1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 & Xbox Backup Tutorials & Information

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Oner, Dec 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

jemm772 :

A write error can be a few different things like

1. Too many programs running in the background of Windows

2. Not enough ram

3. Reader and Writer on same IDE cable

4. Old version of burning software

There are a few of the more common problems that should help you out. Unless the scratches are more severe than what you might see._X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]Please use the Search function http://forums.afterdawn.com/search/ before posting or refer to my Tutorial http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/15105[/bold][/small]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2003
  2. JamSoup

JamSoup Guest

Ok, I'm using an Xploder cheat disc v1.0 with the slide card method.

I direct copied Frequency PAL (499mb) to an unbranded CDR, inserted the Xploder CD in the ps2, pressed Start, then slide the card across, swapped the CDs,shut the cd drive, side the slide card back across and removed it. I press X, and after abut 30 or so seconds of blank screen, I get the red screen with "Please insert a Playstation or Playstation 2 format disc" written on it...

The CDR's work with my PSOne if that helps...

3. Oner

It is probably the Xploder (I don't have any experience with it so I could be off on that).

4. stupidguy

stupidguy Guest

xploder doesnt stop spinning

5. JamSoup

JamSoup Guest

Nope... tried it with my friend's AR2v2.... still get that red screen...

PS1 backups (same cdr's) will boot with the AR2 psx disc though, so maybe it's my frequency copy?

6. coolpcguy

coolpcguy Member

I could play ps1 backups in ar2 cd2, but coulnt play ps2 backups, cd or dvd...using ar2, but I baught Swap Magic 2 and it works ok now, swap magic is only £30 and is worth it

7. edgy

edgy Member

I want to make backups for my ps2 games. The problem is that most of my games are dvd roms and i only have a cd burner and a dvd rom. (i have a chip) Is there any way that i can back up my games, can somone explain all this to me?

thanx in advance :)

*Edited for content that might lead to piracy information. You should get info on on how to ripp your DVD's down to CDR now*

Last edited: Sep 25, 2003
  8. bgbop15

bgbop15 Member

Neokey user here, ps2 cdr's work fine, DVD+R movies work fine, will DVD+R backup games wor at all? with gs2? Thanks!

9. abing

abing Member

What title of ps2 game that has larger than 4.7GB?? Does anybody have a list?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2003
  10. ReeSi

ReeSi Guest

hey does the AR2 come with gameshark 2.0? can gs2.0 boot psone backups? please some help

11. coolpcguy

coolpcguy Member

*sigh*

QUOTE::

Oner

20 Sep 2003 11:38 AM Please do some research, because all of your questions have been answered (most of them right in this tutorial thread but on the first page). As for the best chip or booting process, that depends on how much money you have to spend. Search for DMS3, Messiah 2 Pro or M2Pro, Magic, Swap Magic Discs, Flip Top and Slide or Swipe Card. There are many threads with the info you are looking for and the examples I said are the ones to look for. I even provided a little chart of the chips on the very first page here.

12. ReeSi

ReeSi Guest

so it looks like i cant boot ps1 backups without some sort of mod to my system? i was planning on getting gs 2.0

13. vikman220

vikman220 Member

Has anyone come up with a file to put on a backed up game that will boot the game on PS2's without a modchip. The modchip just boots the game right. Wouldn't a file on the original game do the same thing?

14. theoggys

theoggys Member

Oner,

I followed the method you outlined at the start of this thread to try and burn Wolfenstein and also Timesplitters and I'm still not having any joy. I have got a DVD+/- burner and using Nero 6. I have a Modchip in my PS2 (Don't know which type though, got it years ago, and all I have to do to load a PS2 game copy is push the reset button twice and it automatically loads) and still won't load the copy. I used a DVD-R for Wolfenstein and a CD-R for Timesplitters. Neither of them worked.

Any chance you could help out with a few suggestions.

Thanking you in advance,

Cheers

15. Oner

The main thing is you need to find out what chip you have, (maybe a member can help here) then the boot process can be figured out. Post this in the main area to get more responses.

16. Gsus

Gsus Guest

17. BernWern

BernWern Guest

VikMan220:

Good question. Here is your answer: it is NOT possible. Here is why: PS2 games are actually pressed DVD/CD discs, they are not burned. Sony had the foresight to "avoid" copied games by employing technology pioneered by the DivX format discs that are now extinct. PS2 games use the Burst Cutting Area (BCA) of the disc to identify themselves to the PS2 unit. The BCA is not part of a disc that you can burn on, it is only replicated on pressed discs. So, the only way to play backups is to get boot-discs or a mod-chip.

Peace,
    BernWern

18. vikman220

vikman220 Member

Thanks for your help, I didnt know that. Much appreciated.

19. theoggys

theoggys Member

Thanks Oner. I'll post another message when I work out which chip I have got.

Cheers

20. jei1059

jei1059 Guest

I can't get my backups to load correctly. Im burning on Memorex DVD+r and I have a no solder mod chip v/5. I followed Oner's guide properly down to the T and all I keep getting
    after Swapping the Magic DVD disc and loading the backup is red screen. Can someone please help Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.