1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Slimline guide: external USB hard drive & game playing (NO CHIP REQ'D)

Discussion in 'PS2' started by MasterChu, May 30, 2006.

1. emugamer

emugamer Regular member

Just curious as to why the USB method is so popular if almost none of the games are compatible with USB extreme and the load times are slow. Are they really [bold]that[/bold] slow? Compared to the actual game disc? Do only 6% of the ps2 games work using this method? I want to try this method with my slim ps2 (v14) to avoid wearing out my laser, but is it worth it?

My friend has an old fat ps2 but his laser is dead. I probably can't even use a HDD on that since you need to read off a cd (hdloader). Am I correct in assuming this?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  2. itachi64

itachi64 Guest

One question guys, i know this is a little off the subject but do i have to use "ps2_pal2ntsc_yfix.exe" to patch a pal game so it becomes ntsc if i have swap magic 3.8 coder version

3. hawkps2

hawkps2 Member

emugamer

You can put the hdloader boot files on MC

Sorry I forgot, but there is a guide for this exploit to put hdloader boot program on memory card, then it boot from memory card and u dont need to put cd ever

Also v14 PStwo doesn't read up usbadvn.elf sometimes. Happened with me

you may try to get it modded with a IDE port like I did
    and now i use it like a fat ps2 :)

4. emugamer

emugamer Regular member

Thanks hawkps2. Can you pm me and tell me the details of what mod you used for the IDE port? I've read other posts concerning this, but I would feel more comfortable looking into this if someone who actually made it work gave me a little guidance. The IDE mods I've seen are only for Slims up to v13. Thanks again.

eg

5. jerzmob

jerzmob Guest

oh wow so there's a method in using a HDD with your slim ps2. i better start reading the tutorials.

6. itachi64

itachi64 Guest

One question guys, i know this is a little off the subject but do i have to use "ps2_pal2ntsc_yfix.exe" to patch a PAL game so it becomes NTSC if i have swap magic 3.8 coder version!

------------------------------Reminder-------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2006
  7. hawkps2

hawkps2 Member

itachi64

Sorry If I sound rude but I think you don't need to re-ask your question for atleast 1-2 days and wait for the answers.

emugamer

Actually I didnot modded it. I asked the seller about it. and found that they solder a small circuit board on existing board of PSTwo slim.
    , cut a piece out from back of the console and there a small fraction of new small board comes out which has the IDE port fixed on it. I have seen somewhere online that PSTwo has a slot on its board for IDE cable soldering. I guess they soldered the same and use hdloader to detect hdd.
    It just works like older fat model now. and I downloaded new hdloader and now GTA LCS works too, loading time is less than 2 seconds for GTA LCS on hdd :)

I will try to get a picture and put here

Regards

8. emugamer

emugamer Regular member

Thanks hawkps2. I searched all night and could not find anything that resembled what I want to do. Just version 12 and 13. I really want to pay to have it done because I don't have any soldering skills.

If anyone else would pm me with details of their slim ps2 IDE HDD mod, I would appreciate it :)

Thanks again!

eg

9. hawkps2

hawkps2 Member

Hello

Well, sorry But I do not wish to open the console myself.

All I can know is its some kit like hd-combo may be

I will take a picture soon.

10. emugamer

emugamer Regular member

I found some info hawkps2. Found some threads and I'm just going to wait for a while to get my ps2 modded. I may buy my friends fat ps2 with the burnt out laser and get a network adapter fori it. Thanks for your help!

11. hawkps2

hawkps2 Member

Hello man

Glad that I was able to provide some info

By the way, I spend two weeks on searching for hdd on slim

but atlast, i found that it needs soldering ide port on it (it has unsoldered ide pin points on the board and I even found a graphic help to solder it, but as u know, I m not expert in soldering :) )

Anyway, From which country you r from ?
    I am from India

12. emugamer

emugamer Regular member

Yeah, I have no experience in soldering. I don't really care about voiding the ps2 warranty. I use swapmagic now and I had to open it to disable the third sensor. I just don't want to take a chance and destroy something without getting some use out of it. If I can get my friends fat psd working with a HDD and all of my game images, then I may venture into the soldering realm on my new slim. At least I'll still have something to mess around with.

United States - NY

Thanks again!

13. hawkps2

hawkps2 Member

Hello

last night, I opened my console.

But I didnot see a proper kit installed for IDE hdd

it was just an IDe port on a plate fixed and small wires were soldered from it to the board near the lens motor.

They are pretty thin copper wires i think. An expert soldering work.

Will post pictures today though they will not show much detail, but hopefully give some idea that how it worked.

Now I am working on shrinking my games., already patched hdloader to show up my phone number on screen. Happy to know that only i hvae the latest hdloader in the town and can run latest games which dont run on older hdloader, like GTA LCS

14. emugamer

emugamer Regular member

Hey hawkps2,
    Which version of hd loader do you have? I'm going to try it out. I just purchased a 200GB HD (I checked the compatibility chart first) and a network adapter and my friend is bringing over his fat ps2 tonight. The only problem is, his laser is busted. But I read somewhere that with the MC exploit, you don't need to boot with a cd. I have to look into that. I started reading a thread on the topic, but it became confusing. If anything, I can buy a fat ps2 off ebay that works.

Any links or references I should go to to get my HDD working?

Also, what do you mean by shrinking the games? Do you mean rebuilding them from an IML? Because I know every game I have rebuilt, the ISO is about half the size of the original. I was thinking of trying that when I start putting my games on my HDD. I can't remember 100%, but I think a while ago I read that the way ps2 games are made, there are large amounts of empty space on the disc in between actual game data, so a full 4GB game is probably only 2GB worth of data when rebuilt. Am I understanding this correctly? So instead of fitting 10 games on a 60GB drive, you could probably fit 20.....???

eg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2006
  15. hawkps2

hawkps2 Member

Hello EG

Yea you are right on shirnking thing.
    I meant same, however I am unexperienced in it. so not able to achieve it yet, I tried 2-3 times.
    Hopefully I get success soon :)

for hdloader, I patched a clean hdloader.elf 0.8b version with a modified splash screen and modified menu screen.
    It works fine , even with new GTA LCS, while GTA LCS dont work with older versions.

If possible, please send me your e-mail in PM

For HDD, you just need to format it using winhiip I think and use same for games transfer

Regards.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2006
  16. emugamer

emugamer Regular member

Will do. Thanks again!

17. emugamer

emugamer Regular member

Hey hawkps2 - did you ever get my pm?

18. hawkps2

hawkps2 Member

Yes I got buddy

Was just busy and could not arrange time to get online

19. sakiv

sakiv Member

hello hawkps2

I also have slim pstwo v12 NTSC J with matrix infinity chip. I also want to attach hard disk in my pstwo so as increase performance of ps two during gameplay.
    Please post the pics of your hard disk connector. I m also Indian. How much have u pay for this connector and from where in india u got this done.
    If possible can u send me ISO file of hard disk CD.
    Please reply soon.

Thanks

20. jerzmob

jerzmob Guest

any1 here from bridgeport, Connecticut???