1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 compatible video creation thread (tsMuxeR etc.).

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by Ryu77, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Subtitle support is on the Authors to do list with tsMuxeR. I myself would like to find a way to include subs in a PS3 compatible file. For now I am using the hardcode method which basically burns the subtitle into the video, meaning it can not be turned off. I am using that with Chinese audio so I know that I will always need the English sub, so in this case it doesn't matter. With this method you could encode to any video codec you desire.

However, I would like to find a way of including subs as a switchable track option, as I have some asian friends with limited English, but at this point I don't have any satisfactory method. You could use ReJig to mux a subtitle file into the VOB container but I have had issues with ReJig messing up the aspect ratio. Also mkv2vob produces a VOB without FF or REW ability. I can't remember if ReJig fixes this issue.

Here's a link to ReJig... http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/rejig.cfm

The subs must be in .sup format for ReJig. You can use txt2sup for that. Here it is... http://w15.easy-share.com/11804231.html

Ohhh... Too many possiblities, too many different applications... The truth is out there Scully!

I haven't really dedicated much time to experimenting with ReJig though so I will play around with it some more and see what I can come up with. If you make any advancements please post your findings here.

2. atomicxl

atomicxl Guest

I know how to do that, but i'm not good at tweaking setting for H.264 encoding. I download stuff thats at a way lower bit rate than what I use and it still looks way better than the stuff I encode from DVD. It might be because I use one pass, but still it looks better. If I re-encoded i'm pretty sure i'd make it look worse. Plus my computer is pretty fast, but H.264 encoding still is far less than real time. Doing one pass with everything set for speed instead of quality, it still take 3-4 times the length of the content.

You said the PS3 can read AVCHD dvds. If you could convert SRT/AAS subtitles back to the native DVD format and mux those into a .vob using the programs you listed, would the PS3 be able to read those?

3. zr123

zr123 Member

Just a question.

Why does a 1080p HDDVD rip go from 1920x1080 to 1920x800 by the time I'm done the entire process? Should it not maintain it's FULL HD 1080p resolution @ 1920 x 1080?

4. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Don't know, haven't tried yet... lol! I'm too busy with all the other applications that I have. If you know where to look, there are so many blu-ray/HD-DVD tools being released. I'm trying to work out the best combination to achieve quality results with a all the different HD movie combinations. I listed the tools needed to Tiago to create a VOB file with subs... I just haven't tried it myself yet. Feel free to have a crack. If you have any success, please post the details here... :-D

5. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

?? That can't be right. What is giving you this information? Does the video look normal when you play it?

6. zr123

zr123 Member

It does, but even on the PS3, it shows the resolution as 1920x800, however when I press the info button on my TV, it says "1080p".

Samething with the computer, the H264Info program also says it's 1920x800...

7. sukhvail

sukhvail Regular member

That's because the aspect ratio is 2.35:1, not 1.78:1. Don't worry, you're not losing any video; black bars just fill the extra 200 or so pixels.

I have a problem with my mkv to mp4 conversion. I usually use mkv extract gui to extract the .h264 and audio streams. The biggest pain is that most videos are avc level 5.1 instead of 4.1 so i have to use h264 info to change the level. However, instead of just hex editing the file, it reconverts it which takes ages. So the question I have is: can I change the level without h264 info? I f@#king hate that program.

8. tiagodm

tiagodm Member

I tried it but it seems it crashes all the time when I'm about to join everything in the vob again (video *.m2v + audio *.dts + subtitle *.sup)

Here is the error whithin windows environment :
    AppName: rejig.exe AppVer: 0.5.0.5 ModName: msvcrt.dll
    ModVer: 7.0.2600.2180 Offset: 00025b61

I also tried it with IfoEdit but it also crashes... no luck for me :(

I'm trying to put the files in an avi container with subtitles and (.h264) using MeGUI. I dont know if that will work (and if it works, I dont know if it works on PS3 - i have other player at home). I'll post the results after I finish and test it.

9. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

It wont work. The avi container doesn't support switchable subtitles. Just a thought... What about the .divx container? Which is basically an extension of the avi standard allowing menus and subs etc. Does the PS3 support DivX ultra? I am going to look into this...

10. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Oh Yes, you are 100% correct. I didn't think of that.

I don't have any problem with h264info. Yes, it takes a couple minutes but that is because it needs to create a duplicate of the file with the profile level changed.

I am sure that tsMuxeR will have the level change component sorted soon enough, meaning we can avoid using h264info altogether.

11. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

I just checked the mkv2vob changelog and it seems they have addressed the FF/REW issue. This could now be a good option for PS3 compatible files with subs. Of course mkv2vob wont mux the subs. You need to use a VOB authoring program. The latest version also encodes to 640kbs rather then 384kbs... Duh! I don't know why that wasn't implemented in the first place. That was one of the major annoyances I found with it. Well, it's fixed now. :-D

I am about to give it a try... I'll post my results here.

12. zr123

zr123 Member

Sighhh...

It looks like I'm back to having the same problems again.

I get audio but no video... I'm following the exact same steps and everything. Even using the same file that worked once, but not again.

Aside from the profile being 4.1, is anything else supposed to be selected or clicked in the H264info program?

13. zr123

zr123 Member

Alrighty, so I've narrowed it down.

Something's going wrong when the files are being split using MKVMergeGUI. Am I supposed to be doing something in particular?

14. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

I just checked out HDBDSplitGUI which you said you were using before. All seems good. Files play no problem... So you can create the m2ts first and split it that way if you prefer. It's probably a lot easier. I am sorry to take you away from your original method.

It can be complicated to work out where the error lies when using a few different applications to compose the m2ts file.

15. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

There are so many applications coming out for the new HD formats, it's hard to work out which ones work best. I am spending a lot of time testing different applications and methods.

Also, I tried to use the mkv2vob then re-author in ReJig to add the sup subtitle. All seemed like it was going well and DVD folders were created. It played on PowerDVD (with a 4:3 aspect ratio, same problem I had before. I know this can be fixed though through some hex editing). Subtitles showed on track options but when I enabled them they didn't actually show, even though PowerDVD indicated that the subtitles were on... ? So I don't know what went wrong there.

16. zr123

zr123 Member

No problemo!

"Write PPS Every Picture" in H264Info, do I unclick that?

17. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Yes, you must have accidentally checked it. I would say that is where your problem lies... Leave all other fields blank except for the level change box.

18. tiagodm

tiagodm Member

Ok, Im trying to make it happen two ways : I'm trying with a .divx container and with .mp4 container with subs. When I know something more, I'll post the results here.
    Thankx

19. sukhvail

sukhvail Regular member

h264 info takes 10 hours for me just to change the level. What build are you using? btw, i don't think that its because my comp is that slow as it has a P4 @ 2.66ghz and 2gb of ddr2 ram.

20. tiagodm

tiagodm Member

I use alpha .13 included in mkv2vob and works fine (5 mins.)