1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Versions And ModChips

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Glitched, Oct 15, 2005.

1. kevcal

kevcal Member

Don't know what that text means, but I would recommend you get a laser fix (comsoft slimfix or whatever) as that text you quoted apparently doesn't mean you're immune to the laser burning out (I asked the same question on ps2-scene and I'm guessing that's why you want to know what it means).

I have the matrix infinity and the comsoft v4 slimfix and the dvd laser diode still died withing a couple of days - could read CDs (real & backups), but not any DVDs. Apparently the slimfix doesn't protect you against this... There is a summone fix that limits the voltage, but that can make your ps2 fussy on what disks it reads - guess you can't have everything(!).

Anyway, fact is that I have the 'wide' (SPU-3170) laser and these are more prone to failing; the slimfix apparently doesn't protect you against this problem though!!

Have found now if I insert a dvd, the comsoft (I guess) shuts down the PS2 immediately; CDs (eg PS1 games) still work - guess this means the slimfix is working..

Solution(apparently) is to swap to the PVR-802 laser assembly...

Time will tell - installing mine tomorrow.. I give the laser a week I reckon - ps2 v12 design seems bad in that they didn't clip the auto gain control to the laser - would have thought Sony would know what they're doing - my 17 quid dvd player doesn't burn its laser out at all!

Kev

2. coffey101

coffey101 Member

appreciate it Kev.

With all the other forum posts about the V12 laserissue, I trust, how unfortunate as it may be, I should get the laserfix. Still wondering what the TMT statement means though. (will google around)

Also thanks for the techinfo on Laser units, might come in handy.

Thanks,

3. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

not sure whats that statement means...but its not to protect v12 with laser issues. Laser fix do not fix v12 ps2 laser from dieing, but it helps it and theres no proof of whats actually causing the issue. (I haven't been researching this V12 problem for a while now so donno if there is a good fix, but i dont think most people have done much with the PS2 anyway.)

4. kevcal

kevcal Member

Well I've been reading loads about the v12 laser issue and as far as I can ascertain (you have to take many people's posts with a pinch of salt as I suspect they could have interests in promoting their own fixes - but that's just my own suspicious nature!). Problem of course is that a few knowledgeable people seem to have slightly different opinions on what is best. :( The other problem I think is that different v12s have slightly different resistor/laser setups; this could explain people's differing opinions.

Note I'm a software engineer, not hardware so don't take my opinions as gospel! But I have no ulterior motive promoting any fix - I just would like the PS2 work for a while without having to mod it or replace the laser; so this is how I see it from the many forum posts I've read:

The main issue appears to be about drawing too much current when reading bad/cheap media - dvd seems more of a problem..

Now you appear to have two options initially - you can either chuck in some resistors to limit the current. Not sure how these are wired into the gain control - have actually read these resistors could end up making other components work harder - but they do mean that bad media can't be read; not a problem as far as I can see if that media ends up killing the laser!

The other problem appears to be something to do with a mechcon and/or dsp crash.. I think(!) this is where the laser is no longer being moved correctly and so it 'ups' the laser current to try to read the disk (doesn't know the crash has occured)?

Now the comsoft slimfix detects this (mechcon/dsp) kind of crash and will auto-shutdown the ps2 if required (if the problem exists between 50 & 200ms, it does a temporary shutdown of the laser and then continues - you won't notice this happening). This should help but doesn't aid the bad-media problems.. Although apparently the slimfix also has diodes on the board - now I don't know if this is anything to do with the 'diode fix' that the matrix infinity guys talk about (limit current to laser) on their site..? Anyone know? Or are they just there for the pic circuitry?

Bottom line so far for me - Matrix Infinity + Comsoft Slimfix + Wide laser = dead dvd diode within days - so not very impressive protection at all! Have been warned that wide laser is awful and prone to failure - hence Sony don't use it any more.

Well, hopefully I've got some points right (maybe not though :)

I have the new laser (not wide) waiting to be fitted and will do that tonight. Will report back with my success/failures with that. Am just going to stick with the current setup - I'm very tempted to do a resistor fix as well though......!

Kev

EDIT:
    Have just fitted new pvr-802 laser assembly in place of SPU-3170(?) laser assembly; worked fine. Easy to fit (3 ribbon cables and 4 screws and had to remove solder blob - static protection), no configuration required.

So far so good - reading dvds fine... don't trust it any more though!
    Will see how things are over the coming weeks.

I wonder if Sony have done such a bad design job on the laser circuitry on purpose? Surely it should be a very standard circuit design?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  5. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

Well, good luck on it. Dont think they did it on purpose, it only happen to the V9/V10 and the some of the first slim V12. The laser burns out even if there is no mod.

6. tsukia

tsukia Member

My slim ps2 is a v12 and the lens fried with an Apple 2x modchip and voltage had already been done. Always used Verbatime 16x dvd-r burning at 8x. New laser lens costed me 75$Can (got it at the beginning of past summer.. what a nightmare it was) and as of 2 days ago, my whole ps2 is now broken ._.;; I can turn on the ps2 but it won't boot anything neither the bios nor a black screen so it's dead.

