1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Prepare a SD card"

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by dacore84, Aug 14, 2009.

1. dacore84

dacore84 Member

Hey everybody.

I´ve just installed hbc and bootmii beta 2 but got kind of confused afer watching and reading a couple of guides.

Some background info first. I got a PAL Wii with FW 3.2E and a wiikey chip on 1,9g.

I´ve earlier downloaded hbc beta 8 which is capable of beeing installed through a dvd. So I did that and everything worked perfect.

I then formated a 2 GB SD-card as FAT and created a apps folder which I put the "hackmii_installer_beta2" folder in. Then renamed the "installer.elf" to "boot.elf" instead.

Booted hbc with the SD card inside and was able to start the hackmii menu with the good stuff. Since I installed hbc before I went straight away to bootmii.

But here comes my questions. In all the guides I´ve seen and read afterwards they say I should use the "Prepare a SD card" option and then use the "boot 2" option. I missed that first part and run the "boot 2" option directly instead. It did the test and I got the succelsfull message. Installed and again got the succesfull message.

Rebooted and it´s booting to bootmii as expected. Also took a backup of the SD-card on the computer. It contained a folder namned "bootmii" and inside 3 files ("armboot.bin", "bootmii.ini" and "ppcboot.elf").

If I take the SD card out it´s booting to the regular wii menu as usual. And if I put the SD card in it´s booting to bootmii menu instead.

Is everything correct then? Nothing got screwed even though I missed the "prepare a SD card" option? Should or can I redo the procedure if nessecary?

thanks in advance and sorry for bad English.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Yes everything is fine.

During the Bootmii Instillation it prepares the SD Card for you.The prepare SD card option is in case you delete the Bootmii files off your SD card and do not have a backup of it.

If this happens then instead of installing Bootmii again all you have to do is run the Prepare SD card option and the Bootmii folder with armboot.bin", "bootmii.ini" and "ppcboot.elf will be created again.

3. dacore84

dacore84 Member

Oh thank you so much for your quick answer. That was a relief.

Just one more thing. If I´m about to install USB loader. I assume I don´t have to reformat the SD card again before putting those files on the SD card and install it through hbc?

thanks again!

Edit: Oh damn, missed one thing.. Is it possible to run .iso files from a usb stick or are they to slow? Does it have to be a usb hdd?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  4. dacore84

dacore84 Member

5. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

apparently 2gb on sd and usb stick don't know if this is correct, on the other hand people use external hard drives to boot iso files