1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 blu-ray drive dead

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by PsiLizard, Jun 12, 2008.

1. dustysum8

dustysum8 Member

thanks for the help pslizard

2. jmmyjhook

jmmyjhook Member

Hi everyone, having the same probable motor problem as you psilizard, got the ps3 apart and the drive out, how do I crack into the silver metal casing to get a look at the guts of the drive? Any help greatly appreciated! thanks!

3. PsiLizard

PsiLizard Member

There's some real good youtube video guides on it, just search something like ps3 blu-ray disassembly, and you should get a good guide on how to crack that drive open.

4. spence510

spence510 Guest

5. spence510

spence510 Guest

to PsiLizard

after slaving over the net trying to figure out why my 40 gb ps3's drive died out of nowhere, you seem to be the only one who may have the answer to my question: Why is this happening? So far I called Sony and even though it's all over the net blog's/ forums they say it's not happening to many. Either way they are sending my little brother and I a pre-paid box to send them our ps3 so we can get back a refurb that could be god knows how old, and ours is only 2 months old so yeah I'm kind of undecided as to what to do here. Do I break that seal that breaks my warranty and try to replace a motor that I can't identify or do i wait the 2-3 weeks for Sony to send me a refurb. I tell you what though if it's as easy as you make it sound you could onto something if this becomes a major issue with these things, anyway thank's for shedding some light. please tell me if you have a 40gb hd.... I read an article says they were less ventilated w/ cheaper parts to compete with M$'s console. ty

6. jmmyjhook

jmmyjhook Member

Thanks psilizard for the reply,

you were right, opened it up, and a little piece fell out. I was hoping it was the magnet, it wasn't. A piece of something, looks broken off from the laser mechanism. Soooo, psxboy.com is the place to go huh? By the way, thanks for that info too! I may bend everyone's ear upon the time I venture into re-assembly. Thanks again!

7. atrac88

atrac88 Member

I'm curious....how much was shipping and how long did it take to arrive from Hong Kong?

Thanks!

8. rwoo1

rwoo1 Member

9. rwoo1

rwoo1 Member

10. rwoo1

rwoo1 Member

PS3 60g
    PS3 will not recognize any blu ray media. Works fine with regular dvd, cd's & PS2 games. Replaced laser thinking that would be the problem but no luck still will not recognize blu ray media; games & dvd's. What could be the problem. Do not want to send back to Sony, I want to fix myself. Any suggestions?

11. Lungberg

Lungberg Member

Hi,

Help please. my PS3 just got 80010514 error also when I play MGS4.
    Now the problem is it can read only DVD and CD but not BluRay or sometimes it can read BluRay but just like 5 mins. then it stop reading disc.

Now the questions,

Is it 100% confirmed that the problem caused by the Blu Ray drive? Not because bad HDD (I came up with this idea because Blu Ray game and movie normally accessing the HDD)?
    Also, the above poster seems failed to fix his/her problem by replacing this laser kit...

So, what’s the difference between KES and KEM?
    AAA and ACA?
    Which one is better? Is it compatible each other?

Is there any calibration needed like those good old PS and PS2 drive?

Thanks!

12. Lungberg

Lungberg Member

@ rwoo1

Maybe the HDD as I mention on my post above?
    I have no chance to swap the HDD since I don't have it.
    If you can, please try to swap the HDD with the new one and let me know the result?
    Or maybe you're getting refurbished laser drive? Where did you buy it?

13. rwoo1

rwoo1 Member

I do not believe it's the HDD. I did a complete reformat of the HDD just in case which felt would be a waste of time and was. I purchased the game PAIN from the Sony store which is stored on the HDD and it works fine. Everything works except blu ray dvd's and games. I can go on internet and download. I just updated to the lastest version of PS3 firmware(2.41). I can play regular DVD's, CD's and PS2 games without any problems. I know the easy way would be to return to Sony but i rather fix myself and pass the info on to others. I'm tired of reading forums that say return to Sony, return to Sony, that's not the point. The point is to understand what is wrong and fix it yourself. I purchased the laser with rails (KES-400AAA) from MCM electronics. I highly doubt the laser is bad. They had it in stock and I have ordered other parts from them in the past. I feel comfortable ordering from them and believe you are getting an oem part as opposed to other internet vendors. They have fast serivce and you can track your order, first class operation. You can very well get an OEM laser from other vendors but you just dont know and have to take their word on it, just as MCM. It's a shame Sony won't sell any PS3 parts from their online parts store; servicesales.sel.sony.com. I recently found a response that the blu ray drive board for the the KES-400AAA is the problem, more specifically it's the chip that controls the dvd/cd drive(ic Bd7956fs). This sort of makes sense since this is the only other electronic piece inside the dvd/cd drive and everything else works on my PS3. Does anyone know how to test if the chip is bad on the drive board? You can buy just the chip or the complete board. The complete board would be alot easier to replace plus its only $10 more then the chip. Any thoughts?

14. Lungberg

Lungberg Member

I think the driver IC is used to generate PWM signal to spin the motor.
    Please check below link,

http://progamer.cc/blog/ps3-laser-kem-400a/how-to-replace-a-ps3-bluray-lens-guide.html/#comment-5719

I posted my questions also there.

In the latest post he/she said that if the problem started with BluRay, it's the laser.
    At first, this sounds stupid because if it's the laser, why it's still reading DVD and CD? Actually, it makes sense since the laser is different. CD and DVD uses red laser and BluRay uses blue laser.