Just saying I just had such bad luck and experience with v12 slim ps2 and this week I am going to get buy a new one (Recent version thought) with the best modchip available (the one that can support everything so most likely a dms4).

7. kevcal

kevcal Member

My laser is still fine - then again haven't used it much!
    Have problems with some games not recognising input from my sony dualshock2 controller - other games are fine - just Burnout Revenge and Driver Parallel Lines have the problem. But I guess that has no relevance to this thread.

8. jaguarsav

jaguarsav Member

Hi, I just bought a slim ps2 with model 77001 CB. Can anyone tell me what revision this is and what mod chips work with it?
    As far as I can tell, it's one of the newest models of ps2 but I'm not sure if it is a v15 or v16.
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

9. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

10. koolyoe

koolyoe Regular member

Hi I have a Silver Slim PS2 Just got it 2 months ago. I did not even know you could play backed-up games on this lol. I came accross it when i was searching things for my PSP. Anyways I checked that link you provided VCBC and from that I believe I have a v-15. My model is SCPH-77001. So What I am lookin for is somethign cheap that will allow me to play back-up games. etc... I am not an expert on soldering however I have done some soldering be4, and also my dad is good at soldering. So all i really want is something that will let me play backed up games etc.. and that will allow me to play my online games online. ALso i do not have much interest in emulators so i dotn care if the chip will allow me to play them or not.

thanks.

11. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

Well...good ones are Matrix, Crystal Chip, DMS4(no more updates). Solderless chip isnt easy to install. Those chip cost around 50$. Cheaper chips like mobo and H20 are pretty decent clone chips which cost around 20$. I donno if its compabibly to the V15 and i cant check it but that link (because of filters) i had earlier had the compabibly chips listed. These chips are really hard to install but on the slim PS2 are a bit eaiser. Some Mobo chips are good because most of the pins do not need wires and r soldered directly. Swap magic are a disk like a gameshark/cheat device that u just change the disk which is annoying but easy to use.

12. koolyoe

koolyoe Regular member

Alright well it seems i may be getting a Matrix chip. any recomendations for where i should get one? i live in the USA. thanks.

13. mgulya

mgulya Member

was looking to buy an allready moded ps2 and wondering where to look for best price and performance

14. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

This may not be the best price, but i got one of mine modded from Davbere http://web02063.prolocation.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4382 That fourm in DMS is getting alot of spams there though. Also the pricce listed there aren't up to date, some ppl said hes hard to get a hold of, but he does professional installs. There are also places like team modders and NorCal mods (i donno if i spelt those right.) that do excellent work, so your most likely not going to going to send you defective ps2, clone chips that charge u the matrix chip price... bad wiring that dont last long and will work you off.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  15. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

Becareful while looking for one becuase there are fake clone chips that look like the Matrix Infinity, but a little different and bad perfomance...but i dont know where you could find a good store thats in in USA. Places i bough from before was mod-chip.com and divineo.com(china)

16. raintaker

raintaker Member

My in-law gave me a PS2 which he bought off of ebay. He said that the machine has a mod chip but that he never used it and doesn't know anything about it. I was wondering if there was a way I could tell which chip I have so that I can direct the way that I am burning and operating to fit the functionality of the chip. Could anyone tell me how to find out what chip i have inside?

Thanks!

17. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

Can't really tell without opening it.

18. simmo2302

simmo2302 Regular member

g'day

i m not 100% sure if i m writing this in the correct spot, if not i m sorry, plz delete or move.

i recently got a silver slimline ps2, SCPH-77002.

thats v15 i think.
    i have been trying o read as much from your forum as possible, but its a bit confusing.

1. is there anyway to play back-up discs without voiding the warranty? ie swap disc, hdloader, Usbextreme, etc?

(i have tried the so called usbextreme (usbadvance) "cracked copy", burnt the imge to cd - doesnt boot. tried copying and burning the actual files to dvd+r - no boot says plz insert playstation format disc. is it worthwile buying the actual retail dvd?)

2. if not whats better for the v15, matrix modchip or other brand ?

oh and 3. thats this faulty laser problem ? laser coil prone to burning out or sumthing.....

ok well thanks 4 ur help, i'll go bak browsing the the hundreds of posts. (god theres sooo many)

19. PR0BLEMS

PR0BLEMS Regular member

@ simmo

you have a v15

the best way you can play a backup without voiding your warranty is to BUY SWAP MAGIC w/MAGIC KEYS

be sure you are burning dvd games to dvds with dvd decrypter

be sure you are burning cd games to cds with nero

as far as a modchip it will void your warranty, but it is worth it, and a v15 doesnt have the laser problem. DMS4 modchip is compatible

20. simmo2302

simmo2302 Regular member

Excellent, thankyou soo much, ur reply and reading more threads have cleared things up heaps