preserving game discs on new system/ Need new burner

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by knfusd, Apr 12, 2009.

1. knfusd

knfusd Regular member

I have an old Sony Vaio pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz 2.79 GHz, 512 of ram. I'm also soon to be getting two young guests to my household for an extended amount of time. Will be purchasing an xbox 360 premodded. want to back up the games I purchase, the youngsters have already ruined some dvd's my wife left out carelessly. my question will this system be able to handle a new dual layer burner to back up the games properly? If so any suggestions to which make and or model. The system now has a pioneer dvd/cdrw combo drive #106

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the pc can handle the burner so just depends on the burning software.

3. varnull

varnull Guest

this gets my nomination for the "not read one f----- topic related to the problem" category.

Burner.. the wise money buys a pioneer112d or later.. and only MIS verbatims.

Burn 360 games with a 486 20mhz with 32mb's of ram.. if you are prepared to use a proper operating system (lovely command line only.. no pretties) and wait 4 weeks .. I just love these people with the "old".. 2.8 gigs isn't old.. 1999 like this.. is old XD

Doesn't know if a pc will handle a dvd burner??.. going to have a brilliantly long struggle backing up any 360 games then.. on a pc that probably doesn't have any sata ports for a start.

4. ddp

can still get ide burners.

5. knfusd

knfusd Regular member

thanks for the input ddp, varnull. I always thank any and all for any info & knowledge that is passed my way. I just try to make sure if before I'm going to embark on a mission to be as prepared as possible and to have everything needed. I guess you can reason i'm not really a computer guy, it's just losing a 10 to 19 dollar dvd is one thing. Losing a 70 dollar game in todays economy I personally can't afford that. But if I can ask another noobie question, what is a sata port and how would I go about seeing if my machine has any. As to burning program I have imgburn as suggested as in the tutorials

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  6. ddp

what is the make & model# of your pc so can possibly see what you have? a sata port is the eventuall replacement of ide ports on motherboards that connect to hard drives & rom drives by a data cable. on desktop pc's, an ide cable is 40 pins wide whereas a sata is 7 pins wide. sata 2 ports are presently the fastest in transfer rates even faster then 1de.

7. knfusd

knfusd Regular member

sony vaio PCV-RS 430G pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz 2.79 GHz 512mb of RAM IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. I see I have no sata ports, will that make what I want to do immpossible or just very difficult with what I have now?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  8. ddp

don't have to use sata as ide will do same thing so get an ide dvd burner & keep the combo drive if have space in pc.

9. jburns27

jburns27 Member

I have Alcohol 120%for windows vista 32-bit and i BOUGHT medieval 2 total war (pc game). i went to make an .iso image by using alcohol 120% and it seemed like it came out fine. i mounted it on the virtual drive that alcohol 120% made and started it up to test it out. The launch screen for the game did come up as normal, but after i clicked the play game option, the window closed and an error message comes up saying this applicaton is not running properly. i already have the game installed on my computer and it works fine using the disc. but it wont work using the .iso. i have tried multiple times and it still doesnt work and i get the same error. HELP!

Email me at edited by ddp

ps. the installiation required using 2 discs (if that means anyting.) and this is ALL on my external hard drive.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  10. ddp

jburns27, start your own thread about your problem because hijacking another member's thread is a forum rule no no as is posting email addresses. post edited as per forum rules.

11. knfusd

knfusd Regular member

thanks 4 your help ddp. Varnull might've been right with her comment though. my machine is old but it has a dvd/cdrw drive as well as a dvd rom drive. Which drive are you suggesting that I replace? Looking at Tiger Direct to get new drive, ok? or do you suggest somewhere else?

12. ddp

i'd take out the dvd rom drive & keep it as a standby. the combo drive i would use to burn cd's & play dvd's so less wear & tear on new dvd burner. my current system is a bit slower then your's but has more ram then your's. what country are you in as sounds like states or canada because of tiger direct?

13. itisanice

itisanice Guest

I have had an external burner for quite some time.
    This Sony DRX840U.

I bought this drive to use with a laptop that could not take an internal DVD-burner. I was a little afraid to buy an external burner, thinking that it could not keep up, resulting in many burn errors. The drive so far has worked flawlessly. The software includes a copy of nero essentials, which will accomplish most DVD tasks needed. It also works fine with DVDShrink.

The drive is somewhat large. This is really the only negative that I can think of.

14. knfusd

knfusd Regular member

Well I have a desktop but, you know if an external burner will work the addidtional cost would be offset from having to pay my wife's friend to install it for me, itisanice, How bout it ddp? would a external burner like that do the job for me? And yeah, i'm from the ol' U. S.

15. ddp

you would be better off with internal burner. is not that hard to replace old drive with new as long as jumpered same as in master, slave or cable select.