1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Pioneer A03 w/ DVD-RW

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by dRD, May 3, 2002.

1. mscogna

mscogna Member

I've got a Sony and have had no problem with any of the copies I have burned....

It's great to express your opinion, but this forum is for asking and answering questions on DVD creation. Perhaps another site would be better suited for you. Have a good one!

2. digger

digger Member

I agree this site is for dvd creating but people need to realise that part of the problem with copying dvdr's is that not all players are compatable I have copied loads of dvds and am willing to share my knowledge with others but how many of you bought a dvd writer thinking they would make some money out of it. it dont work that way. Get the right player first look at this one advertsed at bigpockets.co.uk its the first ive seen that states it plays dvdr's

Last edited: May 10, 2002
  3. mikeyc

mikeyc Member

Well... I have another ? I am trying to split a DVD 9, and burn it onto 2 DVD R's. The only instructions I have found on this say to use smartrip to rip half of the DVD, then the other half.
    Then to use Ifoedit and "get VTS sectors", which seems to work fine, then it advises to use the VOB extra's menu, and choose every option accept for Re-Mux, then run. Everytime I get to this step, Ifo crashes, and closes??
    Is this a neccesary step before burning the VIDEO_TS folder to DVD R or not?? If it is neccesary, why will it not complete the process??

Thanks!

4. 12monkeys

12monkeys Member

You guys are amazing help. Didn't even have to ask a question.

My issue was that I could burn a DVD-R and play it back on a set-top. But tried on a DVD-RW to test my IFOEDIT skills - and the DVD-RW doesn't play on th set-top. From VCDHelp, my set-top player can't handle DVD-RW. Switching back to DVD-R immediately. Now I don't have to pull my hair out anymore.

By the way - what's the advantage of playing via a set-top versus on the PC with a decent video and sound card ??? It's nice to give your copied movies to friemds who may only have a set-top - but is there a playback quality advantage ?

Chimpy

5. digger

digger Member

mscogna I think I know why your sony works and the ones ive tried dont im from the uk and we get stiffed when it comes to quality take the ps2 for example the laser for the uk version is weaker than the us version is sony using weaker lasers in the standalones here too

as for the last question does dvd work better on pc or on a standalone it depends on your video card and sound card

6. mosaic

mosaic Member

Digger is prob. right about weaker lasers.....Its well Known that US. and Jap manufacturers use better materials for their domestic products than products made for export....
    Especially in cars etc....

And have you ever wondered why .....some electronics & software have to be specially made for export....because of US transfer of technology laws. This was a BIG thing with computer equipment.
    So ppeps with US/JAP equipment have better luck with DVD-R ....maybe even the DVD-R that is sold as export is lower quality than the ones we use.

7. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Quick update to the original problem:

Pioneer UK's customer service (wow, a reply within 24hrs, impressive) told me that several customers have had issues burning DataSafe DVD-RWs with A03. Some say that updating firmware has helped them, but that didn't do the magic for me as I already have v1.80 firmware which is the latest one.

I'm waiting to get blank DVD-Rs to see if they perform any better -- haven't managed to burn a single DVD yet, since I only had 10 DataSafes when I got the drive. None of them have worked with my drive.

8. mosaic

mosaic Member

I haveo a 100% success with Pengo General DVD .....At both 1x and 2x just be sure to put in the AUDIO_TS for maximum settop compatibility.

Plays on GE, Panasonic, Daewoo, PS2 etc.

I will be trying some meritline general media in a wekk or so ....will let ya know.

9. mscogna

mscogna Member

Hmmmmmmm!!! I have never put an AUDIO_TS folder on the disc.... and I haven't copied one that had one yet.

10. joshua

joshua Member

I have burned 5 movies (all under 4.7 gigs) with 100% success on cheap $1 media. All I did was rip with DVDdecrypter, "get vts sectors", then "region free" the disc then burn with nero.
    I have a sony DVP-NC600.
    The only prob I had was when I tried to back up my Harry Potter, it is about 7 gigs or so.
    I tried using IFOedit to split to 2 DVD-r`s,
    added the video_ts.ifo and .bup files from the original rip, and adjusted the chapter count on the video_ts.ifo, burned the first disc and comp didn`t recognise the disc.
    I am wondering, yes there is a question at the end of this..... what if the menu files are on the same .vob file as the movie and these are split onto the second disc ? How does the IFOedit split `em up ?
    If the menu is on a seperate .vob then you can just burn it to both discs , but I don`t now how to do it when you just have one .vob list.
    ie. VTS_01_X.VOB and so on
    Any advice ?
    oh yeah, I always add a AUDIO_TS file aswell aparently it really improves compatibility
    :)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2002