1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 compatible video creation thread (tsMuxeR etc.).

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by Ryu77, Jan 30, 2008.

1. sukhvail

sukhvail Regular member

OMFG i hate this program. I tried the one with mkv2vob and the length of time it takes doesn't change. One thing that i have noticed is that the time frame is set to 500000. Is there any way to change that?

UPDATE: I downloaded the newest build of h264info.exe(.18) and its going considerably faster. So if anyone has the same prob as me, try the newest build found HERE

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  2. zr123

zr123 Member

Ryu77,

Sorry to keep bothering you! But I'm going to need your help yet again!

I tried another movie file (MKV) and I get the exact same problem AGAIN! Only audio... no video at all.

I followed the exact same steps and tried it 3 times, but no luck. The files show up on the PS3 perfectly fine, but when I try to play them, something is wrong.

What should I try? I'm using a computer with Vista, should I try using my Laptop instead? Would that make a difference?

Almost about to give up on this thing... although I did manage to get it to work once, and then I have no idea what happened. :(

3. zr123

zr123 Member

Here's another update:

I tried the same process using my laptop and still no go.

Tried 3 different movie files! All .MKVs...

I'm using Vista, not sure if that would be a problem?

4. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

zr123, can you open up the mkv file in mkvinfo and copy all the information to a private message for me? There's a link right up the top of this page (under the "glossary" tab) that says "Compose a private message".

5. moddep

moddep Member

Hi,

The process works wonderful. Thanks. In numerous forms I've read the tsmuxer will support subtitles soon but until it does we have to hardcode the subtitles if we want to. How can I do that?

6. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Do you know how to use AVIsynth? If yes, here is an example script to hardcode the subs...

DirectShowSource("D:\ExampleVideo.mkv",23.976)
    loadplugin("D:\VSFilter.dll")
    TextSub("D:\ExampleSubtitle.srt")

Of course you need to have the compatible Direct Show Codecs installed otherwise AVIsynth can't load the video.

If you need more help on this method or related software, just ask... :-D

7. marcusita

marcusita Regular member

This is a great thread,i think it should be stickied for a while.

8. moddep

moddep Member

Thanks a lot. I did not use AviSynth before but I can use your sample I guess. I just need to find out the framerate I guess. I will try this tonight and ask you if I can't do it :)

9. evolmindz

evolmindz Regular member

i use convertxtodvd to create vob files of mkv. but this takes a long time in most cases like 4 to 5 hours. i use dvd shrink to fit the files onto a single layer dvd but will it lose more quality doing so? or should i just use dvd9?

10. tiagodm

tiagodm Member

That way you are loosing quality present in the original mkv file (I think.. it depends if you have a 720p or 1080i mkv file or not...) use mkv2vob or tsMuxer instead (wich creates .vob and .ts files respectively) without loosing quality (without encoding, just
    "unmux" and mux again in another container - vob or ts)

11. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Sorry to but in to the conversation but I have a question. None of the exe programs listed at the beginning of this thread will recognize the mkv files I have. One thing I dod notice is the files I have are x264 (not h264). Is there a difference?

Thanks, Chris.

12. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

You don't need to be sorry. This forum is meant for anyone to join into the conversation. tsMuxeR should be able to open that mkv file. x264 is the name of a codec that produces h264 files, just like there is DivX and Xvid that make mpeg4 files. So it is the same.

When you try to open up the mkv file in tsMuxeR, what happens? Do you get an error message?

13. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

If it is a blu-ray rip, then it will likely be 23.976. If it isn't and you find that the frame rate is different, you will need to replace "23.976" in the AVIsynth script to the frame rate that corresponds to your video.

14. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Nevermind, the error I was getting was in MKVectractGUI. I tried tsMuxeR and it converted a 4.5 gig file to mt2s in 3 minutes (holy cow). Was I supposed to change the level from 5.1 to 4.1?

Also, I tried making a AVCHD DVD from that converted file using Nero 7, it analyzed the file fine but then unexpectely crashed and could not continue?

15. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Funny thing, I did a free software update for Nero 7 and that fixed it, the AVCHD disc is being created as I type.

Thanks for the help and the cool software Ryu, I've been looking for something to work with MKVs for a long while. I used to be just limited to whatever Nero was compatible with... which wasn't much.

BTW, I too used to prefer Ken when I played SF2... Guile was cool too.

16. zr123

zr123 Member

Hi Ryu77,

Just sent you a PM - thanks!

17. moddep

moddep Member

I just modified your script for my paths and downloaded the VSFilter.dll and put it into plugins folder of AviSynth 2.5 (I had that version I did not install it though, It probably came together with AutoGK or etc). There is no exe file in the avisynth subfolder except uninstall. Can you help out Ryu?

18. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

I might change the title to describe the content in the thread better and see what the mods would like to do. :-D

19. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

I am not sure what is included with AutoGK, I never really liked that program too much because I like to have more control over the encoding process. I would recommend downloading the AVIsynth package. I also recommend trying AVSedit, it's a GUI for AVIsynth which makes scripting so much easier! It has a very thorough filter menu and help files built in.

20. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Yes, funnily enough just after I sent you that message, I experienced that exact same problem. I was trying to repack a 1080p mkv file into a m2ts container. All went well but the PS3 played audio but no video.

The only explanation I can come up with is that these files were encoded outside the high profile/4.1 level. Yes sure we can change the level with h264info but that doesn't remove the advanced encoding features (like P4 x 4 macroblock) used to create the video. The reason other videos have worked is that it although it was encoded with the 5.1 level tag, the advanced encoding features weren't enabled, so when we change the level to 4.1 the PS3 has no problem playing it.

So in short, for the files that don't play after the MKVextract-->h264info-->tsMuxeR process... The only thing we can do is re-encode the video. :-(

For more information on h264 and the profiles, see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H264

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008