Problem backing Halo 2 onto my HDD

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by tejmar, Jun 18, 2006.

1. tejmar

tejmar Member

Firstly I would like to say many thanks to everyone who makes this site so easy to get help and access to modding etc. So far I have succesfully modded my PS2 and my Xbox.

My problem is tho, I have recently softmodded my Xbox, have been succesful at saving Silent Hill4 to my HDD then to my PC to burn, everything went great.

However Im now trying to place Halo 2 on my HDD (std xbox hdd, and I have deleted silent hill4 from it) however I can only get approx 35% of the way through when I get the following error log-

17:33:55 BEGIN Copy from "D:\" to "E:\Games\Halo2\"
    17:33:55 Skipped "D:\downloader.xbe"
    17:33:55 Skipped "D:\dashupdate.xbe"
    17:33:56 Skipped "D:\update.xbe"
    17:43:16 Copy FAILED "D:\maps\05b_deltatowers.map". Error Code: 23
    17:43:16 END Copy Operation

I am also having problems with my Tony Hawks underground with error code 112.

I am using unleash X as my dash.

any help would be appreciated.

2. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

The disc may be scratched or dirty, try cleaning it or getting another copy.

-Mike

3. tejmar

tejmar Member

yeah you were right. my original disc had a scratch!! :(
    managed to get Tony Hawkes to work with "dvd2xbox"

4. steimy

steimy Active member

I would say the same. The first three it skiiped are fine as unless you play on XBL you won't need them anyway
    they usually what people remove when they want to make a game smaller.
    But from what i heard, isn't Halo 2 too big to fit on a stock HDD anyway?
    If you want to store a lot of games on the HDD then i suggest you start looking into the proceedure for swapping out to a larger one with a softmodded system.
    I would go at least 160GB, then you can store quite a few if not all your games on it.figure it this way, if all your games were 4GB then you could have 40 games on a 160GB HDD

5. tejmar

tejmar Member

yeah HDD upgrade is def on the agenda, just gotta save up the cash first. Planning at this stage 200gb.

6. steimy

steimy Active member

worth every penny, although with a softmodded system the swap is quite a bit more involved then if you had a chip.
    but the load times are just so much better that i sent my Slimline PS2 off to have a 250GB HDD put in it too :)

7. tejmar

tejmar Member

too right.... I have a 200gb in my PS2, put it in myself, using HD Advance 3, works well, having only come across a cpl of games that wouldnt work

8. steimy

steimy Active member

yeah, my V12 is on it's way back to me this week.
    It already has a DMS4 Pro so i have everything i need to run the HDD, copy games from the drive to the hard drive, built in cheat device, and so on.
    Gotta love a good modchip,
    yet again worth every penny i paid for the premodded system.

9. TravDude

TravDude Member

I know this post is a little old, but I am having a similar problem. Except, I can sucessfully rip the game to the hard disk, and launch the game. When it loads to the main menu, and I get prompted to press start to continue, the game freezes. Any suggestions? I'm running a v1.0 xbox with xenium gold and EvoX M8 dash.

10. sheba18

sheba18 Guest

i am having the same prob except mine only goes to like 1 % then it says error man this stinks...

11. steimy

steimy Active member

TravDude
    not sure i understand exactly what your saying, so go through it step by step.
    Start DVD2Xbox, pick place on HDD to save it, Press X, asks is this what you want to copy, press X, press start to proceed, copied game to HDD, says press start to continue, exit to dashboard
    sort of like that and put in exactly where the problem is

sheba18, same for you. What only goes to 1%, what error does it give you?

12. TravDude

TravDude Member

I have successfully managed back-up Halo 2 to the HDD using dvd2xbox. I stored it on F:/Games/Halo 2. I get to the prompt where I can press "A" to launch the game, which launches Halo 2. The loading screen appears, followed by the Microsoft/Bungie screens. It gets to the first menu, prompting me to press "start" to load a player profile. As soon as I press the start button, the game freezes. I have tried clearing the xbox's cache, through the main menu of the Xenium 3.2.1 OS, altough it hasn't been successful. Any other cache clearing mehtods I could use? Although, I have read about deleting certain files, such as the update files, etc. Any ideas?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  13. steimy

steimy Active member

now that is clear as day, thanks
    Well the only real suggestions i have is to delete that copy and try to use an FTP program and transfer it instead.
    I know it will work on the HDD because mine did. And you can delete those files but i did not when i did it and mine worked fine.
    Sometimes DVD2Xbox will miss or skip a file, it is rare but does happen. Does it work fine from the disc? Is it an original copy of a back up copy?
    and do you have the stock HDD or one you put in after modding it?
    if it is a stock drive then read this
    http://www.teammodders.com/viewtopic.php?t=665

14. TravDude

TravDude Member

It is the original disc of halo 2 that I am trying to back-up to my hard drive. It isn't the orginal hard drive, I swapped it out for an 80 gig western digital HDD. I haven't tried to run it off of the disc yet, but I will this evening. How do I use an ftp program to put the game on my hard drive? Can I use my copy of FlashFXP for this?

15. steimy

steimy Active member

sure Flash FXP will work. Also craxtion4
    You put the disc in the drive, then FTP it to the PC
    then you FTP that folder back to the Xbox HDD
    I know this is a real pain but it is the only other way i know other than DVD2Xbox

You can use either Flash FXP or the Rip Game option on Craxtion4
    Craxtion4 is great because it will auto patch the games when creating ISO's when needed.

16. TravDude

TravDude Member

I also have craxtion installed on my pc, although I have never used it. Is there a tutorial, or could you quickly explain the process I would go through to utilize craxtion? Thanks for all of your advice!

On a side note, would the FTP method work with several other games I have had similar issues with backing them up to the hdd? The reason I ask is becuase once I backed up my copy of burnout 3 to the hdd, the game freezes at its initial loading screen and never reaches the main menu.

I just tried to play halo 2 from the disc and it worked fine, so I attempted to run it from the hard drive again and it worked perfectly...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  17. steimy

steimy Active member

18. TravDude

TravDude Member

Wow, thanks for all the great advice!

On a side note, what would cause a FTP connection between my pc and xbox to quit working? (I can no longer connect to my xbox)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  19. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Make sure it is enabled.
    Make sure your Xbox IP is [bold]not[/bold] set to static (If it is, then try it on static, if not then keep it off.
    Make sure telnet is turned on
    Make sure FTP is enabled
    Make sure you are using the correct cable (crossover cable)
    Make sure you have the correct username and password (default - xbox/xbox)
    Make sure the Xbox is running only the modded dashboard, as FTP cannot be used when an app/game has been launched.

-Mike

20. TravDude

TravDude Member

Thanks! Currently it is set to a static IP, I'll try switching that setting. All of the other characteristics you listed are the same as the ones that I am using. I used to be able to connect to my xbox with full functionality, but it suddenly quit being able to connect. Would a setting change cause that?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006