1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Slimline guide: external USB hard drive & game playing (NO CHIP REQ'D)

Discussion in 'PS2' started by MasterChu, May 30, 2006.

1. voxaryx

voxaryx Member

Sorry about the double post here, I couldn't figure out how to edit my previous post. Is that even an option?

Anyway, turns out the idea of replacing 'cdrom:0\' with '\' is a wild goose chase. Two things confirm it for me:
    1. It didn't work with Rogue Trooper. I tried simply removing the reference, and then replacing it with '00's in hex (to preserve original file size and memory addresses). Didn't work either way.
    2. Out of curiosity, I looked though the SLUS file for Tomb Raider: Legend, which works just fine though USB Advance (except for the videos, of course). It also happens to have multiple references to 'cdrom:0\', so that can't be what's causing the problem.
    3. The SYSTEM.CNF files for Rogue Trooper, Sly 2, and Tomb Raider: Legend all shart with "boot2=cdrom0:\".

This leads me to believe that USB Advance intercepts and replaces references to cdrom0, just like HD Advance, so something else must be causing the incompatibility.

On a different subject, do you think there might be any way to get videos working properly with USB Advance? I ask because last night I was able to watch AVIs on my PS2, loading directly from the USB HDD. All it had to do was build up a bit of a buffer at the beginning, like when you watch videos on the net. I realize that a solution would probably involve editing the game code itself, which is beyond the means of most of us, but perhaps someone smart out there could cook up a solution.

2. ZaWarudo

ZaWarudo Member

This is exactly where I am, except I'm using a 4th gen 20gig iPod. LaunchELF recognizes the device and even allows me to run programs from it, but USB Advance doesn't recognize it. Are there any alternatives to this program?

3. voxaryx

voxaryx Member

In all the research I've done, the only two programs I could find for running backups from a usb device are USB eXtreme and USB Advance. The latter is a hack of the former, so compatibility issues would logically be identical with both. Sorry, dude, I feel your pain.

4. iamdark

iamdark Member

5. voxaryx

voxaryx Member

iamdark - If you're getting a blank screen, it's because the game you're trying to use is incompatible. It (the game) either needs to be patched, or it just isn't going to work off a usb harddrive. Nobody can give you a copy of USBExtreme or Swap Magic, both of those programs are useless to you if they aren't on a factory-pressed disc. USBAdvance is exactly the same as USBExtreme, compatibility-wise, since there's only one version of each, no patches or updates or anything.

6. iamdark

iamdark Member

voxaryx

thank you 4 the answers .. i'm copying Collin Mcrea 2005 and Davinci Code
    i've using both of my USB Hdd, 80GB each, both were resulted blank with screen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

is there any other way that i can test it out,

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  7. voxaryx

voxaryx Member

As I suspected, both your games are incompatible. Here's the best list I know of, for all games compatible with USBAdvance/Extreme:
    http://jaydium.servehttp.com/usbextreme/gamelist.php

Colin McRae 5/2005 and Da Vinci Code are both listed as not compatible. Sorry.

8. iamdark

iamdark Member

thank you for the link given .. i just found out that it work on my console, last night.. i try copied terminator 3 .. will check some others game ..

thank you all ..

9. Noriko82

Noriko82 Regular member

Okay now i know you guys will get annoyed by my post but can't help it, i am very sorry! :( i am LOST

i am lost with all this exploit sutff, i downloaded hundred of BIN/CUE images, i don't know which one to use and iam lost.

i have a External Case HDD 60GB Maxtor, PS2 (Thick version) V9.
    Action Replay MAX EVO!
    PS2 is MODDED runs backups even DVD 9.

All i wanna do is, Run games from my HDD in PS2. I know how to copy games, I Burned a CD with "USB EXTREME" When i boot the PS2 with USB EXTREME disc while HDD is plugged to usb, it doesn't get deteceted. DOes it has to do something with EXPLOIT and ELF stuff? Please help me!

10. Noriko82

Noriko82 Regular member

Hi peeps, after many hours of experiments i managed to come up to this point!

once i start the PS2 (FAT ONE + MOD CHIP(PAL)) with USB Advance cd in, and HDD Fixed. it detects all the games that are installed in the HDD. but when i press to run them, it HANGS saying "Intialising title etc...."

What can i do? any help?

11. hawkps2

hawkps2 Member

PS2 FAT
    hmm

dont you have the network adapter which can get a hdd attached to it on inner side and slides inside the PS2

that way u can simply use a hdloader disc

12. voxaryx

voxaryx Member

So you didn't, say, read the posts [bold]just prior to your post[/bold] discussing games that hang/compatibility, and the linked list of compatible games?

13. Noriko82

Noriko82 Regular member

Thanks for your response people! :") yes i checked and i tried tomb raider : Legend, Devil May Cry 1, Some more of working (green Indicated) games according to the compatibility list, but no chance, it still hangs in one place.

