1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 BOOT CD

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Stinky_1, Feb 18, 2005.

1. ToMmYAzO

ToMmYAzO Guest

If anyone knows of a boot cd that i can burn that actually works without having a mod chip please let me know.
    I have waisted about 20 cd's trying different methods, and i have yet to find one that actually works.
    All i wanna do is play my snes emulator on the ps2 and thats it but i cant find a boot disc that actually loads.
    Please I ned help!
    email me at [bold][removed][/bold]
    Thanks everyone

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2005
  2. FLex83

FLex83 Guest

same here ToMmYAzO

3. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

paypal $5 to me and I will send you a file downwload link

4. truballa8

truballa8 Member

u need a slide card or fliptop for this boot cd,rite..................

5. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

you "could" use it with a slide card or flip top. BUt the best method is to have a direct boot mod chip. The whole point was to NOT have to fiddle with the playstation at all, or be swapping discs all around to access your different applications.

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

[bold]ToMmYAzO[/bold] and [bold]FLex83[/bold]

email addresses removed. pls see the Forum rules, they're in my signature

7. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

[bold]ToMmYAzO[/bold], u prob just waisted $5 on those CDR's. Why not just email Stinky_1 & get the D/l link??

8. dsmtech

dsmtech Member

Can you please help me with a fairly simple question. I am wondering if what I am trying to do is actually possible. It looks like I should be able to do what I want having read through all 17 pages of this thread, but I have not found the correct method yet.

I want to connect an external hard drive to my PS2 via USB using a 3.5" or 5.25" external enclosure and play my PS2 games from the hard drive.

I have played around with your All-in-one disk with some success.

I can get into LaunchELF OK and load up some of the utilities on the disk. However none of the utilities can see my USB device at all. My PC can see the drive OK. I have tried formatting the drive as NTFS, FAT and also as a PS2 drive using winHIIP but apps like USB_HDD_ADVANCE and STINKYS_HDLOADER cannot find a USB device connected.

If I connect a 512MB USB flash drive to my PS2 then USB_HDD_ADVANCE will find that OK. I have used three different external USB enclosures and three different hard drives (20GB, 80GB and 200GB) with no luck.

My PS2 has been modded (but I am not sure exactly what chip has been used).

I can see that apps like HDLOADER looks for an INTERNAL hard drive connected using the IDE interface of the seperate ethernet adapter. I do not have the seperate ethernet adapter so I cannot test this theory.

Should I be able to use an external USB hard drive to play PS2 games?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2005
  9. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

look on the internet for the HDD setup utility for USB Advance. Do a search, you should be able to find it. Not on this forum though. It should format the hdd in whatever format you need it to be in. I think it has to be in FAT format, not NTFS. But having never actually used a USB hdd I cant say for sure.

I have tried the USB advance with a memory card and my digital camera and it saw that just fine. But I dont know what format those cards are in. The hdd should be the same though.

If you have a fat PS2 then do yourself a favor..... go to the store and buy a netword adapter. And plug it internally. Not only does it play faster, it keeps the system alot neater because you dont have peices hanging off (ie: an external USB hdd).

Playing off a USB hdd is actually SLOWER than playing off a CD. So the ONLY reason you would ever want to do that is if you had a slim PS2 and needed it for piracy. Otherwise, you are better off just running a backup disk in your ps2.

10. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

11. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

12. dsmtech

dsmtech Member

Thank you for the link.

I have actually already been down that path. I have formatted the drive, loaded a game onto the drive and have plugged it into the PS2. Now the question is how do I get the PS2 to look at the HDD and load the game?

I have used your AIO disk and started up the .elf's but none appear to see my external HDD and allow me to run a PS2 game (although interestingly if I format the HDD as NTFS then LaunchELF will see the drive by selecting MASS, but LaunchELF cannot load a PS2 game)

I understand from your previous post that you do not have a USB HDD to try it out on. From what I can see, the tools on the AIO disk are for use with an internal HDD via the ethernet adapter. Is this right? If so, I can see why you suggest to go to the store and buy an adapter.

Thank you for your help so far.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2005
  13. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2006
  14. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

Like I said. I have only experience with the internal HDD. I dont see the point to running the external ones for a number of reasons. BUt when I did test it with a USB memory card it showed up just fine. So I suspected it would work fine with a hdd as well. It appearantly is NOT the case for you.

Try the link the other member just posted. It seems to be pretty in depth. The only problem you may have is that you are not using swap magic to boot into the .elf. So leave that part out.

Also I noticed there is a new version of USBADVANCE out. You may try that one if you havnt already. Its version 1.

15. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

thanks Stinky_1, helped clear up some stuff I didn't know.
    When ppl think of the v12-v15 slimline, they think they can't use an internal HDD anymore...this is untrue. Too many ppl think the USB Advance is fast, but it's only USB 1.1 which is not even 1.2Mbps. Open the PS2 and look inside, you will see a # of places where the Network Adapter used to connect. $ony didn't want to reengineer the entire system (got lazy I guess), so they just "cut off" the Network Adapter. But the points to solder are still there....

Look up the XCM HD Connect on Google, here's a picture: http://www.gamefreax.com/shop/pix/a/n/1117813480-24946.hdconnect.jpg and there is also the HD Combo http://www.hdcombo.com which gives you BACK what $ony took away on the slimline. You'll have the fast speeds of the fat PS2's hard drive by connecting your own through either of these.

16. philng

philng Member

Can someone tell me how to create dvd version of this boot disc?

17. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

it at about page 7 of this thread. If you dont see it there then try forward or backwards 5 pages.

18. bangemd

bangemd Member

Nice thread bump

19. t99clint

t99clint Member

the site no longer works ne1 still have a copy of this disk?

20. mobywalt

mobywalt Regular member

i do somewere also i have a different kind for the ps2 which is so so so so so so so much easyer to use then stickys even though his was very very good email me bloodygreatguy@yahoo.co.uk