1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post Your Bad Media Experiences Here

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by vurbal, Oct 9, 2004.

1. bratcher

bratcher Active member

What cheap media do you burn at 4x?

As to me I normally don't burn any media (even the good stuff like 16x TY's) over 8x. However I do test media at 16x from time to time & the quality stuff (like TY & MIS Verbs) burns & tests great at that speed. Other media tests good too but not as good as TY or MIS Verb.

Last month I picked up an HP 50 pack at Microcenter just to see who made the discs. Turned out to be CMC with good (I've seen better) test results. Not something I'd buy in the future as I'm not sure how long they will last before going bad.

This month I picked up one pack each of Phillips, Magnavox & Memorex. All tested fine at 16x except for the Memorex which tested better at 8x. I suspect Memorex is buying CMC rejects for it's discs.
    I'll burn all of the CMC media I bought at 8x then go back to my TY's.

Speaking of cheap media I bought two 50 packs of Windata (one +R & one -R) for $9.99 each which codes out as MCC. I'm sure it's either fake media or maybe Verb rejects since they don't test as good as real Verbs. They do better at 8x. Like I said I'll burn up all this stuff at 8x then go back to TY's. Some is going into the DVD recorder thats hooked up to the cable DVR. Ill find out later if the video discs develop problems or not. Both my DVD recorder & the DVD player I use seem to track an AML Nexxtech disc & was given plus an MCC Playo disc without problems. I didn't burn either one & they both have some of the worst test results I've ever seen. BTW my computer skips on both if I try to play them with Nero Showtime. I'm sure it's because my computer drive is reading them faster than the DVD recorder & the DVD player does.

2. sojourn4m

sojourn4m Member

I decided to call TDK corporate office and the sold off their media division to Imation so was punted from one company to another and left a message for a cust relations person at Imation. In mean time called tech support for TDK and explained problem but since I didnt have the receipt handy they felt they couldnt help me unless I sent back the disk spindle which would have actually costed more to ship via UPS than the disks themselves cost so I refused and wanted some sort of support. A tech supervisor called corp office and on a 3way call a manager there elected to have them ship me a new 50 pack spindle but also stated to add to records as a one time customer allownace and any future problems would require a receipt for purchase. I then was given a reference number and subsequently they shipped spindle out and I am waiting on its arrival.In the mean time I went to Circuit City web site and found my purchase record and printed it out and called support and got their fax number and faxed it to them as proof of purchase. I personally was annoyed a company such as TDK would give me the possible impression a customer such as myself would stoop to complain about a problem with their media and seek a 13 dollar ripoff of their valuable resources. I will now try burning with the new disks and setting the Roxio settings to 8X max but I have noticed the burn speed seldome if ever gets above 2X when the program is running and burning so dont know if that is an issue just yet.
    If the new TDK's wont burn on my laptop then it might be the drive and disks issue and so I will have to hold on to the disks for a future computer's use but then know never ever to buy TDK's

3. savy2917

savy2917 Member

Have been useing TDK DVD-R 16x media code TTHO2 for ages for ps2 backups and film backups with almost perfect results. Recently tried to by some more but had a job to find them so bought TDK DVD-R 16x media code TDK001 from online store Burn media, these are also meant to be high quality disc. When they arrived I checked the media code and found them to be TTHO2 not TDKOO1 but thought never mind I know they are good disc's.Used the first disc to back up a film. Tried to play it back on my computer and the drive would,nt even pick up the disc. Tried in my philips dvd player which plays anything but still it wouldnt detect the disc. Come to the conclusion the disc's may not be genuine so will try for a refund. My question. Is now possible to fake the media code? buy the way firmware is up to date.

4. bratcher

bratcher Active member

I don't think TDK 16x dvd -R with ProdiscS05 media code is good. A friend gave me 4 discs he burned with this code & the test resuilts are horrible.

Anybody have good luck with this media code?

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Don't know about Games, but U might want to try VERBS or TY's online pricing is very good,I have yet to get fakes in over 3yrs. I use TYs all the time 4 Movies. Maybe 1 in 300 go bad on me. Also have used RITEK (Not RIDATA) with excellent results.

6. forkndave

forkndave Member

savy2917, if you really like discs with the MID code of TTH02 they are sold at www.meritline.com and are sold under the brand name Falcon. They are 16X inkjet printables. The price is just about the same as TY, but (the ones I got, at least) print a little nicer than the TYs I usually use. They will burn at 16X if you want to with decent error rates. I can't speak about their longevity since I haven't had them very long. They are made in the UAE of all places. I assume that this is the United Arab Emirates. I may not buy any more just for that reason.

Dave

7. Syboxez

Syboxez Member

This brand sucks.

Media: Great Quality

Store: Walmart

Media ID: RITEKG04

8. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Ritek G04? Isn't that Ritek's 4x media? Unless whoever making the discs for Great Quality is faking the ID code which is possible.

GQ buy's discs from lots of places. I even saw some with a Sony ID recently. Suspect they buy B & C grade media then sell it as their own.

So what kind of results did you get with those discs & what speed were they burned at? If you have any left then I suggest you burn them at 8x or 4x as GQ is not very good media. There is better out there like Verbatim.

