1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Slimline guide: external USB hard drive & game playing (NO CHIP REQ'D)

Discussion in 'PS2' started by MasterChu, May 30, 2006.

1. CrisKahn2

CrisKahn2 Regular member

Because not everyone has a DVD burner to make back ups...

2. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

Moving to Langjökull in Iceland - so all the info I posted is moving with me!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007
  3. hawkps2

hawkps2 Member

Hello MasterChu

Thanks for your reply

I will try this using ARMAX

by the way, I enquired in other city and got answer that they mod the PStwo with a IC and solder some port for IDE connections and then it works, its tested method as said by them

I will try for that too if ELF doesn't work

I think that modding method is one I saw on internet which showed some pics on which points to solder on PSTwo PCB

Regards.

4. latino11

latino11 Guest

your problem could be the usb stick your launching it off, i have two usb sticks and only the scandisc one works with the playstation not the Dick Smith one

5. duke69111

duke69111 Guest

Hawk,

Are you following this insturction exactly.

Loading your own programs from USB Mass Storage Devices:
    1. Rename your program to SWAPMAGIC.ELF
    2. Create a folder named SWAPMAGIC in the root directory of your USB Mass Storage
    Devices and then put the SWAPMAGIC.ELF file in the folder.
    3. Plug-in the USB Mass Storage Device to the USB port of the PS2. And then boot your PS2
    with SwapMagic3.6. If the program (SWAPMAGIC.ELF) is found in "../SWAPMAGIC/", it
    will be launched automatically.

You have to make sure the swap magic foler is labeled SWAPMAGIC in all caps

and

that the elf is labeled SWAPMAGIC.elf in all caps except the .elf and is located in the SWAPMAGIC folder.

If you have made sure you have done this then I have no ideas except for try a different usb stick.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2006
  6. hawkps2

hawkps2 Member

Duke

I didnot have swapmagic. I was using uLaunch.elf expoit CD.

Anyway, Hope I get my PSTwo modded with HDCombo.
    I have sent it for this.

1-2 days wait and I will tell you the results.

Regards.

7. dazila

dazila Regular member

no offence but seriously this is stupid y not just get a modchip or swap magic rather then going through this very complicated method

8. itachi64

itachi64 Guest

i agree i got my 3.8 coder swap magic for only 24.94 including the magic switch at consolepoint.com

9. bustacapp

bustacapp Member

Hi all - I'm still new to this whole scene, and I'm sure this is a really dumb question, but is any of this possible with an old-style fat PS2? By which I mean using an external hard drive and connecting it the same way (since the old PS2s had USB ports as well).

Thanks!

10. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

It's best to use an internal IDE hard drive if you have a fat. Compatibility is better and the loading times are shorter. You need a Network Adaptor in order to connect the IDE hard drive into the Expansion Bay.

11. bustacapp

bustacapp Member

Thanks Ace_2! One more question- does it matter what kind of hard drive I use at this point? I can get my hands on a Sony HD (the Final Fantasy XI drive), but is there a specific size/make that I would be better off with?
    I do have a network adapter already, so what else would I need to do in order to 1)get games on the drive, 2)access them through the PS2 ?

Even if you could point me to a FAQ or guide it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks very much for the help.

12. hawkps2

hawkps2 Member

u need hdloader if u have the fat version

hdloader consist all things u need

13. dagonet

dagonet Member

hi is there a way to use an external dvd drive on the usb port. i have a 39001 w/modchip and the lens sucks, so i want to use the external dvd instead an external hdd. i've already tried hdd in the expansion bay with hdloader but because the lens problem i cant copy the games directly nor some of them cant even load. i have a USB DVD burner so what do i need please

14. dazila

dazila Regular member

not possible for ps2 if you have an expansion bay hdd then just replace your laser bout $60au

15. hawkps2

hawkps2 Member

MasterChu

As i said, my PStwo slim v14 is now modded with another chip on it with an IDE out

and a external hdd connected to it,
    working perfect with hdloader that a vendor sold to me.

few questions on it :

I can still use the rename , delete buttons, though I cannot see them in the menu (Vendor has modified the hdloader front loading screen and game list screen, showing his contact info, etc.

How Can I unhide buttons

While I try to install a game,

I select Install from menu, it asks to insert game disc, when i put the game disc and press X, it says its not a playstation 2 format disc.

why so ?

16. duke69111

duke69111 Guest

@ bustacapp,

Check out this website http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=list and look at the middle columns and they will tell you what drives will fit and are working by brand name and model.

17. hawkps2

hawkps2 Member

Hello

Please tell me, How Do i understand the winHIIP window when it shows the hdd details and what actions I can perform from it ?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  18. bobyg26

bobyg26 Member

hey MasterChu

im on mac aswell, and having real problems...... i tested it out by loading one game but yea had real problems;

the usbextreme convert (through vpc) took over 12 hours to convert it.... which cant be good for the origonal dvd.

it loaded ok.... but game runs very slow again, and froze in the starting sequences.

are all games supported by this loader or just a few?

any help would be greatly appriciated

19. bobyg26

bobyg26 Member

is there some kind of drag and drop .iso loader for all of this? or is usbextreme basically the only one?

20. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

I think USBeXtreme is the only loader for playing games off a USB hard drive. I wanted to make a program combining USBeXtreme and HD Loader(patched) to fix up the massive problems with compatibility, but since I have learnt how hard it is to make such a program, and since I'm a noob at programing, it could take several years before I finish the program, currently under the project name "USB Loader".