1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Slimline guide: external USB hard drive & game playing (NO CHIP REQ'D)

Discussion in 'PS2' started by MasterChu, May 30, 2006.

1. zimsters

zimsters Member

wow, awesome resource - thanks for that.

so here's the latest in my woes.

i took your usbadvance and have put it in my hdd as swapmagic.elf. i put in my swapmagic DVD and it loads up usbadvance without problems.

next, i took the fifa dvd i had, replaced the iopr300.img file as you mentioned. i recopied the game onto the harddrive using usbextreme.

now, the game DOES boot up, however it gets stuck in the opening page "fifa 07". it does not go beyond that black screen with the fifa07 logo.

to do the iopr replacement, i used magiciso to simply remove the old files and replace the new ones, and save the iso. i figure this is the same as going through the lengthly process of copying everything over to my drive, replacing, rebuilding, god knows that. unless that's part of the REQUIRED process?

thanks for all your help guys, i really appreciate it.

i'm trying out gran turismo 4 in about 20 mins (via DVD, givin gup on this harddrive deal!). will let you know if that works :)

cheers!

2. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

You mentioned the game fifa 2007 you have is PAL. I am wondering if your PS2 is PAL also.

If not what happens sometimes is the PAL games won't play proper on USB or otherwise is your PS2 is NTSC unless the game is a Multi DVD.

I then use the ADR patcher to fix these games, or the PAL to NTSC. I have had better luck with the ADR patcher though.

The Jaydium site is back up to check on compatibility.

If you need the ADR patcher you can get it from here:
    Or the PAL to NTSC here:
    http://www.exploitstation.com/index.php?page=downloads

3. gamebox

gamebox Member

MasterChu thanx for all your job it was great to learn some thing in ps2 with hdd any way i have a small qutition for and plz can you send answer on my mail..

i have don things to make my ps2 slim read hdd usb with ac power

i make download for image of usb advanc .cue

i burn on cd sony with alcohol 120 and it work fine

now i can see inter face of usb advanc program on my tv screan

but still can't see my usb hdd what can i do for that my hdd was

format with ntfs .....so help me plz thanx and bye ..

4. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

Moving to Langjökull in Iceland - so all the info I posted is moving with me!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007
  5. gamebox

gamebox Member

thanx man for your reply..and id did what you sayed i make format as fat 32 ...and also did not detect my usb..may hard is ide 120 g wd and formated now as fat 32 and i have usb cabl with ac power..and i was wondring if i have to but my jumber as master or what...thanx man and i hope to hear from you soon bye

6. fbmrider

fbmrider Member

MasterChu, I've been looking and posting around these forums for a fix to my problem. Basically, I have USBAdvance working fine, it detects my HD and everything. The problem is that none of my games will load. This could just be coincidence, my shitluck, or maybe they really aren't compatible with the game (GH1, GH2, THAW). My HD is formatted to FAT32, I've ripped everything to the drive using USBExtreme. Everything runs fine until I load up the gsmes. I press X, and my HD light begins blinking. After a little bit, the screen flashes in the top right corner, my HD light stays lit and it hangs at a black screen. Does anyone have any clues as to why this is? I'm just guessing at this point they're incompatible with USBAdvance. But whatever you guys can tell me, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

7. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  8. fbmrider

fbmrider Member

I suppose that's the case..
    On the plus side though, I did get everything working through CogSwap with a take-off of the tape and tissue mod (used cardboard instead of tissues). Been working on custom songs all day. It's quite a mix, to say the least..=D

9. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Thats cool..Does take some time doesn't it,compiling songs but nice in the end.
    Well good luck with it and hopefully down the road you will find some games that are compatible with the usb extreme.

10. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

11. ekings

ekings Guest

@MasterChu My Ps2 is already modded with matrix infinity...Do i still to put USBAdvance Files in my HDD...

I burn the USBAdvance cue files in a cd..put it in my ps2 but all i got is a black screen....I wonder where i had done worng...

12. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

13. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

14. ekings

ekings Guest

could anyone tell me the procedure in putting the luanchELF file in my Hdd...

15. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

@ Masterchu- wow I can't believe you have edited all your posts.
    I was just going to give this link to someone in a post and find its gone.
    I know I truly valued and appreciated all your info and time put into it.Thanks.
    Sorry to see you go, something or someone must have pissed u off. Well I guess what can you do sometimes. Its gone its gone I guess.

16. davindra

davindra Member

Hello all,
    I've been able to get ps2 games to boot off the external on the slim ps2, but they're really slow. The main reason why I went the external route was to have a bunch of games readily available. However the games are running too slow.

The ps2 is usb 1.1?

17. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

Yes

18. govnoff

govnoff Guest

will usb2.0 hdd works fine?

19. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

No matter what you do (as long as you somehow find a way to upgrade PS2's USB ports to 2.0 from 1.1) It's the port that is only capable of
    1.1 functionality so even if you put USB 2.0 HDD it will only work to
    1.1 potential.

20. davindra

davindra Member

Okay. I accept defeat.

Out of pure curiosity why would anybody want to run games off an external HD then?

I mean I found a wealth of information on how to get it to work, but none mentioned the critical point that doing so would lead to poor performance compared to loading from the optical drive.

I am guessing for homebrew stuff, or anything that does not need to read data actively.