I didn't know Walmart had GQ DVD's. Thought only Fry's carried them....

9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

How are the RIDATA Discs now a days ? I know back about yr.ago they were CRAP. I know a friend of mine could not get a decent burn out of a 50pk. Now another friend just brought me one to try (DVD-R RITEKF1 16x) it burned good,& DVDInfo read it as all good. Played well in both my players. Just curious if anybody else is trying them. My self I use Ritek & Ty's, & never burn over 6x. Over 500 burns & only 2 were bad and that was software problem

10. Syboxez

Syboxez Member

11. Syboxez

Syboxez Member

Let me restate that as it was completely in the wrong place,

I played it on my SPCH 77001 PS2 as a Guitar Hero 2 custom
    and it wrecked my lazer

12. KittyBass

KittyBass Member

I had a problem with a 25 pack of Verbatim DVD-Rs. There are no big store chains where I live, so I usually buy them from family run household stores (never at the tourist electronic shops). I moved to this area some several months ago so it was a new store..anyway, I used plenty of CD-Rs with no problem..

I bought these DVDs about 6 months ago and used about 18 of them. A few months ago I attempted to make a compilation video of some clips I had and I kept getting an error. I thought it was one of the files itself, not the media. A few days ago I tried burning something else and only 2 out of the remaining disks were recognized by my DVD Identifier. I did some looking around and these disks do appear to be legitimate Verbatim disks, the stampercode on the bottom begins with ZD, etc. I do not know where they were made because I threw the packaging out several months ago and only have the cake and blank disks.

Is it possible that they are fakes? If not, why are the last 5 or 6 not itendified as any sort of media at all?

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

KittyBass..As your post shows U have internet ACCESS. U might have better luck buying on line. U can get some very good deals on Ritek & TY'S, both R excellent DVDs

14. chinick

chinick Guest

Brand Name: MAXELL
    Type: DVD+R
    4.7GB up to16X

I'm a user of this brand since a long time ago with not problem when recording to it, but recently I got a spindle (50discs) and my pc doesnt read it (in some cases i receive the warning please insert a disc or no disc).
    However I can record with this disc in my stand alone dvd player/recorder with no problem.

In the pc I tried other brands (tdk-cd-audio, sony dvd+r and verbatim dvd+r) all work fine.

Will like to know if other are experiencing this situation and how to solve it (other than request for exchange)

regards....

ps I bought at Office Depot in Panama

15. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

you're burner is not recognizing the media. Is your firmware up to date?

Where were the maxell's made?

16. chinick

chinick Guest

Thanks,

Will check it with HP today if there is any update.
    Think it is Taiwan.

17. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Why does anybody buy DVD+
    Why not buy DVD-

18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I buy/burn both with no preference..

19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

When I was first introduced to DVDs I was the same way. I thought a DVD was A DVD, had no idea of the differences. Surface type,Mfgr Quality, etc. But as we all know time takes care of that. Anyway my personal experiences, I had more problems with DVD+ then with DVD-. As with Verbs, everybody raves about then. But me ! I had more unusable Discs, then with any other brand.So I just quit using them, but like I said personal preference

20. bratcher

bratcher Active member

I can burn both + & - in the computer as well as my DVD recorder thats hooked up to the Comcasr DVR. Usually buy & burn - because thats what I started with but sometimes I'll buy + format.

The Samsung DVD burner in the computer will burn anything with excellent results if the media is good however the Magnavox DVD recorder is a different story. Sure, it will burn & play back 16x media without skipping & pausing problems (my computer plays them very well too) however with the exception of 16x Tayio Yuden all other 16x media has only fair to poor DVDInfopro test results since the DVD recorder is burning discs at 1x. So to fix that minor problem I use 8x media in the Magnavox & the DVDInfopro test results are very good. When I can find 4x DVD + or - R media I use that in the Magnavox.

As to the bad media experience thread I have a few to meantion.

#1. 16x Nexxtech from Circuit City. 16x is horrible. 8x is somewhat tolerable but I don't like the high PIF red spikes so I won't buy anymore of this media after the one 50 pack I bought for test purposes.

#2 TDK 16x. Never burned any but the few I've recieved from others all tested awful & most refused to read in my computers drive.

#. 16x Playo. Bought a pack for testing. Has a fake Verb media code & tests bad at 16x & tolerable at 8x (better than Nexxtech) although I've seen much better test results from other media. Not buying any more of it.

8x generic from Meritline. Fake 8x Verb media code. Tolerable (better than Playo & Nexxtech at 8x) test results but it's not something I'd buy after the one 50 pack.

Good cheap media? 16x Windata from Microcenter. $9.99 per 50 pack with a fake Verb id code. Good rest results at 16x & better at 8x but not as good at either speed as a real Verb or TY disc.

Another seems to be 8x Playo with an AML media code from Meritline. Just a hair worse at 8x then I got with Windata at the same speed.

Oh & I bought a 50 pack of 4x generic from Meritline for testing. Optodisc media code & really good test results burned in either burner. I'm going to use it in the Magnavox until the supply runs out like I used to do with 4x Verbatim bought from Meritline & Supermediastore.