1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Slimline guide: external USB hard drive & game playing (NO CHIP REQ'D)

Discussion in 'PS2' started by MasterChu, May 30, 2006.

1. m4ni

m4ni Member

hi dear hope ur fine I need ur help to work my ps2slim with hdd what type usb hdd i have to use with my ps2 & what type of software to use with my ps2 slimline & can i get the sotware free from internet Help me im from Pakistan Imran is my name & also help me to buy a original joypad of ps2

Tahnx Waiting for ur reply on my e-mail id
    (nomailallowed@yahoo.com )

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@m4ni
    No emails allowed - post edited.

3. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Ok first you need to have your PS2 modded in some manner, either with a modchip, magic keys, or fliptop.
    You can just use the tape and tissue method or straw method instead of magic keys.
    http://www.geocities.com/scorcci/tutoriais/pstwo_easy_mode.html
    http://www.geocities.com/pstwoslimline/tapetissue.html
    The type of USB drive you get needs to be backwards compatible with USB 1.1 as the PS2 is not USB 2.0 capable. Seagate, Western Digital, Samsung etc. Mine has an AC adaptor and usb plug for PS2 or computer.
    The software is not free no, you either need to get USB Extreme, but you can only use it for the USB hard drive, the good thing about it though is you wouldnt have to mod your PS2. Or you can get Swap Magic, and then you would have to follow the tutorial above by Masterchu to get it too work, plus you could then play PS2 backups also.
    As for getting an original joypad for PS2, I get my stuff off Ebay.
    I don't know what shops you have over there, but at stores that sell PS2 should have them also.
    Also check the faqs and guides in my signature for more info.
    Hope that helps you out some.

4. aseem12

aseem12 Member

*hi
    is it possible to use the laptop hdd in an usb hdd case with the ps2 slimline (version ??). it already has a mod chip (name ??) that has worked with all games for the past 2 years, but the lens has gone way weak.
    is it possible to use all free softwares to do this, cause i cant buy the softwares.
    i have winxp. can anyone please guide me on how to do it, i have ready all the steps mentioned here but cant fully understand them. do i have to write some CD and use on the ps2 while the hhd is connected or is that only for non modded ps2's. plz help.
    also i have a hitachi 250 GB HDD (not of laptop) and an usb enclosure for it, will that work.

5. dj_wayne

dj_wayne Member

hi is there any body that can help me i have a ps2 a slim line model number 75003 and i have a 80gb western digital hdd and every time i try and load a game off it the ps2 keeps saying there is no hdd can some one help me plese i think i might not be doing it properly

6. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

I am guessing you have formatted the drive with FAT32.
    Copied the games with either USBExtreme or USBInsane.
    Now how are you booting the drive, are you using Swap Magic or an exploit?
    With Swapmagic, you just need to create a folder called SWAPMAGIC on your drive, then copy the usbadvance.elf to that folder, rename the usbadvance.elf to SWAPMAGIC.ELF.
    Then just boot up Swapmagic disk, with the drive plugged into PS2, and it should find the SWAPMAGIC.ELF and load your games.

What method have you used or tried so far to get your games on your drive and boot?

7. Freyta

Freyta Member

Hello.
    Sorry for the stupid question in advance.. :p!
    I am following the original guide and I get to this part, and I can't copy the games to my HDD.. I don't know how to put the games on the HDD properly so that they show up on the PStwo (slim).. It is really bugging me, I have been trying for 4 hours :-(!!.

STEP 5 - Using the USB HDD on your PS2 Slimline

You will need to "exploit" your PStwo Slimline so that you can launch a single ELF file called "USBADVN.ELF". There are one of three methods:

Method 1 - Using Action Replay Max & USB memory stick

I use this method as I find it the most simpliest:
    - connect USB memory stick to your computer
    - copy the USBADVN.ELF file to USB memory stick
    - remove USB memory stick and insert to PS2 slimline
    - insert Action Replay MAX CD into PS2 slimline
    - wait for Action Replay to load
    - select the Media Player
    - wait for Media Player to load
    - "Play" the file called "USBADVN.ELF" from the memory stick

- USB Advanced will now load up
    - connect your USB HDD to your PS2 slimline
    - USB advanced will autodetect the HDD
    - you should now see your games in the left side of the screen
    - select the game you want to play and enjoy

(I have the memor32 memory card with USB Advance ELF installed.)

