Progressive Scan DVD players

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Hogustus, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Hogustus

Hogustus Member

I recently purchased a new panasonic progressive scan DVD player. Whenever a press the "progressive" button on the player, the DVD picture becomes scrambled. My TV is only 6 months old, flat screen, HD ready, not a cheapo. I asked a friend about it and his new DVD player does the same thing? Is there some special requirements for your television in order to view progressive scan DVDs? Thanks in advance..

2. Labrat

Labrat Regular member

Yes your tv need to be progressive scan also with the 3 video composite hook ups on the back of your tv. If I remember they should be the ones that are blue green an yellow color coded.

3. Hogustus

Hogustus Member

I currently am using monster component cables directly from my dvd player into the back of my tv. Still no good. What do you mean by the tv must be progressive scan also? Is that only on brand new tvs? I would have thought my 6 month old tv would have this capability. Please clarify further if you can. Thanks.

4. Labrat

Labrat Regular member

Connect the Dvd Players green,blue, and red Y PB PR (Video out) Jacks to the corresponding conponent video in jack on the tv. The Y PB PR jacks[bold]("<-Look for these on the back of your Player an Tv")[/bold] on the player can send video as either component/Interlaced video or Progressive Scan video. If your Tv has Progressive Scan and you are using the Dvd players Y PB PR jacks, press the progressive scan button on the front of your player to have it send progressive scan video..

5. Hogustus

Hogustus Member

That is what I am doing. The cables are connected properly, but how do you know if your tv is a progressive scan tv? Is there anything you need to adjust setting-wise, or would it just work? I have never heard of progressive scan televisions, so I was not sure where to go from here.

6. Labrat

Labrat Regular member

Ok since you do have the 3 Y PB PR (Video out) Jacks all hooked up. You should look for the system menu button on your Dvd remote press it and it should bring you to a video output page or something similar. It should have a setting where you can choose to turn on the progressive scan. "Sometime it will be labeled as Proscan". Try this if this doesn't work then I am at a loss to why it wouldn't work.