1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 And Swap Magic Help~PLEASE READ~

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by Eric04h, Apr 22, 2004.

1. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

What version PS2 do you have and do any Original DVD games work at all.
    It does sound like your PS2 laser is going. Adjusting the laser pots will usually help for awhile, but you may still need a replacement.
    More about the laser adjusting here:
    http://www.cyber-mag.com/station/laserPS2.htm

2. Megaroad

Megaroad Member

Looks like a version 4. My quick part research tells me that a replacement laser will cost $40-70 dollars. While the laser for the slim PS2 will cost under $20.

If I toy around with the laser I'll need to get a laser down the road anyways. If I screw up I'll need to get it even sooner. Man that part is expensive. Really expensive when you can find a new or slightly used PS2 for only twice that price. Maybe I should have bought a Japanese PS2. I tried the Swap Magic thinking it would be the cheapest and least chance of damaging things. I think I got my PS2 in late 2001. Think the laser going bad from age or did I speed up the process with the swap?

Might have to play around with the pots but gonna be reading it over 100 times before attempting.

3. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Yes I don't blame you to take your time and read quite a bit before adjusting the pots.
    You may be better off to just purchase a new slim PS2, and they are more compatible probably with the backups and swap magic.
    Here is a guide if you do decide to adjust them.

4. danny1988

danny1988 Member

That's great to hear. Thanks.

5. danny1988

danny1988 Member

As in the Magic Keys II would fit into the metal tab area, as opposed to using the 'tape and tissue' method?

6. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

You can do the Tape and Tissue method if you like. Its cheaper.

7. danny1988

danny1988 Member

No no. I meant does the Magic Keys II definitely work with my SCPH-79002 without using tape and tissue method (since the post with the pics recommended using this tape method since the keys wouldn't fit into the metal tab area). I'm assuming he was referring to the first Magic Keys and not Magickeys II though.

Sorry about this. Just info on my version seems pretty vague. Thanks

8. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Ok sorry, yes its the magic keys II or the newest swap tool pro 2006 that you would need for your version because of the metal tab.

9. honess

honess Member

Does anyone know where i could download swap magic. If so would it work with CDRW?

10. Adams308

Adams308 Member

from what i have read if u download any of the swap magic programs, they don't work at all i have tried 15 of them and with none of them working i guess it's wright................... if anyone could state they've had any success please put it in the forum 4 all 2 read ..................

11. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Yes you can download Swap Magic but it only works if you have a previous retail version of Swap Magic so they say.
    Basically you need some way to Boot the downloaded Swap Magic, either by previous older version, or by some exploit.
    You need to do a TOC refresh if you do use this version of Swap Magic. So you need to have our ps2 modded so you can swap discs.
    No it will not work burned to a CD-RW, you need to use CD-R,CD+R or DVD-R to work with PS2
    To find the Swap magic you can go here: http://forums.sksapps.info/
    and you need to register, then do a search there or ask for the Swap Magic 3.8 coder DVD, or SM 3.6 CD or DVD.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  12. danny1988

danny1988 Member

Sorry if this is unnecessary, but are Swapmagic discs sort of irregular? I mean that they might make a 'scraping' sound when used in the PS2, because mine seems to be making the noise when my other discs are working/sounding fine.
    Also, with the 3rd (final) magic key with the long leg, it's supposed to allow the lid to close freely right and not obstruct it even in the slightest way?
    I managed to get the backup games to work, but with some temporary pieces since I had some missing components in the package, which I hope the store would sort out.

13. micl1

micl1 Guest

Need some help here I've read about 10 pages of this thread but can't find my problem. I bought a fliptop cover for my sons ps2 and the swapmagic dvd V3.3 and followed the instructions for fitting the lid. I must be doing something wrong because it wont load any games ( ps2 Originals or Imports or the swapmagic dvd)and there is a hell of a lot of noise when the disc is spinning. I replaced the original cover and the ps2 works fine but now I have a fliptop lid and sm disc gathering dust. Any help would be much appreciated

14. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Its not uncommon for the fliptops to be too tight. Check this thread, and check the link in the post I made. Should help you out.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/615739

15. micl1

micl1 Guest

@ smokeyrain
    Thanks for the heads up on that problem. Followed Kiaru's instructions to the letter and the yougfella is now playing away on the ps2. This solution is a must for anyone who bought their fliptop cover from psxservices.co.uk. There is no mention of the metal piece in their instructions. Once again thanks smokeyrain for pointing me in the right direction and a big thanks to Kiaru for posting this

16. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Your very welcome and glad its worked out and the young fella can play. I bought mine from another place and same thing, so I think its pretty much most of the fliptops. I know I was thankful for that post.

17. cstar

cstar Member

I'm very close to ordering swap magic, but first I have a couple of questions about it:

1. I have a SPCH 77001 slim PS2. Will Swap Magic 3.6 Swap Magic 3.6
    and Swap Tool Pro
    Swap Tool Pro
    work with it?
    2. I've heard horror stories about part E and installing it. Is it worth it in the end? I really don't want to void my warranty but I've heard that part E has even made some people's PS2s completely stop working.

18. micl1

micl1 Guest

you could buy the fliptop cover if your worriedabout damaging the console. every thing you could run into problem wise is in this thread. they cost around 20gbp and you can fit it in around 10 minutes. try ps2cover.com or psx services, and dont forget the metal strip in kiaru's post it;s not included in either of their installation guides

19. cstar

cstar Member

20. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

The Tool E can be hard to fit on some later models of PS2 slim. But the latest Swap Tool Pro 2006 is supposed to fit properly.
    The only problem with some fliptops is making sure it fits properly so the discs will play. The slim is better than the FAT PS2 being the discs fit properly on the spindle without the white piece overtop of it.
    Here is a cheaper fliptop in Canada, they are trustworthy to buy from. I have purchased from them with no problems