1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 blu-ray drive dead

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by PsiLizard, Jun 12, 2008.

1. pmrs88

pmrs88 Member

Dude, look back through the thread. No one grad been table to definitively locate the problem. Which is why you should just save yourself some time and buy a new laser deck. Make sure its the right model for your particular PS3 and you'll have it working again in no time.

2. buaile

buaile Member

OK, heres my direct experience.

I had a PS3 that was not playing any type of disk, game, music or movie.

I got a new laser on ebay and replaced the original but still the same problem.

A few months later I came across another PS3 with exactly the same problem and got another laser on ebay but from a different company (the two were different models so I couldn't reuse the laser I had bought previously) and the machine started playing any disk I put in. Yippee.

Then I thought about the original machine and decided to take a punt on buying a new laser from the second company put it in and lo and behold problem sorted.

So my experience in summary is:
    A PS3 not reading discs was the problem in the two instances I came across the problem.
    A laser purchased on ebay not working does not rule out it being a laser problem.

Hope this helps

3. serane

serane Member

Thanks, buaile. Did your discs not spin?

4. buaile

buaile Member

To be honest I didn't really look at the player when it was open so I cant be sure about that, but the symptoms were that the drive icon on the top right of the screen gave the indication of reading but there didn't sound like there was much spinning going on.

5. rartemio

rartemio Member

what is the correct laser that is suppose to go into a cechh01 i bought two cechh01 and one had dual and another had single. the one with the dual i bought a new bd for it i placed the control card in the working bd and the bd seems to be working fine the only thing is that my ps3 isnt show the disc that was inserted I'm wondering if the correct bd should have been a single laser drive what do you think

6. pmrs88

pmrs88 Member

I did a quick GOOGLE search which brought me back to this form where someone said that for the cechh01 you need Kem-410ACA.

7. serane

serane Member

8. Viperain

Viperain Member

Hello everyone.
    I have 40GB fat version ps3 that doest read cd/dvd/bd
    the problem:
    when i insert the game the disc is inserted good . there is blue light under the dvd slot turn on permanently and there is disc icon spinning on screen . but i cant hear the disc spin ...
    i read a lot - learned how to open and replace the laser and its dock - bought from ebay the stuff - KEM 400AAA and KES 400AAA like i had - replaced laser and dock but still doesn't work...
    what else can it be? bad motherboard ? what else can i try?
    thank you

9. buaile

buaile Member

As per a post I made earlier, dont give up on the laser just yet. Assume the replacement is also faulty (happened to me) and send it back to whoever you bought it off for a replacement and try again.

10. Viperain

Viperain Member

but in your problem: the disc was enter correctly? and the light was always blue or flashing blue?
    i bought from zhuzhuchaina. they are reliable?

11. HappyBunny

HappyBunny Member

Hiya all - thank god for this forum!!

I bought a replacement bluray from eBay (risky, but I'm seriously impatient and my PS3 completely stopped dreading disks so I figured replace the drive).

On receipt of the drive I opened up my PS3, fitted the replacement drive and fired her up. Unfortunately it looks like the replacement drive is misaligned as it will not accept disks at all. I guess it could also be the little trip-switch at the top (I forget what it's called).

So, I waswondering - what would you guys do? Is it worth me contacting Ebay as the seller hasn't responded to me which could take weeks to resolve or should I take the (hopefully) good laser from the replacement drive and fit that into the old drive that at least let me put disks in?

Cheers m'dears :X

12. buaile

buaile Member

Yup, exact same symptons before I changed the laser as after. Disk went into the machine correctly, on screen icon showed activity, as I said before I cant quite remember if there was noise from the disk spinning in the machine but I dont think so.

As for the company you bought from, sorry I cant really say if they are good bad or indifferent, but my honest opinion is that you were sold a dud - not necessarily maliciously just sometimes these things happen.

13. TheHabit

TheHabit Member

14. Raven2260

Raven2260 Member

I am having a problem with my Bluray drive. I have a 80GB 4 port fat PS3 and the drive is not loading/ejecting disc. When you power it on the bluray drive is not spinning. I took it someone and they swap drives and nothing happened so he said it could be the 4 pin power on the motherboard going bad. I had a YOLD ps3 laying around so I change the bluray player and tried that manually eject to see if I could get the drive to spin and nothing. So I was thinking could it be my drive controller thats bad and not the ps3? I think the tech swap out drive controllers when he put in a good bluray drive to test out the PS3.

Another question I had is lets say my drive controller is bad if I get a new one would I at least be able to watch movies on it. I know the drive is married to the MB and that PS3 games are out of the question and I believe so is PSN games but I really dont care if I cant play games at this point as I will probably get a new one for christmas but if I can at-least watch movies I could use it in my other room.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  15. johnyb62

johnyb62 Member

Could use some advice...
    I am trying to help out my cousin whos PS3 stopped reading discs, so I took the unit apart and tried cleaning the laser (single lense version) but no joy. I noticed although the head moves along it's tracks the disc does not spin. Although I have read a lot of info and emailed part suppliers - I am not sure if the disk will only spin if the laser can pass the initial checks or that it could be the motor thats spins the disc at fault?

I have seen on ebay people selling the unit with the deck but I dont want to waste £40 on the wrong part so would appreciate a steer...

16. thecizzle

thecizzle Member

I know this is a very old thread, but would anyone know which blue ray drive I should get for my system. Model: CECHE01. I have a similar problem and I need to replace the drive, but I want the right one.

Update: I found it. Always know what you're talking about before you start talking about it. This is where the info is ---> http://www.gamerepairworld.com/ps3_laser_lens_kem-400aaa.html

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  17. meraven

meraven Member

Hi all,ive just read through all theses posts and some resemble my problem but none are exactly the same so i thought id post mine and see if anyone can help...

I have a 2 year old+ ps3 4oGB,its worked perfectly till last night,my nephew tried to play socom confrontation and it wouldnt recognise there was a game inserted,i tried dvd's and audio cd's still nothing,ive taken it apart to see if anything had been inserted into the blu ray drive but nothing had,having read some of these posts ive checked the ribbon connections and they seem to be in place,i left the top off and it spins game disks for 4-5 seconds and tries 2-3 times but wont spin dvd's or cd's,the lens moves up n down the disk but i couldnt tell if the laser came on or not,i foned sony and they were very unhelpful can anyone out there help...PLEASE!!!...i have to confess to NOT being very technically minded so plain english in your replies please.
    Thanks
    John

18. buaile

buaile Member

Sounds like the laser to me. To be honest from my experience the main problem people have with a PS3 are down to the laser. It is worth risking a few quid to see because unless you know anyone with a spare laser to check it out you are not going to know for sure until you try a new one.

19. meraven

meraven Member

Hi again...what and where is the little trip switch located?

John

20. johnyb62

johnyb62 Member

Thanks for the advise, I risked it and went ahead with the laser & deck (just in case) and it worked fine. Not sure the deck was required but it was only a couple of quid more and cannot be purchased on its own so worth doing.