Problems with brand new machine

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Rob_K, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Rob_K

Rob_K Member

Hey what's up guys, I'm not entirely sure if this is the right thread so sorry if I'm in the wrong place. My friend just bought a new machine this month and got it 2 days ago. When he installed Call of Duty 2 and tried to run it he was getting horrible FPS. He went and turned down all his settings to the max performance and lowest quality settings and it didn't even seem to help. I have a 2 year old machine and I run CoD2 great. I'm running a 3.4 gHz P4 with 1 gig RAM and an ati x800 xt graphics card. His rig:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+
    nVidia GeForce 7300 LE
    1 gig RAM

We cannot figure out the problem. He is getting absolutely horrible frames down to almost single digits and some points and I never experience these problems. Any suggestions? Did my friend buy a piece of crap? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. l34merik

l34merik Regular member

Well everything seems fine, except for the video card. I recommend getting a better one at least the 7600gs (under a hundred). If you don't want to spend the money yet, you could try and see if he has spyware/viruses/crapware on his computer and clean it. But if it works fine normally and slow on games, it's probably the graphics card isn't good enough. 7300LE is almost like integrated graphics anyways so like I said get a 7600gs or better (6600 and 6800 works too). On the ati side i would recommend the 9800 or the x700 minimum. All those cards I recommended are under $100 too.

3. gtjr_ph

gtjr_ph Regular member

replace the video card with a 7300gt 256mb ddr3, that card, LE=low end

4. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

is the game set to run on one core only(in task manager)? or is it optimized for a dual core setup?

they are right tho, the 73s aren't a gaming card(great for quiet htpcs), i belive you can get a 7600gt in the sales for about $80 which is a steal imo.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007