1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PowerIso not Burning ISO file

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Oblivex, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Oblivex

Oblivex Member

Okay, so I've had PowerIso for a while now, and I've never really had to burn anything to a DVD yet, until I got an ISO file recently that instructed me to burn it to a DVD before using it.

So I put a blank DVD+RW in my DVD/CD ROM drive, opened PowerIso, clicked "burn" browsed for the file. selected my file, and hit burn, then I got the message after mere milliseconds saying "media detect failed, or no media in the drive" and I have no idea what I can do about it.

I've tried looking at other programs to see if it recognizes a DVD, but they don't (I checked the drive itself, and it opens up and doesn't say "please insert a disk"), so it might be more of an issue of my drive rather than my DVD/burning software.

But if someone could please offer their assistance, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

Try Imgburn

How Old Is Your Drive?
    What's the Make and Model?
    Is The Firmware Up-To-Date?
    Does It Read Other DVDs?
    Does It Read CDs?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  3. Oblivex

Oblivex Member

Ok, I'll try Imgburn.

But first:

1> I got the Pc that came with the drive back in 2004 I believe.
    2> Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-325F
    3> well, I know the Driver is as up to date as I can get it, but not sure about Firmware (I'm not great with a lot of technical terms, but I manage)
    4> The drive itself reads the DVD's but no programs will. (It is as if it's on manual mode or something because I can go in an view the contents of the DVD without having it run anything)
    5> uh, last time I used a CD in it was not long ago actually, and I think it had the same problem. It said there was a CD in it, but no program would detect it.

4. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

I'm Going to Hazzard a Guess, and Say the Burner Has Seen Better Days, and Needs to Be Replaced .(6+ Years Old Is Quite a Long Run For a Burner.)The Lasers Are Probably Going Bad. You Could Try to Clean the Burners Lasers, But I Think That Will Be Throwing Good Money After Bad. (You Also Might Want To Invest In a Newer Computer.)

5. Oblivex

Oblivex Member

yeah, but I misspoke there, I forgot that the burner I have now came from a computer I got around the same time, but has been broken for some years, it's burner replaced the original one in my computer after it's burner utterly died. still about the same age, but has had less use than the other. now I also remember a while back changing something about how my computer reads discs because I was having trouble installing a game, while the change helped, I don't remember what I did,m how I did it, or how I can reverse it. So as said before, I'm not entirely sure that it is the burner at fault so much as me for changing something.

Also, most things in my computer are actually new, the only things in there that really seem to need to be replaced to make it work better are the burner, and the motherboard. (single core w/ hyperthreading... yeah that ain't doin me much good for a lot of newer games) now I am still going to get a newer rig, but I don't want to just toss this rig.

6. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

Donate To GoodWill.