1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 & Xbox Backup Tutorials & Information

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Oner, Dec 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zrazy_dre

Zrazy_dre Guest

I did a backup today of the swap magic 2.0 version cd it worked fine but i am unable to backup the swap magic dvd version any ideas anyone.

2. jemm772

jemm772 Member

Question. Do you guys think is best and with less stress. The messiah chip for fifty buck or the MAGIC 3.1 MODCHIP for $29. Considering the intstallion And Performance too. thanx guys.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2003
  3. BernWern

BernWern Guest

Zrazy-dre:
    First off, what app did u use to back-up the cd version?
    Second off, what apps have you tried to pull an image of the dvd disc? Have you tried Alcohol 120 with it set to ps2 input/output? please elaborate.

4. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Zrazy_dre : You might have backed up the CD version of SM but you will not get it to boot a backup.

BernWern : We at aD appreciate you following the forum rules and accepting your mistake, it is for the best for aD as it can be shut down if it condones illegal downloads. As for your question about SM, they are pressed discs that has the info needed to boot physically inserted into the plastic in an area not readable by a disc drive.

Maybe one day it might be "cracked" but I highly doubt it. I've always wondered why some crew hasn't somehow extracted the data needed by butchering a drive to read in some way, then just inputing the info onto another media._X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]Please use the Search function http://forums.afterdawn.com/search/ before posting or refer to my Tutorial http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/15105[/bold][/small]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2003
  5. jemm772

jemm772 Member

Hay oner can you help me? With my Question.

6. Oner

jemm772 : I don't know of any sites for the price you are looking for. As for the better chip...I have a Messiah 2 Pro and it works perfect, if your tight on money the Magic will work but expect certain games to give you problems.

7. jemm772

jemm772 Member

One more question. Was the chip hard to install. Cause I'm new to this.

8. Oner

I didn't install the chip, it is not an easy task and I didn't feel I could handle it. Since your new I don't think you should take up the task of doing it yourself

9. BernWern

BernWern Guest

Oner:
    Thanks for the reply and the info. I would like you to clarify your answer a bit further if possible. From my understanding of your answer, it appears that PS2 and SM discs may be using the BCA (Burst Cutting Area) of the dvd/cd disc to identify themselves correctly to the PS2. The BCA is a small area inside tha actual data area of each disc- typical dvd movies have info here as well such as the name of the movie/studio/etc, but the dvd palyes are not designed to read such data; this technology was origanally pioneered by the divx medium. Basically, if I am understand you correctly, a PS2 can read the BCA and that is how it recognizes correct formats- that is precisly why a working copy of SM discs cannot be created.

I inspected the BCA of several of my PS2 games, and this "theory" of mine seems to validate itself. Please clarify for me if at all possible.

Thanks,
    BernWern

10. Oner

For that you would need to someone else more technical. This is just from what I have learned over the net over the years, I am sure if you placed your question in it's own thread you would get much more information and replies.

11. NightPs2

NightPs2 Member

What does the DMS3 2.0 has over the Messiah Pro 2.0?

I want the best.. but DMS3's price is almost double the Messiah one, so i doubt if it's really worth spending so much more.

Any tips? I'll install it myselft.

12. PS2Life32

PS2Life32 Guest

The DMS3 is more reliable from what I have read from people that have them. But I would never install a chip like Messiah or DMS3 myself. They are very complicated and you can very easily fry your board if you don't know what your doing.

13. jemm772

jemm772 Member

So How would I get the chip Installed USA.

14. PS2Life32

PS2Life32 Guest

15. NightPs2

NightPs2 Member

Well, my mom, she's solding everyday at work. I think she's capable of installing them. It's only 24 wires. She can do much more than only that. And she has all the equipment at her work. It's a factory!!

So the Messiah is 'less' reliable?

16. jemm772

jemm772 Member

Ok now I'm getting mix messages. I get someone to tell me who resides in the usa. Each would be the best chip for me. I don't need it to play dvds.
    just all my back up games that's it.

17. Oner

Some of your games *might* have to be done in DVDR format (if you don't have a DVD burner now you might get one in the future). If you want to see what is best for you go to the first page of this thread and look at my chart. Price starts from $30+ for Magic to $90+ for DMS3 with Messiah somewhere in the middle to higher range.

18. jemm772

jemm772 Member

So basically If I burn all my games on my dvd burner i should be ok? Thanx
    P.s. I decided to get the messieh pro chip.

19. Oner

Last edited: Sep 10, 2003
  20. coolpcguy

coolpcguy Member

Help!!!!

I have made one of those slide cards and am using it according to the instructions on the first page.
    i.e. PS1 games use AR cd2, and ps2 cd/dvd use cd01

ok, I have got PS1 backups to work perfectly
    But the problem is with PS2 games

I have tried a 1:1 copy of SSX Tricky but wouldnt work and gta vice dvd-r wont work either...if i wait until it says updating cheat codes on dvd it goes to insert ps2 format disc and if I load it without creating a new empty cheat code (swap ar2 for gta vice on change cd screen) then it still will not boot...the dvdr spins but hangs on the press x to start screen...Also on gta vice dvd it sometimes just hung on the update code list

I burned my ssx cd 1:1 on the fly,
    I burned gta vice by making an image and then burning

I have a SCPH39003 uk pal
    Action Replay 2 V2 (AR2V2)

I would appreciate sime help please ???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.