1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Versions And ModChips

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Glitched, Oct 15, 2005.

1. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

You cant besides taking apart your PS2 take a pict of it and post it here or something like that, or if the chip cant upgrade then it is mostly fake. But if u try to upgrade some fake chip the chip will fry. I havent seen any fake chips yet except Matrix clone chips and some fake chips that look like one of those real Matrix chips and even fake clone Matrix chips.

2. kevcal

kevcal Member

Came across this thread via a search..
    Just an update - wide laser still happy 8 months down the line. :)

3. godowar

godowar Member

I just bought a brand new ps2...the slim one...its silver. the model # on the bottom of it is SCPH-79001 I've been searching and searching on the internet for two weeks trying to read and learn all i can about modding my ps2. I have a lot of games from my old playstation 1 that i want to play on this one but I want to make and play backups of those games so i can keep the originals in a safe spot for collecting. I want them to remain in tact.... anywho....I should have a DMS4 EZI PRO Solderless chip arriving any day now for my ps2...I have found hardly any information on my ps2's model #...i want to make sure that this chip has worked for others and will work for me. Any....any information that anyone has on this topic please reply to this...it is greatly appreciated!

4. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

Donno, where u at USA right since its 79001 instead of 79000... Y did u order the chip already if u don't know if its compatible. I have no clue about this model, try opening up your ps2 and post your motherboard number, it should look like this GH-XXX-XX (X's are numbers)

Another way of modding is the swap magic (PS2) and breaker pro (PS1) disk. However u have to swap the disks each time u play a backup game, so it is a hastle. Also, solderless chips are not easy to install, they are eaiser than regular soldering chips but they are still not easy n can cause a problem, also the solderless chip for the slim ps2 requires a bigger case, which it comes with and i don't know if it will be silver.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  5. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

my bad double post.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  6. godowar

godowar Member

Thanks for replying vcbc, well...as to your question why did i order a chip when i wasnt sure if it would work, well, I have no clue :) i suppose i got excited lol.

I ordered it monday around noon time from www.modwhiz.com I'm about to get back on their site and hopefully, if i cant come to some sort of conclusion as to wether or not it will work, i can send it back.

So tell me this...what should i do to play backups for my new ps2...honestly if the swap disc thing works farely consisttenly i will settle with that route....i have never opened this ps2 as i just bought it like a week ago and i would rather not...ya know. I'm a newb! please forgive my ignorance...i'm reading more and more every day...but for a starter hobbyist...could you possibly point ime in a good direction....should i get a swap disc? if so which one? should i just attempt my solderless mod? I have opened pc's and installed ram, hard drives, modems, etc etc....

..i apologize for the long post.... I live in VA, USA ..

7. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

Solderless Chip
    DMS Technology won't have any more updates, it don't matter too much though. On that site there were four kinds of solderless EZI DMS 4 SE. Two were without cases, two have cases. The Pro version is NOT needed for a slim PS2, but u could have it. (Pro version was for IDE Hard Drive support, since Slims can't have IDE hard drive there is no need for it) The lite version will be fine. The solderless chips are basically just a piece of plastic, with some pins on them n wires that directs to the modchip. The plastic piece is suppose to be pushed on the chip, which the pins on the plastic piece will touch the pins on the chip, those pins could bend or break if u don't push them in right. The case is not needed, except that since the plastic solderless piece is on a chip it will be bulkier n will require a slightly bigger case. I have no idea if the case comes with both the top or bottom piece n what color it will be, so u might end up having a silver top and a black bottom piece. Modchips are great, they are much less hastle once u installed them correctly n successfully. I think the chip will work on all slims, unless sony decide to change some chip inside recently. Modchips will void your warenty since you open the PS2. Most of the time crappy solderless installs don't destroy ps2 though, most it could do is kill a fuse on the PStwo which will require replacing. However if a pin on the solderless modchip plastic clip does break, u will have to buy a replacement clip, or solder that one wire successfully.

Swap Disk
    Breaker Pro is required to play PS1 games using swap disk
    http://www.divineo.cn/cgi-bin/div-cn/ps2-bpu
    Swap Magic is required to play PS2 games
    http://www.divineo.cn/cgi-bin/div-cn/ps2-mk2sm3u
    http://www.divineo.cn/cgi-bin/div-cn/ps2-mkcsmu
    Magic Keys are required to hit a few switches to make the PS2 slim think the lid is closed.
    http://www.divineo.cn/cgi-bin/div-cn/ps2-mks2
    The magic keys comes with the Swap Magic (PS2 version)
    Swap Magic 3+ Coder has cheats built in it.
    Swap Magic are a pain since u have to swap the disks often, also some DVD-9 (biggger dual layer games) do not work propertly, also so does Multiple Disk games may not work propertly, however there are only a few. Youtube some videos on the Slim ps2 to see how the swap works.

