz and was getting nervous as I had used them for a long time. Just been wary about all the fake ty disc I always hear about. I guess if anything I will try the hub printable ty if my supply runs dry on the ridata. THanks for your response bro.

2. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Tralblazr.. I don't know where U are, but if U buy from a reputable dealer U should be OK for Originals. I personally
    like SupermediaStore and Meritline. Here in the U.S.
    Good service, never had a back order

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Tralblazr.. I don't know where U are, but if U buy from a reputable dealer U should be OK for Originals. I personally
    like SupermediaStore and Meritline. Here in the U.S.
    Good service, never had a back order

4. Tralblazr

Tralblazr Member

I am in toronto canada, I go down to the college and spadina stores. At the moment im able to get ridata 8x or 16x hub printable for $11 each package of 50. I guess the ty would cost me a bit more. what should I expect to pay for 100 pack hub printable ty?

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Tralblazr..Being U have internet access..U can check Supermedia and Meritline for Comparison.
    I live in Florida, I ordered some Discs frm an online outlet in Canada, and had them sent to a friend in Canada. The difference was pennys

6. r0nbo

r0nbo Guest

As for troublesome media I got some Sony dvd+rw disks at Sams a while back when I ran out of Verbatims. I have had nothing but trouble with them and disk info said they were S11 which is supposed to be good. well not in my book. Neither burner in my computer, the NEC or the LG will make a usable disk with them and neither will the Samsung recorder on my tv line. They cant be erased either once they are burned. Ive had to pitch a load of them away and the ones left I gave away. I always had good luck with Verbatims so had to order some as they are not available anymore here. RWs seem to be a scarce item these days for some reason. Those Taiyo Yuden Ive never seen anywhere outside of online.

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

r0nbo..If U have access to a Office Depot, and don't mind stamped DVDs. Buy their store brand, as they are Ritek. I've found these Very Good Discs.. I've never seen Tys in consumer outlets either

8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

The new CompUSA now sells TYs, from retail stores

9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Anybody had any experience (good, bad, etc ) here lately with Prodisc. I used them a few yrs back, had good use then all of a sudden went bad. So I stopped using

10. r0nbo

r0nbo Guest

Rick yes we have a Home Depot but no more discs than I use the Verbatims that I ordered will do me for a long time. Thanks for the info and I will pigeonhole it for future reference.

11. Jagunter

Jagunter Member

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:MCC 03RG20 ]
    Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
    Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
    Manufacturer ID : [MCC 03RG20 ]
    Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]
    [ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

This is the identifier for 2 100DVD spindles of Verbs 16x that I bought at Officemax about 2 months ago. I threw away the labels so I don't remember if they were from India or Taiwan. Roughly 30% of these were coasters.

12. Racer_XO

Racer_XO Member

I have had problems using:

Memorex DVD +R DL
    Maxell DVD +R with my Samsung SATA Drive, but works with my HP laptop.

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

r0nbo..Did U really mean Home Depot..I buy Lumber their, or Office Depot..I buy Discs their.. I've always had problems with Verbs, I quit using them Months ago. Strictly Tys & Ritek 4 me $0.24 to $0.26 ea at Supermedia.com. I keep 400 blanks in stock, this way I can catch the sales & free shipplng

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Racer_XO..Thats because U buy from retail stores, U probably only buy 25 at a time. You think your getting a deal 4 17bucks. But in reality all U get is crap, if U read about Discs in other forums. Not only is it the Quality of the Disc, but longivity. A year or so from now when U go to play your movie, you'll wonder what the hell? Also how do U really know you've got a good burn ? Do U test your DVDs with DVD InfoPro, for bad sectors. One bad sector means you'll never make a copy of your copy. They will play in your player, but not your computer, as soon as it hits that 1st bad sector it will freeze

15. varnull

varnull Guest

TDK 16x-R.. 10 burned.. 6 failed to complete a burn, 3 failed to read in the player.. 90% failure rate. CRAP MEDIA... AVOID!

16x media is NOT compatible with most standalone dvd players. Unless you want lots of comebacks don't burn them for others.

16. r0nbo

r0nbo Guest

heh Yes Rick I meant Office Depot. I have yet to have any trouble with Verbatims so thats what I order. Never had any Tys or Ritek but what I have read is Verbatims are better than Ritek so I think I will stick with what has worked for me. Next time I need some I may get Tys just for grins.

17. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

varnull...Probably your problem with cheap Media is that U are burning over 8x..Most of mine is burnt at 6 to 8x, NEVER,Never any faster. Also U didn't mention if they were DVD+ or DVD-, if + does your Burner do bitsetting. That another problem with DVD Players, they don't like +s
    When a friend needs a DVD fast I'll burn his at 16x, but not mine,to the best of my knowledge they play fine(TY's & Ritek)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2008
  18. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

i never burn cheap blank media over 4x ..i'll burn Verb's and Ty's at 8 and 12x speed using +R's to booktype rick is right some dvd players don't like +R media there setup for cdrom movies..

19. sojourn4m

sojourn4m Member

Stumbled upon this forum be accident and glad to see it and register since its mucho useful for everyone using media.
    I have a Lenovo laptop with a Matshita UJ-842 DVD drive and picked up a spindle of the above mentioned TDK DVD's and my failure rate has been a solid 100%. Each and every disc burns about to 10% of file(s) and then errors out. I just couldnt understand it but now understand brands matter in different drives and I have a near 100% success rate with HP's and believe it or not Playo brand scored for like 3.99 a spindle at Staples on sale.
    Thanks for this post

20. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

sojourn4m..Your burn speeds are also important..NEVER, NEVER, Burn any faster then 8x. Now as far as the above Discs mentioned, they probably will burn,but will they last! Myself I would rather go with a proven Disc, any forum you've been to,too read up on Discs. I'll bet the most mention Discs are VERBS, TYS, RITEK. Now U can buy RITEK at a consumer store, Office Depot there name brand are RITEK. Other wise buy on the net, I just bought a 200 for $49.00+ free shipping from supermediastore.com
    One more point of interest, if your DVD Burner doesn't have Bitsetting (Booktype)capabilities, I would not use DVD+ Discs as most player won't play them. The whole purpose of bitsetting is to trick your Player into thinking your +DVD is a DVDROM