14. ignite339

ignite339 Member

Everything's great, except I have a question about Swap Magic. 3.6 will work with the Slimline version (v13 I think), correct? Unrelated to the HD guide, is there a kind of Slide Card / Flip Top for the slimline version, or do I not need one?

15. brown_kid

brown_kid Member

masterchu

I have the new Swap Magic Coder v3.8 a slide tool and a PS2 spch-5000N(Fat one). I have been trying to make my backup work for days now but they have all failed. Here are the steps that I follow to load my backup

-format hdd with fat32
    -format it witn win32 utility(also tried without doing this step)
    -Create a SWAPMAGIC folder in the root directory of the USB memory stick
    -Remane the usb advance elf to swapmagic.elf.
    -install the game on the hdd
    -connect the hdd to ps2
    -Load the swap maigc disk

i have tried all these and still my cannot get the USB advance to laod from the memory stick. I have tried to put the elf on my harddrive still no luck.

I created usb advance boot disc and swaped it after loading swapmagic and it worked once and then it stopped working. Even when it worked I could see the games when I load them all I got was a black screen. That was the only time it worked, i have tried countless times after than to make usb advance work from the cd but for some reason it won't work. I have treid to boot from the swapmagic cd and dvd and still nothing.

I have also tried to boot other elf files by remaning them smboot0.elf and so on and still they won't boot from either hdd or the usb stick after loading the swap maigc.

The backup dvd disc that i have created also have the same problem. Some of them say that it is not a valid ps2 disc. I have treid atleast 6 different times and 4 out of 6 gave me a black screen, and the other 2 told me to insert valid ps2 disc. I have used a DVD+R and DVD+RW from fujifilm and none of them work.

I also treid the DNAS fix on some of them and still no luck with the game. The original game works just fine on the ps2, and looks like there is no problem with the laser since all of my games work.

Please help me.......

16. goat82_7

goat82_7 Member

Do you find the usb hard drive to lag. Have you heard any comparison to the internal hard drive?

17. lexb123

lexb123 Member

Worked great. With more reading that is...

This should be updated and stickied.

18. EvilBruno

EvilBruno Member

Getting USBAdvance working is no problem, but getting the games working is hard. Most of them dont work at all. The DNAS-swap-method is not the best solution. I even tried getting many DNAS-files so i could just swap and get it working. But no go. Is there any new way to get more games working off an usb-drive?
    I want to know some more. Does anynone know if it is possible to shrink the video material so it can play more smooth off usb-disk? I remember the days of Dreamcast where some people just shrunk the video stuff to get the games on a common cd.

19. onx

onx Member

Hey guys,
    I wanted to take a crack at this usbextreme compatability problem, so i bought the tools
    purchased a few games to test

Resident evil Outbreak 1 & 2 (DNAS SWAP) ... works
    Resident evil 4 ... works
    RTOTK ... works
    Reign of Fire ....do not work
    Devil may cry ....do not work
    Van Helsing ....do not work

But there was interesting thing I found in all of the games that work, first I loaded the games in ISOBuster to look at what could be causing the load problems(LBA,etc). I then extracted the SLUS*** then open it in hexedit to see anything..unusual, well of course I search for cdrom0 to see how many instances the game would execute this. Some games only a few (1x), some alot(6x). So maybe this isn't the problem. So I then search for usb drivers in the Games [bold]"Modules" [/bold]folder..and BINGO the games that loaded with no problems (even the DNAS Swap) had [bold]USBD.IRX,[/bold] the games that didn't work had no reference to this file, so the problem maybe, games that are coded with usb drivers and ones that are not.But to be sure I will test more games.
    Will post back ASAP

20. gordonie

gordonie Member

Just joined here... have to thank all of you for the big effort in supporting people who (like me!!) have problems and for sharing your experience.

Now, back to businness.... ;)

I have been reading/checking/looking/swearing for the last week or so and my long waited system (ps2 + usb hdd enclosure + sata hd + hdXtreme) has proven to be useless.
    As many of you reported, I get USBXtreme/Advance to load but it can't detect ANY usb device. Now, I followed all the instructions/tutorials I could find and I am quite sure I am not doing anything wrong (format as NTFS, use the usbxtreme tools to re-format and to copy the games, use the usbxtreme to boot OR use swapmagic to run usbadvance from the very same usb drive). All I get is "insert USB device".
    So, at the end, have to consider the fact that my Seagate ST3160023AS + hdd enclosure system is not compatible. What I would like to ask you, is, what of the following changes do you think may solve the problem?

1) get another sata2usb enclosure (weird... I thought that any usb mass storage would provide a universal usb device access...)
    2) keep the same enclosure and bet a new pata hdd

Note... I am leaving out the 3=1+2 solution as it should quite obviously solve the problem but, in that case, I will surely go for the network adapter + pata drive (yeah, I have a FAT ps2... I know I should have gone straight away for this last solution but... well... at the time when i decided to try hdd with ps2 I was young and without experience...)

Thanks a lot to anyone who would take the time to evaluate my problem.