Any third party product voids your warenty (i.e. controllers, memorycard) but sony will not know if third product is used on the PS2, thus Swap Magic will not void your warenty, since u do not have to open the ps2. The Magic Keys are also not needed if u want to open the PS2 n tape up a few switches. Copied Swap Disks cannot be played without a legit Swap Disk, so its pointless. There are skins for Disks though to avoid having your disks scratched up, called D-Skins? Disk Skins?

Theres also a way to play backup PS2 games with Action Replay, a USB thumb drive, n a few other things, its on these fourms somewhere.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  8. Deriko

Deriko Member

Are there any updates for the chip DMS3??
    I hav my ps2 for a while now....and i´ve never updated it....Oo

9. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

10. godowar

godowar Member

Good lookin' out vcbc! :) I needed some simple basic info like your last post to point me in a right direction...I've decided to cancel my order (obviously since its illegal here in the US) for the dms4 chip that i ordered...and I"m going to get swap magic and magic keys from amazon...thanks again!

11. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

no prob. also make sure its magic key 3, n not anything else, some are for PS2 phat, n some are for older gen slims, which may not work correctly.

12. Deriko

Deriko Member

Thanks....helped a lot.....^^

13. Deriko

Deriko Member

Thanks....helped a lot.....^^

14. Techmajor

Techmajor Guest

Okay Im new to this whole mod-chip thing. Im just starting to get into the making back-up's. I have checked the swap discs, and the mod-chips read the pro's and con's. I want to go with a Non swap Mod-Chip a soldered one is best for me i think. I have a PS2 Slim SCHP-75001 the only thing is i need help getting the right one. I've seen some for 49-69 bucks, but I have a friend that got one for 20 bucks. That works just fine, but he has a older PS2. So I need to know what will work for me price doesn't matter, but cheaper is better.

15. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

You have version 14 anything that says it will work with v14 will work
    http://www.divineo.cn/cgi-bin/div-cn/search.html
    Good ones like DMS, Matrix, Crystal cost bout 50$ but they have higher compabiblity rates of booting up a game, instead of sometimes doesn't work without a reset. Also modchips are a pain to isntall

16. Techmajor

Techmajor Guest

For: vcbc

I see some mods on there for 10-20 bucks whats the difference on those compared to the 50 dollar one's. I know someone that got one for that price, and works just fine for him. Could those do the same for me. It says it fits my version of PS2. Oh I'm an engineering major so I have done some work with soldering on boards. So I should be fine with the install, but thanks for the head up.

17. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

Theres not much differences, there would used to be more support on the 50$ ones, but ps2 got old. The cheap ones might not work as well, but i donno. The Mobo team, Mobo modchip and most of the other ones are a clone on the Matrix chip, they work exactly like a matrix chip except they can't upgrade, but since PS2 is now consider old, most support is gone, even these PS2 modding fourms. Not sure whats a good site to buy these chips from either, I bought stuff before from mod-chip.com (don't have PS2 mods anymore) n i bought some accessory from divineo which don't have much ps2 chip selection anymmore. If your friend had a good chip, try getting that chip. Also it also depends on your install, if your install is crappy it may work but may have some problems with sometimes working. THe PS2 Mobo is like coated with a clear liquid which helps prevented being soldered on, so grab some flux, desoldering tool, n maybe something to scrape the pads.

Mobo had good chips
    Subzero (H2O+ Mod) made a decent laser fix chip for older ps2 slims not sure bought chip
    DMS4 SE Pro are good chips for IDE Hard drive support, but slims don't have IDE hdd connections
    Matrix chips are a good quality chip and used to have ton of updates, not sure anymore
    DuoMod (Duo 3 Ultra) made decent chips for gamecube, not sure bout PS2

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  18. Techmajor

Techmajor Guest

For vcbc

Thanks for the help you really helped out. I guess it's just up to me now. Plus if I mess up PS2 I can always get another. I see them for like 60 Bucks now. I appreciate your help once again.

19. arlanrd

arlanrd Member

For vcbc:

Wow you seem to know your stuff. Ive been readding a round but im still stuck. Im thinking about taking back my new ps2 scph-79001 and buying a premodded one from http://www.modwhiz.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16225 . Are they trust-worthy? What chip should I have them put in Matrix Infinity or the DMS 4 PRO? I would also like to add a exterianal hard drive some time. Or do you think I could add one my self. I've built to desks tops already.I think my kids will destory all of concle and games becouse they have in the past.

20. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

modwhiz...donno
    check resellerrating n see if they have a rating...prob not...
    get Matrix, dms4 pro is useless for new slime, IDE harddrives doesn't work on newer slims. IDE hdd work with older slim, with laser burning out issues, but require adding a adapter. You can get USB hdd but they suck n are as slow as a regular disk speed. also has bad compaility. Matrix chip works with IDE too, using softwares on a seperate disk, but just doesnt come with it built in to the Chips, but it is useless n u do not need it for the slim.