1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 blu-ray drive dead

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by PsiLizard, Jun 12, 2008.

1. vekst0r

vekst0r Member

According to progamer.cc's blog, people have successfully replaced non-spinning drives with simply the lens. They use "lens" interchangeably for both the diode and the lens assembly it seems, which bugs me, but the point is that they did not need to install a new motor.
    source: http://progamer.cc/blog/ps3-laser-kem-400a/how-to-replace-a-ps3-bluray-lens-guide.html/

This implies that your game disc is not spinning because the laser is not emitting light to reflect back. Therefore, the assembly cannot detect the disc, and doesn't even bother to begin to spin.

2. rwoo1

rwoo1 Member

PsiLizard:

Thanks for the update. I just have a hard time believing that you can not just replace the whole board unless it it is tied to the same revision as the original board. Isn't the firmware for the controller board stored on the motherboard and not the controller board? Isn't the drive a blu-ray ROM, as in say a PC, where you can just swap out the drive and replace it with another and why would a comapny sell a replacement board(http://www.consoleshop.com/product.php?productid=20822) if this wasn't the case? I would think it would not be in their best interest to sell a part they knowingly would not work. They are not the only company selling these boards. It looks like it's an easy swap. Has anyone replaced just a board?

3. Symbiox

Symbiox Member

Hi folks,

I dug up this thread last night after my 2yr old ejected a disc on my ps3 the forced it back in immediately. The drive will now not accept discs properly, that is it will take it halfway then struggle, then "steal" the rest but makes a horrible clicking noise. I have retrieved the disc using the wife's tweezers but there was a "rubbing" mark left on it. Of course, Sony weren't interested in helping me without the $150 so I disassembled it myself and from what I can gather the drive is in it's unejected state as trying to insert a disc (power off) makes it bump into the motor that makes the disc spin.

Am I right in assuming this motor lowers on insertion of a disc then raises to spin the disc? If I am right, is there a way of resetting it physically to an ejected state so I might be able to use it again? I reassembled the ps3 and it works as before, won't take a disc fully then takes it and clicks, more rubbing marks as it seeming forces the disc over the spinner. Eject doesn't work, just makes the clicking. Any advice?

4. vekst0r

vekst0r Member

LOADING PROBLEMS - drive will not eject/accept discs

Symbiox: I'm not very active online, so I threw this together because I've had and seen a few people with this problem. It's long, tedious, and quite elementary, but I hope that it will save hundreds of man-hours of headaches:

http://www.wikihow.com/Realign-Your-Ps3's-Bluray-So-That-a-Disc-Can-Load-and-Eject

Haha, apparently wikihow believes that "how to make money in runescape" is worthy of being called a its own category of articles. I also might have to rename the article if it is too difficult to search for.

5. PsiLizard

PsiLizard Member

vekst0r: The diodes look to be a new addition to the site, they weren't there when I bought my laser assembly. I can't find just the diode with a quick search, you may have to get the whole lens. Plus it's annoying replacing the diode in the lens with that white epoxy that you have to remove.

rwoo1: I'm not sure, previously it was believed that the ps3 drive controller boards were keyed to the motherboard, much like the 360. I've only seen the one forum post that claims they aren't keyed. I can tell you I have read about a lot of people attempting replacement of the drive controller board, and the system no longer detecting the drive at all. On any drive, including PC optical drives, the firmware stored on the drive controller board itself. If you do buy one of those controller boards, I'd definitely like to know how it turns out for you.

6. Surfaced

Surfaced Member

http://vimeo.com/1435093

So I've got a 40GB with the KES-400A. The video included details my problems.

Earlier someone said that when the PS3 boots, the lens will emit a light. Mine does not seem to do this.

Also, as shown in the video, the KES-400A will move along the spindle like it should. If the magnet enclosed in that white disc is not present while the system boots, the black circle that holds the disc spins very fast. So I know the console can spin discs.

But I also remember someone said that the PS3 will begin to spin a disc after the lens emits a light and has that light return to it by reflection. If this is true, then I believe my problem is that my KES-400A does not function; it will not emit any light and therefore, the drive will not spin any discs.

I need some opinions. Do you think the problem is the KES-400A alone, or something else?

it's a miracle I found this place. Every other forum quickly dismissed my problem with "call sony" over and over, it gets incredibly annoying. I refuse to surrender $150 for something that shouldn't have malfunctioned in the first place.

Thank you kindly

7. atrac88

atrac88 Member

I definitely can't argue with that! I'm a believer now. Sony isn't putting out units with bad motors...they're putting out units with bad lasers! ;)

8. Symbiox

Symbiox Member

Well it appears I've done something awful during my disassembly/reassembly process. Although the ps3 will boot up as normal and displays the demos I've downloaded from PSN, choosing to play anything results in nothing but a black screen and having to reboot. I have trailer videos saved on the HDD and I can view those fine, but no games... help!

9. Surfaced

Surfaced Member

Hi, Symbiox. I had this problem too when I tried to use my PS3 without the Blu-ray drive. In order to play any games, your PS3 needs the controller board, which is attached to the bottom of the Blu-ray drive. If you have this attached but its still not playing anything, there may be a problem with it. Check the ribbon connections.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  10. Symbiox

Symbiox Member

That sounds likely, I was really unhappy with those ribbons when I saw them, give me an old fashioned plug and socket any day, those looked so flimsy and I was puzzled at how any contact was actually being made in that setup, I guess I didn't connect them back up properly.

