1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Slimline guide: external USB hard drive & game playing (NO CHIP REQ'D)

Discussion in 'PS2' started by MasterChu, May 30, 2006.

1. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

Moving to Langjökull in Iceland - so all the info I posted is moving with me!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007
  2. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

Hey, MasterChu, do you know a place that has a guide to making your own homebrew program for the PlayStation 2? All this talk about bad compatibility with USBeXtreme gives me the idea of making something that is the combination of HD Loader and USBeXtreme(a derivant).

3. itachi64

itachi64 Guest

sounds cool

4. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

Yeah. Want I want to do is this: use USBeXtreme's compatibility with a USB hard drive, and implement these features from HD Loader:

-MODE 1, MODE 2, MODE 3
    -The ability to dump the game from the console to the hard drive
    -Use the HDL Dump utility for dumping the game on your computer
    -The ability to dump dual-layer DVD-ROM games from the console to the hard drive

How does it sound now? Like that, compatibility should be the same or similar to HD Advance 3.0. If only the company who made USBeXtreme would have thought of this before. All I need now is a guide on how to write a PlayStation 2 homebrew program.
    The utility's name(not the official name yet) that I thought of is USB Loader. It will be an ELF file. PM me with your e-mail adresses(if that's not against the rules) when I finish the utility(I'm no programing expert, so it will take long. I'll do my best to get USB Loader finished as soon as possible).

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  5. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

6. itachi64

itachi64 Guest

send me the first copy of your software Ace_2 when u finish making it. okay tell u email address after u make it just ask me for it k!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2006
  7. emugamer

emugamer Regular member

Hello all,

I read through all of the replies (can't say I understood everything completely :) I have a couple of nube questions....hope you don't mind..

I happen to have a USB AC powered 500GB HDD. It has a lot of stuff on it that I find very important. Does that matter? Can I just copy the game to it's own directory or something?

I really want to try this method with the games I own, but I was also curious as to whether I could play games that I dl'ed - just copy them from my pc HDD to the usb HDD. Or would I have to mount the game image with Daemon or Alcohol and then use usbextreme to copy the image from the virtual drive to the HDD? The fact that MasterChu's tutorial specifies using usbextreme to copy the game, indicates to me that copying an image to the HDD for this purpose is not just a matter of drag and drop from HDD to HDD.

Thanks in advance for your time!

eg

8. duke69111

duke69111 Guest

You can play your games off of your hard drive as long as it is formated to fat32. If not then you will have to format to fat32, but you will loose all of the stuff on your hard drive, unless you can copy it to your computer long enough to format the external hard drive.

1 - If your external hard drive is fat 32. You will need to put all of the stuff that is currently on you hard drive into a folder. Because when you install the games to your hard drive you can only select the hard drive and it will mix the game files in with your current stuff.

2 - You will have to mount your games to a virtual drive as long as the game file is in a image file such as a .bin, or .nrg and so on.

USBextreme is by far the easiest way to transfer games.

Good Luck

9. emugamer

emugamer Regular member

Thanks a bunch. Can't wait to try it! I actually just received my swap magic 3.6 in the mail with the magic keys. Fingers crossed!

eg

10. itachi64

itachi64 Guest

i have a slim ps2 and i got the coder swap magic but didnt get the things to let the cover open (magic keys etc.) i want to know the version of any magic key v: x or magic switch v: x which will let me open and cloase my lid freely and not have to open my ps2, so can someone help me find one that can let me leave the cover closed and i dont have open my ps2 up.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2006
  11. duke69111

duke69111 Guest

I hate to tell you, but your not going to get much help on this forum posting comments like that.

Do yourself a favor and try searching first.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2006
  12. CrisKahn2

CrisKahn2 Regular member

@Master Chu

you make a good point on ur post and i totally get what u are saying. Like for example with Urban Chaos, GTA:LCS, and Prince of persia that boots off USB Extreme, they all start to load but then have to look for files on the dvd and that is why they freeze and doesnt continue. I would like to try to make a homebrew software but i know nothing about it so i cant really help u.

But then again all the games on HDD loader dont read off the dvd either but they still boot because it has different modes of booting games (3 i think) which USB extreme lacks. Plus like u said HDD loader intercepts the "cdrom0:" and replaces it with / something...so wouldnt it be easier to edit codes in usbextreme and make the program do the same thing HDD loader does? Ace2 has a good idea of combining USB extreme and HD loader into one program. I think it would be better than figurin out how to make a homebrew software that imitates the "cdrom0:" If USBextreme has selectable modes of booting games then it might be more compatible with games. Its probably more complicated than that, to just copy codes from one program and stick into another. But i wouldnt know im a newb @ coding.

I wish i was pro at coding i would of done this hella long ago cuz iv been thinking about it forever. Iv tried to start but stupidity runs in my family lol...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  13. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

14. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

Good point. Geez, I always forget the elements. I didn't know it would have been so complicated to code out this thing. If that theory you have works, I'll scrap the plan to make USB Loader.

15. CrisKahn2

CrisKahn2 Regular member

Dude masterchu u should try out ur theory... seems like it would work. I would try it my self but i dont have a DVD burner. Seriously if ur theory works then all the dnas swapping that is making everyone crazy would dissappear and u would be a hero to all lol...

I dont know if the PS3 would except the HDD that fits in the PS2(so HDD loader would still work) but i know for sure that PS3 has 2.0 usb ports and that = perfect gameplay for ppl with usbextreme. No more choppy cut scenes and forever load times :D

16. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

17. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

Why not just try the game directly on USBeXtreme? If you have a virtual CD/DVD-ROM drive, you can mount the ISO image to the drive and format it to your USB hard drive from there. That's after doing what MasterChu said to do in his theory, of course. You can spare a DVD like that.

18. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

19. dazila

dazila Regular member

y not buy magic keys 2 for slim ps2 and swap magic 3.6 a got mine of www.quadtronics.com for 59.95au and its much easier

20. hawkps2

hawkps2 Member

MasterChu

I tried with the new ELF sent by you.

But still I get a black blank screen and nothing on it

I waited for few minutes too but nothing

Any Clue ?

Mine is a PSTwo SCPH 70006 with Matrix infinity chip (v1.54 i think)

Regards.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2006