Problems with Sony DRU-120A

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by barkeep, Apr 21, 2003.

1. barkeep

barkeep Guest

I've had very limited success writing discs that I can play in a standalone DVD Player.
    My machine:
    Windows 2000, SP3
    P3, 1.2 GHz
    512 MB RAM
    Sony DRU-120A DVD+R/+RW

I'd like to talk to someone that has a similar setup, and find out what they use to do the following:
    - Copy commercial DVDs
    - Create DVDs from MPEG-2 files
    - Create VCDs from avi or MPEG-1 files

The only success I've had is with copying XXX DVDs (probably because of no copy protection?)

I've read the forums, I've read the guides, and I have tried:
    - DVD Decryper. For commercial DVDs, it always gets to a certain spot on the ripping, and they stops, getting disc read errors, eventually stopping the rip altogether

- DvdXCopy also gets disc read errors

I've tried a few movies, and have cleaned the discs, but still get the problem.

So, the next thing I've been having a problem with is trying to take my huge numbers of mpgs, avis, etc and burning them onto either DVD or VCD format to play in a standalone DVD player. I've tried neoDVD, B's Recorder Gold, and Nero. All seem to go through an encoding process, then start to try to write to the disc, but then fail (thus creating a coaster) For example, neoDVD just simply says "Failed to write to the disc" after getting to Track 3.

Anyone with similar experiences that was able to fix it?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2003
  2. barkeep

barkeep Guest

Still having problems...has anyone had any luck with this hardware?

3. kinel

kinel Regular member

i have same dvd rw as you and i can only copy to hard drive cant even start to write dvds ime using nero5.5 and dvd decripter toohow do u get it to start writing with nero

4. kinel

kinel Regular member

by the way how mutch did u pay for it i paid 200 pounds last week and how long you had yours cas i want to see if i got ripped off cas i think its probally an old model

5. barkeep

barkeep Guest

I got mine about a year ago for about $350 American.

6. nate111

nate111 Member

I'm using XP as the OS and Roxio EAsyCD platinum as the burning software. I have spuriou sproblems with what looks almost like an interupt problem on the burner.

Verbatim disks had a lot of failure.
    Maxel disks some failures
    Memorex ($4 per disk) the least failures, but still some coasters.

7. commwiz

commwiz Guest

Inadequate power supply? Firmware up to date? Tried various brands of media?

8. kinel

kinel Regular member

barkeep i have same dvd rw as you and i copied a dvds with sucsess now ime using dvd decipter witch is free and nero 5.5 9.9if the dvd is -5 you can just make a straight copy if its -9 u have to make it smaller by taking off stuff from film ie credits u do this with a program called smart ripper heres what i do i put dvd in rw then select dvd decripter then go to file then decriptif movie is -5 selet all if its a -9 just let it select it for you then press decript after its decripted i open nero 5.5 then select dvd videothen select new then selct the name of movie from hd then drag the files into the left hand window to the video ts foldernot into audio then press recoird then it makes a copy in about 15 mins hope this helps all of you

9. kinel

kinel Regular member

barkeep sorry i said i use dvd smartriper i dont i use dvd shrink if the movie is under 4.3 gbsi use dvd decripter to decript movie then burn but in dvd decripter i select all files then select in mode select fileif the movie is over it i use dvd shrink here is a diagram how to use the program hope it helps u by the way its a free program it has a link on top if u wana download it i thinkwhen i backupedmy movies i used dvd rws i have same dvd rw as you but ime using windows 98 se http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/