11. swolfe

swolfe Member

The KEM400AAA arrived today from PSXFanBoy and I think I'm starting to tear up! *sniff* The top was cut through the DHL tape on both ends of the top box flaps - probably customs... idk, but I hope there was enough packing around the rest of it (I worked at UPS for a while and I know packages don't get treated too nicely)

BTW - PSXFanBoy was very good - quick, responsive, etc.

I will let you all know how surgery goes. I know you've all been waiting ;-)

Wolfe

12. swolfe

swolfe Member

And... It works!!! OMG I am so happy - I started up a movie and a game and BINGO! Sony got no money and I am rockin' and rollin'! Woo-hoo!!!!!

Thanks everyone and let me know if you need help opening that PS3... awww yeahhh.

Peace Out!

Wolfe

13. Surfaced

Surfaced Member

No, it can only play games that are stored on the hard drive. But even for this, you will need the controller board which is attached to the bottom of the blu-ray drive.

Shouldn't be any difference in graphics quality.

14. Surfaced

Surfaced Member

Awesome! Im going to go ahead and order mine. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

15. atrac88

atrac88 Member

Has anyone had any trouble yet with the assembly replacements from psxboy? The first one I have installed in the drive has already failed! It worked fine at first, then it would stop reading and the screen would go black. Now it doesn't read at all. So all-in-all it lasted about two days! :(

Yep, this sucks! I don't even know their return policy.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  16. PsiLizard

PsiLizard Member

Awesome Wolfe, great to hear another success story.

atrac88: Mine's still working great, sorry to hear that yours is having trouble again, psxboy has a 1 month warranty on all laser lens according to thier FAQ. You pay shipping back to them, and they send replacement as soon as they get the defective part back.

17. jester24

jester24 Member

PsiLizard,

I have had trouble with my PS3 since updating to 2.41 firmware. It would not read any Blu-Ray discs, and I would see the icon in the upper right corner spinning, but no disc loads. I tried a DVD but had the same result. Upon trying many more Blu-Ray's and DVD's nothing worked. Powered off over and over, etc etc. I then tried a music CD and much to my surprise, it worked. The music played perfectly fine, and it seemed great. So, I put a blu-ray game back in the drive, and IT WORKED. The disc loaded up (it was Rockband to be exact) and I thought everything was back to normal. I turned it off. Came back to play a few hours later, and it still loaded the disc fine (seemingly). When I clicked on the game from the XMB to load it up, the screen went back, and that's all that happened. I could press the PS button to bring up the XMB. I waited and waited and nothing happened, so I clicked on Quit Game, and the screen was black again. I was forced to do a hard power off. I left it that way for a while, and when I came back, the discs weren't being read again.

Here is where my problem gets a little strange. The PS3 will not play any discs properly aside from music CDs. After putting a music CD in, I can put any other type of disc in, and it will read it, but ONLY after putting a music CD in. It reads it, but really doesn't do much beyond that.

I took the PS3 apart after reading a lot of forums and watching some videos. I really screwed up the blu-ray drive when I left a disc in it during disassembly. THANKFULLY, someone else on here did that and PsiLizards solution worked like a charm. I cleaned the lens with some lens cleaner solution I bought, and a Q-tip, but this didn't make any difference.

When I put blu-ray discs in, with the system apart (so I can see the discs), they do start to spin. However, it's almost as if they can't get really going. They start to spin up fast, but then stutter a bit, then try to start up again really fast, but stutter. Eventually they will just stop spinning, and no disc shows up.

Basically, PsiLizard, my explanation was complex, but my question is simple: Do you think I just simply need a new laser mechanism (KEM-400AAA)? This is my guess, but really, people that post on forums are always so vague and leave no detail to their problems. This leaves me wondering if I am exactly duplicating someone else's issues, or is this is entirely different.

If it isn't the laser mechanism, I guess the other thing it could be is the blu-ray drive's board? I am hoping it isn't because from what I have read, that isn't something I want to have to mess with.

Whatever it may be, can you please post a link to where I can get the part? I really like the prices on psxboy (the place PsiLizard suggested) but they are out of stock. If anyone knows of a place that isn't literally raping people by charging triple the price, AND has them in stock, I would really appreciate a link.

18. PsiLizard

PsiLizard Member

I just checked on psxboy, the laser lens (KES-400A) are sold out, but the full unit (KEM-400AAA) is still in stock. That is a wierd issue, I think my first instinct would be to suspect the laser. Go with the KEM-400AAA and give that a try, let us know how it works out.

19. jester24

jester24 Member

Uggghhh!!!!

Yesterday psxboy.com was out of stock of KEM-400AAA, so I bought it from someone else for $80. Oh well, it's too late now. The other site (richspsxparts.com) shipped already and it will be here Monday. Shipped same day I bought it, great service so far. I will come back and update on Monday once I get it installed, and let everyone know if this solved my problem.

20. mutabilis

mutabilis Member

I have read the entire forum in search for two answers.
    - I wish to know if the lens change will fix error 80010514?
    - What type of lens would my machine use if it is a PS3 40GB manufactured in Sept. 2007?