1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 Swap Switch Tutorial

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by pizzag, Apr 22, 2007.

1. jade77

jade77 Member

great stuff people might actually start buying the 20gig ps3 now coz of the extra space left with no card reader... :)

2. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

awesome job! this deserves a sticky for sure.

Any chance of putting a video up of this to rapidshare or *gasp* YouTube? That would make it easier for dyslexics like myself to complete the job w/out soldering their finger to the BDrom drive hahah.

3. whatevs

whatevs Member

You've done an amazing thing, thank you. Truly sad though that other sites have stolen your methods. Now all that's left is to buy a blu-ray reader/writer and give it a shot...lol

4. SirRaven

SirRaven Member

Very nice job. I'd like to see someone try the extra switch method you mentioned for original functionality. i don't see how it'll work though even w/ extra switches because if it's running automatically, isn't it still passing all the same load/eject checks? Or are those simply relayed upon pressing the eject button? If that is the case, shouldn't loading be free of checks and therefore simplify your method by maintaining auto-loading but only manual ejecting?

Either way, if you or anyone is willing to do your multi-switch idea, I'd really like to see the process for it to maintain original functionality.

Props for coming up with this, unfortunately, I see big name mod-sellers putting this into effect soon and selling it as a $50 modchip. That'd really stink.

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  5. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Nice method pizzag,and it sucks other sites are taking credit for what you have done.I have a method I'm working on also,but I don't want to post it up because I know someone will steal it from me.Then sell it to make a profit,which would happen if I released it.

6. Supagrafx

Supagrafx Member

First of all, let me say thank you for coming up with this grand solution to ps2 b'ups!!! I would like to know more info concerning the multiple switches as well. Also and more importantly, the 20 gig ps3 model, has no ability to leave the switch hanging out, is this or not correct? I believe the 60 gig has the retractlable panel that lifts up and down for the sony smart cards, ect...,... Since mine is the 20 gig, I'm thinking the casing or this part, won't lift up to allow the switch to penetrate through the case..... Any ideas where to place the switch on a 20gig model?

7. sniper78

sniper78 Regular member

Ok let me get this streight. This will let me boot ps2 backups without sm? I have firmware 1.32. I'm just kind of confused.

@supagrafx--it sounds like u can mount that switch where the card readers would be in the 20gb inside the case. Theres prolly just free space in there.

8. Supagrafx

Supagrafx Member

Yeah, but you have to switch the switch, which means the switch has to be on the ps3 exterior. I just bought the switch at radio shack, mine has a red plastic switch top instead of black!!! Anyways, not sure yet if I'm gonna carry through with this, as it seems I might have to drill a hole where smart card would have been so that the switch sticks out. I'll at least solder all the connections except to the ps3 in case I change my mind and carry through. I have one more question, the voltage output with various voltage selections like the one pictured, how much and where to get? I've seen ones for arcade pcbs that output 5,12,24 volts, but nothing this small. Radio shack had the toggle switch, but not the voltage adaptor...

9. RavenLife

RavenLife Regular member

OKay....

ive seen this alover the net - since i first read it here - and disregared as bull...

simple question here

can anyone other than the origianal poster confirm this working

would also love to see this working in video format....

10. sniper78

sniper78 Regular member

I bet this works. I just don't want to open my ps3 to play ps2 backups when the ps2 is right next to my ps3 already to play backups. kool tho, good job.

11. RavenLife

RavenLife Regular member

not really ther answer i was after

my ps2 in in the drawer - ready for playing

im more interested in the possibillities of the exploit

guessing still not working then?????

12. udayrulz

udayrulz Member

Can anybody confirm if this works with FW 1.7 and do you need swap magic to run PS2 backups

RegArds
    UdAy

13. Supagrafx

Supagrafx Member

The author said on the original site posted that any original ps2 game could be used, making swap magic useless.

14. realTNT

realTNT Member

I know alot of people my be scared to try this and its understandable.

the ps3 is alot of money to piss away if you mess up doing it. But, in theory this should!!! work with PS3 "back-ups" if you have a blu-ray burner. of course like PS2 games have an encryption that was broken, blu-ray does have one too.

Once that is fully broken and able to be "backed-up" it would work with PS3 games because the switch allows you to eject and load any type of disc with out the PS3 knowing that the disc was removed.

the reason you need A original disc of A game you want to play is because all you need is the playstation boot info. You would have to put an original PS3 game in 1st, let it read the boot info, then use the switch to eject it, put the back-up PS3 game in and you should just be able to play it. It works the same with PS2 games.

So in Theory PS3 should work as long as you have a blu-ray burner. Now that being said, that doesn't mean that playstation won't get around that with a simple update. I know how they can for the most part for PS3 games, but if you have Swap Magic for PS2 with the switch there really shouldn't be away for them to mess that up for current Playstations.

I don't want them to think of it if they haven't already. Now that the secret to screw sony is out, they will redesign the PS3 were you couldn't put a switch on there like that. too bad for the ppl that don't already have one.

15. Spender85

Spender85 Member

It's not worth getting excited over this IMO as it would extremely easy to patch in a firmware update.

16. Supagrafx

Supagrafx Member

That's what I was thinking too. A new patch could tell the ps3 to check the disc multiple times, not just once, like randomly, during play, instead of the supposable initial one time check media pass. Well, at least I can paint the ps3 for now until something more viable surfaces or if in fact br burns indeed work with this.

17. BonScott1

BonScott1 Guest

It is like "back to the future". Oldschool solution for the new generation ;). I applied this procedure to my first PS2 console with Swap Magic. It was six years ago.

18. pizzag

pizzag Member

That's exactly where i got my idea from to do this i googled ps2 eject switch, thought about it a couple nights and then tried it. and there isn't much chance of messing the ps3 up because all you're soldering in the ps3 is 2 wires to the eject motor. as far as the extra switches to retain original fucntionality, that is just so it works like it did when you bought it. if you wanted to play backups you would have to turn the automatic stuff off. and when you wanted to play originals of ps1, ps2, or ps3 just put it back on auto. and also, i saw on a certain ps3 news site today that they now have my tutorial up on their site prolly claiming that they did it which is untrue. this was my idea and i put it into motion. the funny thing is i tried posting it on their crappy forums and was banned for posting a link. i also have someone who is going to send me a ps3 bluray backup so i will be able to see if that works also. i can already tell you that it will, as ps3 games do not have checks YET. Yet being the key word. i've already gotten alot of emails asking me to do this to theirs, which is not a problem. and no, you do not need swap magic for this to work. just an original ps2 game will do the job.

19. pizzag

pizzag Member

and also people, think of this. if they do make a patch or whatever, there are already ways to bypass firmware detection for games. and i can confirm this working on firmware 1.7 which is what i am currently at. when i installed the switch i was at 1.32, then 1.54, and now 1.7.

20. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Hey Pizzag I already stood up for you at QJ & Maxconsole on this topic but to some forum users not the places themselves as they did the right thing by giving credit to you and where it came from. If you also go back to page 1 here it shows basically the same thing I said.