I have an idea, to open the laser KES 400AAA, the metal part that is, to reveal the reflective lens.
    It might have some burn mark in there. This is happened because of humid air and high voltage low current which convert O2 to CO2 and leaves stain in the lenses.
    This is similar to what happened to old CRT TV, you can see black stain everywhere near the cathode yoke.

Unfortunately I have no time to try this. I'll update as soon as possible after I did that.

15. Lungberg

Lungberg Member

Well, nothing wrong with the refelection and focus lens.
    I really wondering what is deffective from my 3 months laser.
    But I doubt it's the driver IC, and if it is, then the disc won't spin.

16. splat58

splat58 Member

Hello, after reading all the great tips and advice on how to repair the blu ray i was wondering, can the PS3 read and play games if the blu ray does not work? if so does it affect the quality, graphics, etc?

17. swolfe

swolfe Member

My gosh, there's a whole group of people that have the same problems that I do! You DO exist!!

That's it, I have had it with Sony. The PS1 still works, my first PS2 died (gave me DREs - disk read errors) and so I bought another PS2 and now 13 1/2 months into my PS3 and the freakin' blu-ray drive dies.

Sony's products and "customer service" are no longer worth the expense and headache.

Sony will fix it for $149, it'll take 3-4 weeks and we'll send you a box and instructions on how to pack it... just give us your credit card information and we'll send you the box.

Wait, did you just say, "Give us your credit card information and we'll send you a BOX?!?!" and take your PS3, send it back in a while, hopefully it'll work well and then how long will it last!?

Just as someone else already previously said, I'm not shelling out $150 every year to keep my PS3 up and running. I'll open it up, check it out and possibly see about getting one of those puppies for $50 if the magnet thingy didn't fall out and after I read all these awesome posts!!!

If that doesn't work I'll go buy a different console... and from now on they'll be no more Sony anything for me. It won't take much "not buying" from Sony to make up for a couple hundred bucks and hours of hell. I can guarantee that I'll buy much more than that from someone else. Time for me to redirect Sony's profits.

Thanks everyone for your smarts and insight. I look forward to fixing it myself and giving Sony the finger once and for all - either way they get that finger ;-).

Wolfe

18. PsiLizard

PsiLizard Member

Hey all, sorry for the late replies to everyone, I've been on vacation.

spence510: Ya, mine's a 40 gb, personally, I'd probably let Sony take care of it for you. The job is pretty easy, ya, but I'd prefer to get something fixed/replaced for free rather than to spend money and do it yourself. Plus if you have luck like mine, things may get worse before they get better in a DIY job. Of course, I do understand feeling the need to fix it yourself, Just don’t say I didn’t warn you :p.

atrac88: I was in a hurry, I spend the extra for EMS shipping, it was somewhere around $20 came in after about a week, I think it was only 3 of 4 bucks for standard shipping (probably 2 to 3 weeks based on my experience ordering stuff from China.)

Lungberg: The difference is KES: just the laser unit, KEM: whole unit (rails, motors, and laser unit.) AAA and ACA are different types of drives, in the AAA, the blu and red lasers come from a single lens, in the ACA, there are 2 separate lens, one for the blu-ray, and another for red laser. No, they're not cross-compatible. Also, there shouldn't need to be any calibration involved as long as everything is screwed into place properly.

rwoo1: I agree that this it probably a controller board issue. I also agree with Lungberg, in the fact that if it was the controller IC, you would probably not get any life from the drive no matter the type of disk. Gotta be something else on the controller board… As I believe I've stated in a previous post, I have read from one source that it is possible to replace the controller board, permitting it's the same revision as the original board. In theory, I believe if you can't get the replacement board to work out of the box, you may be able to desolder and swap the nand flash that holds the drive's firmware. Things look a little grim, I wish you the best of luck with this one.

splat58: if the blu-ray is dead, you can't play any blu-ray media, so no PS3 games, and no blu-ray DVDs at all.

Swolfe: Ya, I had those damn DREs on my first PS2 as well, and I did a load of work trying to revive a VAIO laptop that I had as well. Don’t even get me started on the “quality” of Sony products. I swore I wouldn’t buy any more stuff from them, but it seems I’m a glutton for punishment, as I got this PS3, and another product from them as well. The only way to ward off these broken Sony blues is to fix it yourself, quick easy, and cheap, and then laugh in their faces. We’re here for you.

19. vekst0r

vekst0r Member

So if I know that my diode isn't emitting light, would it be a safe bet to only purchase and replace the laser diode? I see no reason to replace the entire laser assembly otherwise, and the diode replacement would be more fun.

Do you know where to purchase the kem-400a laser diode? I've got the 410 here: http://www.psxboy.com/catalog_68.html, although I've spent little time searching thus far.

20. atrac88

atrac88 Member

I have replaced two drives now that would not spin. If you ask me, the tiny motors are going bad.

I think this is a widespread problem that Sony needs to address. And they need to stop asking for a F'ing receipt. It the unit is less than a year old based on the manufacture date (Month/Year) listed on the unit, they should repair it for free, regardless of where you bought it from or if you lost your receipt!

On a sidenote, I ordered a replacement mechanism from psxboy and they are fast and it worked fine! Replacing the mechanism was a little more of a pain than I thought it would be...those tiny ribbons wrap around the inside of the case so you have to take it apart more than just removing the top cover and the 4 screws on the actual mechanism. :(