8. dj_wayne

dj_wayne Member

i dont have a action replay disc i only have the swap magic disk's and they dont have a media player option plz reply asap

9. privateus

privateus Member

Freyta, how do you like the Memor32? Are you using the Memento firmware with this?

10. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Just make a new folder named SWAPMAGIC on your drive, then copy the usbadvance.elf to that folder, rename the usbadvance.elf to SWAPMAGIC.ELF
    Then just have your drive connected to PS2 and turned on, boot up with Swap Magic and it should find the usbadvance.elf that you renamed.

11. Mchcr125

Mchcr125 Member

Freyta that's not really a stupid question. I used Extreme instead of advanced, but I think Advance is just the hacked version. On extreme you had to use command prompt. It's been a long time since I used it so I don't want to guide you wrong. A quick search should help you out. If you still can't find out just let me know. I will find out for you

12. Freyta

Freyta Member

@privateus: I am in Australia so, so far it is working good. I can only use the V1.1 firmware which means no HDD support yet :-(!!
    The ELFs boot fine, (Tetris and USB Extreme and HDLoader). For games to work you have to rip them to ISO and patch them using the patching exe with the firmware download, works good after that! I personally think it is worth the money.

@Mchcr125: I managed to get it to work endlessly!!! I followed this tutorial, works good... and ripping the games works too (though a little slow when loading).

Thanks for this tut :]

13. dj_wayne

dj_wayne Member

hi i ahve done the coppying of the swapmagic.elf into the hard drive and now i am just wondering how do i go about getting the games on the hard drive any how can i get it to be able to choose from diferent games as i have had to take the ps2 apart so i could get to the switches and now all i want to do is just be able to choose them from the hard drive instead plz reply asap

14. buck28

buck28 Member

hey master chu
    can u give me a guide on howto setup a 500gig usb hdd on a ps2 slim with usb extreme i own a original armax action replay i can boot elfs and usb advance elf but its not seeing my hdd a good detailed copy to tell me how to do this would be fine if u could make one for me thanks man

15. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Masterchu is no longer at afterdawn forums, if you had noticed his posts in the first page.
    To see your hdd with the usbadvance.elf you need to first format the drive with NTFS in Windows.
    Then you need this tool to format again with FAT32 and also use this to transfer games to usb hdd. http://www.hdadvance.com/download/USBExtreme_wininst.zip
    or use USB Insane to transfer ISO images or from Drive tray to transfer games. It gives a more accurate Disc size on hdd.
    A lot of games are not compatible so you may have to follow the tutorial posted in this thread. Read #2 and #3 of the post to get the links.
    A compatibility site is here. It will show if its compatible with usbadvance.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  16. cyanide91

cyanide91 Member

Guys, I've got a problem here:

When I boot my PS2, this is the normal boot pattern
    1. “MATRIX” splash
    2. “SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT” splash with those comet-things
    3. “PLAYSTATION 2 infinity” splash
    4. Game boots

Now, I burned this USBadvance, then this was the sequence:
    1. “MATRIX” splash
    2. “SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT” splash with those comet-things
    3. “MATRIX infinity” splash. Not PLAYSTATION infinity, like it happens on a normal CD game boot.
    4. Black screen, nothing happens
    Can someone please help me!

17. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

no problem, just read this
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/250563#2649906

Scroll down to fluffNZ post a couple posts down.

That should fix it for you.

18. johnyept

johnyept Member

ROFTL?

Why didn't you leave the first post as it was? Just now that i decided to tris this in my brother's PS2, you decide to delete your post... go figure...

19. la2am

la2am Member

There are still plenty of guides out there to show you how to do this.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/250563

20. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Lol, you will find his original post here:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/21/348187#3435437